The Mitski Discography Rate | Puberty 2 write-up posted | Deadline: Midnight (EST) on Jan 25 | The Popjustice Forum

The Mitski Discography Rate | Puberty 2 write-up posted | Deadline: Midnight (EST) on Jan 25

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by fatyoshi, Nov 23, 2020.

?

What is your favorite Mitski release?

1. Lush

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Retired from Sad, New Career in Business

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Bury Me at Makeout Creek

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. Puberty 2

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  5. Be the Cowboy

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. [​IMG]

What a year it's been... Between broad events like covid/lockdown and more lowkey personal things the year (or new decade) never felt like it truly got off the ground. With so much time for introspection, I've found myself thinking about the 2010s a lot. At times, even a bit of nostalgic feeling for the later years of the decade. The gag of it all being that some of said years weren't very good either but at least they weren't like This. It truly feels ages away sometimes.

What I'm trying to say is that this line of thinking has pushed me in the direction of hosting this rate. When thinking of the 2010s, no musician springs to mind faster than Mitski. Add in the fact that I was craving another rate after hosting my first earlier this year and it just made too much sense.

Mitski entered my life during a peculiar time. Around 2013 and 2014, my passion for music faded heavily and I had all but stopped seeking out or listening to new stuff. For a bitsy, I wasn't even finding much comfort in my mainstays. This changed in early 2015. During some aimless web browsing I saw someone talking about two albums, one called Retired from Sad, New Career in Business and the other Bury Me at Makeout Creek. The titles piqued my curiosity and I gave them a listen. They clicked immediately and that was it, I was in. Those albums were more or less responsible of the resurgence of my musical exploration.

In the time since then, Mitski has been a fixture in my life. 5 albums worth of stellar material, collaborations of varied kinds, multiple live shows (remember attending concerts? it's been 84 years), the soundtrack to many late night meltdowns. I'm sure others have similar stories of their own.

My goal with this rate is twofold. One one hand I want this to be a place to celebrate the material contained within the song list. My favorite parts of PJ rates are the emotional core, whether that be commentary, tidbits or details dropped in posts, or just the love for the material that can be felt. I love it all and hope to have some of that in here. I know there's a pretty sizable Mitski fanbase on here already so I'm looking forward to sharing this rate with everyone.

Second, I hope this might serve as a solid jumping off point for those who are either completely new or only somewhat familiar with the material. The rate list is a bit lengthy but I'm gonna try to work with a solid deadline among other things to make it more palatable to newcomers.

As far as the material goes, I've formed a comprehensive list of 66 songs covering all of Mitski's released material. This includes solo material released under her name, songs as part of another band, collaborations, and covers. I didn't choose to make any of the tracks optional because the content that could fit is in such a small amount. I hope that's agreeable.

Let's get into some rules/guidelines:

• Rate all 66 songs in the rate out of 10. Decimals are acceptable and also help break ties so have at it.
    • You can have one 11, so use it wisely. 0s are also fine but ballots with a ton might be questioned and/or tossed.
    • Commentary is up to you. Send as much or as little as you'd like.
    • Be nice or I'll fucking eat you. This is a rate on a pop music forum, it isn't that serious. I want everyone to have a good time. It's okay for someone to not like your fave or vice versa. Unless it's blatant trolling, not everything needs an explanation or defense.
    • Please use the PM friendly song list in the post below for your ballot.
    • Submit ballots to me by midnight (EST) on January 11, 2021. I know with the holidays happening not long before this deadline things can get a bit tied up/messy so please keep me updated on how y'all are doing and maybe we can work with an extension. I didn't want to overdo it with the first date.

Otherwise that's just about it. Have fun, enjoy the music, hear something new, and so on. Welcome to the PopJustice Mitski Rate!

Please don't post until I say it's fine/make some placeholder posts.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    LE0Night, Serg., Remorque and 12 others like this.
  2. [​IMG]

Lush

Liquid Smooth -
    Eric -
    Brand New City -
    Real Men -
    Wife -
    Abbey -
    Bag of Bones -
    Door -
    Pearl Diver -

Retired from Sad, New Career in Business

Goodbye, My Danish Sweetheart -
    Shame -
    Because Dreaming Costs Money, My Dear -
    Humpty -
    Circle -
    I Want You -
    Square -
    Strawberry Blond -
    Class of 2013 -

Bury Me at Makeout Creek

Texas Reznikoff -
    Townie -
    First Love / Late Spring -
    Francis Forever -
    I Don't Smoke -
    Jobless Monday -
    Drunk Walk Home -
    I Will -
    Carry Me Out -
    Last Words of a Shooting Star -

Puberty 2

Happy -
    Dan the Dancer -
    Once More to See You -
    Fireworks -
    Your Best American Girl -
    I Bet on Losing Dogs -
    My Body's Made of Crushed Little Stars -
    Thursday Girl -
    A Loving Feeling -
    Crack Baby -
    A Burning Hill -

Be the Cowboy

Geyser -
    Why Didn't You Stop Me? -
    Old Friend -
    A Pearl -
    Lonesome Love -
    Remember My Name -
    Me and My Husband -
    Come Into the Water -
    Nobody -
    Pink in the Night -
    A Horse Named Cold Air -
    Washing Machine Heart -
    Blue Light -
    Two Slow Dancers -

M. Roosevelt & Mitski

Ego -
    Nightcall -

Voice Coils - Heavens Sense EP

Heaven's Sense -
    An Atrium -
    You in a Place for a While by Yourself -
    Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair -

Covers

Fireproof -
    I'm a Fool to Want You -
    Let's Get Married -

Collaborations

Wait (with Ryan Hemsworth) -
    Between the Breaths (with Xiu Xiu) -
    Susie Save Your Love (with Allie X) -

Extra

Cop Car -

[​IMG][​IMG]

The majority of the tracks can be found in playlists linked above (thanks to @aux for making the Apple Music one) with a few exceptions. The M. Roosevelt & Mitski collab EP is on Bandcamp, the Voice Coils EP is on Bandcamp, and the covers are available on Youtube and other places. I have provided links to them all in the song list.​

LE0Night, Island, Serg. and 14 others like this.
  3. [​IMG]

Results TBA​

LE0Night, Serg., Remorque and 9 others like this.
  4. Last edited: Jan 17, 2021 at 2:29 AM
  5. Albums Stats TBA​

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  6. Last edited: Jan 16, 2021 at 11:43 PM
    LE0Night, Serg., Remorque and 11 others like this.
  7. One last time, welcome to the PopJustice Mitski Rate!

It's fine to post now xx​

8. aux

aux

I'm so fucking ready. I cannot wait to cry my way through the song list.

[​IMG]

LE0Night, Serg., Remorque and 8 others like this.
  9. This rate is just what I need so I can finally listen to her first 3 albums.

10. Omg it's the @auxprint! I'm excited for this and I preemptively hope Pink in the Night does well. Also Susie Save Your Love getting rated in two places simultaneously, mmm yes!

Remorque, Phonetics Girl, aux and 3 others like this.
  11. [​IMG]

I'm ready

LE0Night, Island, Remorque and 5 others like this.
  12. Gonna try and do this bc I really want to get into her music!!

13. Thanks and welcome to anyone who has already shown up. I'm finalizing my tag list and will be getting some tagging done either later this evening or tomorrow. I'll follow that up soon after (probably after a few days) with a bonus post or something of the sort.

I'm also giving consideration to some listening sessions for the rate tracklist if there's enough interest. A decent time for everyone would need to be decided in addition to how the listening sessions would go. Whether it's one or two big sessions to get through the list or maybe a couple of smaller ones (an album a session?) and so forth. Feel free to share any input.

Let me also take a second to extend an invitation for anyone who wants to volunteer to write an elimination for one of their faves or whatever. I'm happy to write about everything but variety is nice and guest eliminations are always a gag.

LE0Night, Serg., Remorque and 6 others like this.
  14. I've always wanted to do a deep dive into her discography so this is the perfect excuse. Will try to do this!

15. Let me get some tagging done since I can't sleep ddddd. If you get tagged and you've already been in here please bear with me, I'm working from a list.

---

[​IMG]

Hi, if you're getting tagged here it's because I've either seen you post about Mitski on PJ (her thread or elsewhere) or you've engaged with any of my posts about the rate. If you aren't interested I won't tag you again, I'll be trimming down the tag list to only those who are interested after the first round.

@A-Bond
    @Andy French
    @Animalia
    @atrociousjoe
    @Bangers&Bops

16. [​IMG]

Hi, if you're getting tagged here it's because I've either seen you post about Mitski on PJ (her thread or elsewhere) or you've engaged with any of my posts about the rate. If you aren't interested I won't tag you again, I'll be trimming down the tag list to only those who are interested after the first round.

@Beautiful Child 2
    @BeingBoring
    @BeingNormal
    @BEST FICTION
    @constantino

17. [​IMG]

@Cutlery
    @Deer Stop
    @Diet Pop!
    @DinahLee
    @D_ni

18. [​IMG]

@Doenjang
    @drewsky
    @enjoy
    @Euphoria
    @fancygreen

Serg., constantino, Doenjang and 2 others like this.
  19. [​IMG]

@flyingwill
    @hamicle
    @Heartthrob
    @HippoSteaks
    @Jonathan27

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.