The Morning Show (Aniston, Witherspoon + Carrell) | The Popjustice Forum

The Morning Show (Aniston, Witherspoon + Carrell)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mikal, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Well this looks pretty fucking good.

The red coat! Along with that Theron/Kidman/Robbie movie about Roger Ailes it's going to be a fun Autumn for the takedown of men in newsroom settings. A shame it's on Apple TV really because it looks like Jen's best role in a very long time.

timothy_b, stuaw, Leo1977 and 4 others like this.
  2. It looks really really good, and Jennifer looks like she's hitting ALL the emotions. She's an incredibly underrated actress.

3. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

Quite. I'd clock her as the premier example in our era of someone whose one iconic role and celebrity combined to completely over shadow her talent. She is of course partly responsible for that, but I'm glad she's finally going to dramatic television, a move that seemed like a no-brainer for years.

4. I can’t help but blame Jennifer’s own choices for her lack of success. She is a brilliant actress in the right role - of which Rachel is definitely one, and she deserved every Emmy she won for that role - but seeing her IMDB is depressing. Be more adventurous Queen!

5. BTG

BTG

It’s a shame she wasn’t able to turn The Good Girl into the breakout role many pegged it as. She slipped far too easily back into a run of mediocre comedies. It’s too easy to blame Jennifer for that though. She was a ‘comedy’ actress of a certain age who probably found the offers of great scripts drying up as each year passed.

The film/TV landscape of 2019 for actresses over 30 is a million years more expansive and full of opportunity than it was 15 years ago.

6. Yes, that’s a fair point. I imagine she wasn’t getting too many interesting offers.

ohaimanabu and BTG like this.
  7. I didn't care for Rachel so much as a kid but I recently rewatched all of Friends and even though I'm the biggest Lisa Kudrow stan, Jennifer really stood out in so many episodes.Her comic timing was so spot on. In fact I'm gonna see what films are on my streaming services of hers because I know I've missed many.

Andy French, bonnieetclyde and Zinone like this.
  8. The Object Of My Affection is a great film of hers.

And I still stand by that she was robbed of an Oscar (ok, a nom at least) for Cake.

itylts, stuaw, Remorque and 1 other person like this.
  9. Reese seems miscast . . . Like if you're casting a young upstart you'd surely want a wider age gap than 7 years? Reese and Jen seem like peers.

I mean I'll watch it and it will hopefully be great but that stands out as a weird choice.

10. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

I'm so mad this is on Apple TV, lord knows how I'm gonna watch it. It looks great. I've always had a soft spot for Jennifer.

Andy French, Laurence and Remorque like this.
  11. The trailer/premise is giving me Morning Glory: DRAMA teas.

Remorque and POPGASM like this.
  12. This looks like such a mundane network show. Aniston and Witherspoon feel above this. I'll go into it with optimism, but that trailer did not excite me.

13. Island

Island Staff Member

I love it when Jen does her "honey" thing.

14. Same. It just looks so...dry.

lushLuck likes this.
  15. Yea, Jennifer herself has said she's really struggled to get out of a box she's been put in. I think people assume once you've achieved that enormous level of fame and popularity there's nothing you can't make happen, but once the powers that be have decided what you are I think its hard to break out of it. Drew Barrymore said when she was promoting Grey Gardens that she had to really convince the director to give her a shot because his first reaction was "she's the romantic comedy girl". I'm sure for Jen its the same reaction in those conversations.

That said, I rebuke the idea that Jennifer hasn't been a huge success. She's one of the highest paid actresses in the world and - despite this idea thats been put into the universe and reiterated that her movies are all flops - she's actually had more hits than misses at the box office.

Remorque likes this.
  16. I don’t think anyone is denying that her movie’s have been hits - it’s just that they are mostly a bit naff with the odd gem every few years.

17. And her insistence on working with Adam Sandler.

Though saying that, Murder Mystery broke Netflix records so what do *I* know?

ohaimanabu likes this.
  18. Her performance in Friends with Money is also excellent. Plus, she had one of the best 30 Rock guest spots ever.

19. I loved that film. In fact - that director is brilliant, after watching that I discovered her other films as and they are all fantastic - real little gems.

crash9081 likes this.
  20. Island

Island Staff Member

Her 30 Rock guest stint was the first time she genuinely made me laugh.

Dee91, ohaimanabu and stopthestatic like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.