The Morning Show (Aniston, Witherspoon + Carrell) | Page 9 | The Popjustice Forum

The Morning Show (Aniston, Witherspoon + Carrell)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mikal, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Absolutely elated for her win because she genuinely was outstanding in The Morning Show. Every scene she was in was electric. That showdown with her daughter and the pizza is just so fucking excellent!!!!

I’m irked, however, that a lot of the conversation around her win has been lost among the chatter about her reunion with Brad and the perverts pointing out her nipples were visible through her dress when she accepted the award.

Holly Something likes this.
  2. Jen's nipples have been visible since the Friends days. Move on!

3. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

I watched Cake yesterday, and it wasn't perfect, but Jennifer's performance... I mean, the scene where she sees the framed photo of her son on the wall? Holy shit.

I really hope this win for The Morning Show fires her up for more dramatic roles. I'd love to see her truly explode this decade.

neinzedd, Humes and sesita like this.
  4. Yeah, I'm still a bit annoyed she was snubbed for an Oscar nom for it cause she was excellent in the role.
    She doesn't do a lot of dramatic roles but she really shines when she does (The Good Girl)

neinzedd likes this.
  5. So well deserved.

This show is being SLEPT on. It’s amazing television.

Anticonformity likes this.
  6. I'm liking the show more then I thought but episode 5 was ROUGH! Hoping it picks back up.

7. I'm watching this now, only a few episodes in. Jennifer is excellent. Mark Duplass is excellent. Billy Cudrup is excellent. Reese's character is not working and she was miscast (or rather miscast herself) even if the character did work. We'll see how this progresses.

8. Seen quite a few people say Reese was miscast. I’ve not watched it yet so I can’t say. Who do we think should have been cast instead?

9. Well again, I'm early in the season but it seems like (even if its not explicitly said) that she's supposed to be younger than Alex (Jen's character). Billy Crudups character wants Reese's character on the show because he wants it be fresh and entertaining and he wants Alex pushed out, in large part, because she's getting older. The idea then exists that Bradley (Reese's character) is a desirable candidate because she's younger. And while Reese is younger than Jen its not enough to make a real difference. They seem very much like peers. So it might have helped to cast a younger actress and it feels weird typing that since pushing out aging women is part of the show, but... yea, that might have made a difference. I don't know who necessarily would have been better because some of the problem here is writing. Rachel McAdams would actually have maybe been really good here and she's only 2 years younger than Reese, so maybe its not about age but about persona? Reese seems like Jens peer in a way Rachel doesn't, probably because she's been famous longer. I don't know. This is really rambling now.

Beyond that everything about the character so far is trying too hard. Even her fucking name is try hard. And Reese usually excels - in fact is best - when playing high strung, highly ambitious, not always very nice characters (see: Election, Big Little Lies). But she's just over doing it here. The character is really one note, Reese is chewing up the scenery with a southern accent that sounds really forced despite Reese actually being southern (which she reminds us in every interview she does). The good news is it just makes ma girl Jen look even better and Alex is the role of her career. You can feel how good she feels saying some of these lines.

10. Rachel McAdams would be a decent casting choice and before anyone jumps and says "she's already done Morning Glory"... that didn't stop her from making About Time after bombing in The Time Travelers Wife.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    scottdisick94 and sesita like this.
  11. Ah, got it. I definitely agree that Jennifer and Reese seem like peers!

12. I don’t think Bradley is meant to be a younger, sexier version. I think the show made a point of how little she’s progressed in her career for her age. She’s supposed to be a piece of red meat for the morning show audience, not a new hot thing, like the equivalent of adding Sarah Palin to a presidential ticket.

Definitely agree the writing could’ve made things more clear though.

13. I'm on episode 5 and..... a metaphor laden Sondheim musical moment??! This show is ridiculous and I love it.

14. Reese does an okay job, but yeah - I feel like she didn't give the chaotic energy required for the role. I feel like Emma Stone would have done a really good job. I'm not her biggest fan, but I feel like Jennifer Lawrence would have suited it quite well, too.

Also, Gugu snapped in the monologue she had in (I think) the penultimate episode.

4Roses and sesita like this.
  15. Emma Stone would be so grating in that role.

I think Reese is kinda perfect (when isn't she? One of the best actors working today). It just takes a while for the character to be written in a consistent way but hopefully that'll be smoother in season 2.

16. I've finished the season and wow. The best show I've seen in a long time. The finale was incredible. Jennifer deserves an Emmy. Mark Duplass deserves an Emmy ("It was always for you. Always" - ugh my heart!). Gugu Mbatha-Raw deserves an Emmy. Billy Crudup and Karen Pitman at least deserve nominations. Reese deserves an Emmy..... as a producer.

What a show.

RainOnFire, DiscoRobot and sesita like this.
  17. [​IMG]

RainOnFire likes this.
  18. This series started out strong, lost its way half way through but the final couple of episodes were a complete home run. Jen was magnificent throughout.

19. Can I bump this one more time to give one more thought? I don't wanna seem like I'm just harping on Reese but that final frame of them when she says "So get loud. We hope the Fred's and Mitch's of the world - " that doesn't seem like Bradley to me. It's just Reese. The way she delivers the line, the way she looks saying it. That to me was the running problem with her performance. The writing was uneven for that character and by extension the performance was uneven. In some moments she really seemed like she was playing the character of Bradley Jackson and in other moments she seemed unsure of how to play it so she defaulted to just being Reese Witherspoon, and that big final moment where she and Jen are blowing the lid off everything Reese seems like she's reading news off the teleprompter still. I get that for Alex its naturally more emotional because she's admitting guilt and Bradley wasn't there during the time of the events they're talking about so she can naturally be more composed, but it still just felt like Reese wasn't sure who Bradley was there. And that final moment of dialogue where she says ""We hope the Mitch's of world" she just looks and sounds like Every Character Reese Witherspoon Has Played.

I guess I'm just harping on about this because otherwise it was a flawless final 15 minutes of television. It was one of the best season finales I've ever seen and Jennifer is so captivating in those final moments and she's so amazing that it doesn't matter that Reese isn't.... but it's still frustrating that she isn't.

PopCrushed, RainOnFire and sesita like this.
  20. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

I'm honestly so glad you brought this up because that one line nagged at me for days. I think I was willing to overlook it because the previous 15 minutes of the finale were the best Reese ever was in the role in the entirety of the show, but to have her final line be that and for her to deliver it with all the anger/enthusiasm of reminding people to eat their vegetables or something... ugh. It actually really bothered me so I'm glad you said this!

Still, I can't remember the last time I watched an episode of a show and immediately watched it again right after because I was so mesmerized. Such a fantastic finale.

Also I don't think we ever discussed the hilarity of Kelly talking to Bradley mid-song as if that was a natural thing that anyone would've done while performing their single on a talk show.

Drew likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.