The Nelly Furtado Singles Rate (WINNER REVEALED!)

Re: The Nelly Furtado Singles Rate (Voting Closes May 4)

I was surprised how poorly the singles represent her albums. Almost all my favorite tracks are non-singles!

Does anyone need me to extend the deadline?
Otherwise I'll close the voting on Sunday at 4 pm CET (I think that's 2 pm GMT) and start revealing results a few hours later.
I'm hoping a few more people will participate.

I completely forgot about this.

In fact, I don't have time to do it now. Will do it tomorrow night!

The Spirit Indestructible should've been a much bigger hit than it was. I'm proud to say that I own one of those 6,000 copies.

Just did my part in this. I'm ready for my holy trinity Say It Right, Do It and Explode to slay.

RainOnFire

Staff member

Oh shit I totally forgot to do this. I'll send my scores in soon!

RainOnFire

Staff member

I spent the last two hours listening to all of her singles, and seriously, what a phenomenal run she's had. I tried to be stingy with my 10s just to highlight my favourites, but honestly, I don't think she has a bad single. A few songs got some middling scores but that was purely due to them being a little boring or unmemorable, not outright stinkers.

I'm already mourning the early loss of the Spirit singles. I think they're all fantastic.

I'm preparing my scores! Just deliberating on a couple. Hope I sneak in in time.

Oh crap! I won't be able to get this done now.

I really forgot how amazing 'Powerless' is.

Oh no, why is everything closing on the 4th!

Would've loved doing this.

they / them

Yeah, I kind of ran out of time for this one. I'll obviously still be here for the results (and if Powerless does really badly I'll hate you all forever, but myself most of all wondering if I could have made a difference...).

I'm hoping that those who didn't get to participate will still provide commentary along the way since most people just sent me their scores.

I'm on 'Night Is Young' so I won't be long!

I probably know about 60% of these, and I'm not sure I'll have time to get acquainted with the rest, so I don't think voting will be an option

Same here, so I didn't vote. That list of singles did make me realise that I always underestimated her a bit, though. Turn Off The Light, Shit On The Radio, Try, Maneater, All Good Things and Say It Right are all quite fabulous. The winner will probably be either Say It Right or Maneater, but Try has always been my number one.

Re: The Nelly Furtado Singles Rate (VOTING CLOSED!)

So, let's get this started ...

Coming in last place ...

28. Night Is Young

6pif9fd9.jpg

Overall Score: 4.46
Highest Score: 8 x 2 (CorgiCorgiCorgi, Keifer3194)
Lowest Score: 0 x 2 (NecessaryVoodoo, A&E)

There are no losers in the Nelly Furtado Singles Rate but if there were, "Night Is Young" would most definitely be one of them. Only a handful of Nelly's singles received 0s in this rate and this is the only one that received multiple ones which should give you an indication of how well-liked she is / was around here.

"Night Is Young" was recorded for her best of album, cleverly titled "The Best of Nelly Furtado". It's a song about having a good time (yay!) and enjoying life (woo-hoo!) and it really isn't that great, is it?
NecessaryVoodoo certainly didn't feel the need to be nice here, calling the song "so generic that even Rita Ora might balk at recording it". Ouch. strangekin was more favorable in his review, stating that "it sounds like a song from a pretty enjoyable tampon ad".

Next up we have ...

27. Fotografía (feat. Juanes)

Un-D%C3%ADa-Normal.png

Overall Score: 5.02
Highest Score: 9 x 2 (eyeline, JuanJose)
Lowest Score: 0 x 1 (strangekin)

Even though it's technically not a Nelly Furtado single, this duet was still included on her best of album. According to Wikipedia, it was 'extremely commercially successful' which is probably a lie since I couldn't find a picture of the single cover in high resolution anywhere (hence Juanes' album cover). Seriously though, it peaked at #1 in Spain and also reached the top spot on the Billboard US Hot Latin Songs chart so I'd say it did well.

As expected, there isn't too much anyone had to say about it. NecessaryVoodoo called it "perfectly serviceable but not a Nelly track I would choose to listen to if not for this rate". eyeline however praised the song as a "classic slice of Latin Pop heaven".

Here's one more ...

26. Bajo Otra Luz (feat. La Mala Rodriguez)

Bajo-Otra-Luz-single.jpg

Overall Score: 5.41
Highest Score: 7.5 x 3 (eyeline, RainOnFire, Keifer3194)
Lowest Score: 2 x 1 (Jacques)

"Bajo Otra Luz" was the third single released from Nelly's fourth studio album "Mi Plan". The album won a Latin Grammy for Best Pop Album which is not the same as 'Grammy for Best Latin Pop Album' because that would be way too easy. The title of the song translates to "Under Another Light". The song has a pretty nice video which features Björk's swan dress.
Do you want to know more? Didn't think so.

Last edited: