The Paloma Faith Rate | #36 & 35 'Quite delicious' | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

The Paloma Faith Rate | #36 & 35 'Quite delicious'

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by BubblegumBoy, Aug 30, 2021.

?

What is your favourite Paloma album?

1. Do You Want The Truth or Something Beautiful?

41.2%
  2. Fall to Grace

11.8%
  3. A Perfect Contradiction

5.9%
  4. The Architect

29.4%
  5. Infinite Things

11.8%
  1. From The Architect probably

BubblegumBoy and Maki like this.
  2. Why do people hate The Architect? It's the best.

Markus1981 and BubblegumBoy like this.
  3. Here's the HQ version of "You're so Sad":

Not sure if it would help its placement... probably not.

As for the first album track to leave, I hope/expect it's one of her boring ballads (preferably "Love Me as I Am").

4. It's got the highest highs for me and is my favourite of her albums. But there are a couple of duds that brought my average down a bit.

5. Noooo! I love it. I think we're going to have wildly varying favourites in this rate.

6. Well its not from 'The Architect'....

[​IMG]
    The Bigger You Love (The Harder You Fall)

[​IMG]

(From: A Perfection Contradiction)
    Average: 6.031

High Scorers: 7.4 x 1 (@saviodxl )

Low Scorers: 4 x 2 (@Phonetics Girl, @Markus1981)

Our first album track down but yet another cover! Originally recorded by The Sisters Love who were a R&B/funk ensemble. The track was released in 1970. It was later covered by the Four Tops and The Supremes. I’d love to know how she came across this track and why it was included on the album but this information evades me.

My Thoughts: (7) I find this one a bit sleepy and Paloma seems to drift through the track without doing much

Commentary:
    @Maki (7.25) I keep forgetting that this one is a cover, since it's a pretty obscure song. Paloma has done some PJ Retro style digging here. Listening to the original, which is already a good song, this pales a bit. It's a cool cover, but some of Paloma's high notes at the end are very jarring and the key change just prolongs that.

@saviodxl (7.4) I jumped when she screamed the first "the bigger you laaaaaaaaauv"

Next time: Another collaboration...

7. A bit surprised to learn this is a cover nn.
    But hey, shouldn't be out so soon as it's not the worst cover of the rate!

8. Well... that's definitely not a song I expected to see leave as her first album track. The thread title/comment is funny and makes sense, though.

I do like "The Bigger You Love (The Harder You Fall)", but think that 7.25 I gave it was a bit too much, even though it's evidently a good song. The main issue I have with this track is that Paloma's voice doesn't really suit it and lacks some type of rasp to make these high notes work - that becomes apparent once you hear the original version. Still, there are a bunch of worse songs, so this could've stayed for a bit longer.

Looking at the scores, it was very consistently scored, which didn't really do it any justice in this case, given that the highest score is 7.4 and most of them were middling. Speaking of which, this song also has an achievement of having the lowest high score in the entire rate, so there's that.

9. It's time for my lowest score to make its exit...

[​IMG]
    I’ll Be Gentle

[​IMG]

(From: The Architect)

Average: 6.309

High Scorers: 8.5 x 1 (@Sprockrooster)

Low Scorers: 4 x 2 (@BubblegumBoy and @saviodxl) 5 x 1 (@Phonetics Girl)

I’ll Be Gentle was written by Paloma and Zak Abel. Talking to HMV, Paloma explained that when she wrote it, various people told her the song sounded like a John Legend song. Paloma had previously worked with Legend on ‘Take Me’, so she hit him up and he added his vocals. Paloma has performed it live on tour as well as on TV (see videos below).

Speaking to accredited source, The Sun. Paloma tells us the song was inspired by the abuse targeted at her online. "I find it quite hurtful. I've had really awful things said to me on social media.” Shame she couldn’t have channelled that hurt into a better song...

My Thoughts: (4) This is my lowest Paloma score, not just because of John Legend but also because the song just sounds so sleepy. It had no place being in the first half of the album... or on it at all, let’s be honest.

Commentary:

@saviodxl (4) With my score for this song I definitely won't be gentle.

@Maki (6.5) Disney ballad meets charity single. As much as that sounds awful, I find it cute enough.

Next up: we lose two tracks from one album!

10. Both The Bigger You Love and I'll Be Gentle are snoozy and make sense as early exits.

11. I had no idea Zak Abel had a hand on this track. Now Zak feat. Paloma (or vice-versa) is something I'd love to see!

12. Yeah, no surprises that "I'll Be Gentle" is the first cut from "The Architect", especially given its reception during the Watch2Gether session and the inclusion of John Legend. While it's not my ideal first elimination from that album, it's definitely among the weakest songs and I obviously won't miss it at all.
    Also, "Take Me" is worse than it.

This better be "Fall to Grace" (or any other album's two weakest songs).

13. I agree with @Maki that while I'll Be Gentle sounds awful on paper, it's actually not that bad. Though I only gave it a 6, and am not mad at all it's already out.

14. Nope dd

[​IMG]

Press Lightly

[​IMG]

(From: Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful?)

Average: 6.39

High Scorers: 9 x 1 (@Phonetics Girl) 8 x 1 (@Sprockrooster)

Low Scorers: 3 x 1 (@Markus1981) 4 x 1 (@tylerc904)

‘Press Lightly’ appears as Track 11 on the iTunes bonus edition of DYWTTOSB. The song is written by Paloma accompanied by Samuel Dixon as writer and producer. Given Dixon’s track record you’d think he might have written something a bit stronger. There’s not a whole lot else to say about this track!

My Thoughts: (7) Standard bonus track filler. Fine as background music!

Commentary:

@saviodxl (6.5) Lyrics are giving me "bottoming for the first time in a while" vibes.

@Maki (7.25) Very smooth and jazzy, I like this one - I often think it's a cover of some 40s song. It does feel a bit too sleepy in a 'background music' way, but it just flows really well and the subtle melancholy is a really nice touch.

What will be next off the album?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  15. Are you fucking kidding me?!?! So y'all just saw Itunes bonus track status and floored it, while the absolute sludge of her post-debut ballads is dripping all over this rate like in that classic glue-spill gif???

Luv ya @BubblegumBoy but maybe this rate was a mistake.

16. Hmm I wouldn't have had it leave yet but it's definitely the weakest track from the debut, so it makes sense it was a bonus. I actually prefer a couple of the b-sides to it as well.

17. "Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful?" era losing a song before we touched "Fall to Grace" is surprising. "Press Lightly" being the first cut from it, however, isn't that surprising, but it's still a pretty song that should've outlasted a lot of weaker songs (including two on the actual debut).
    Not really a loss for me, since it's in my three lowest scores from that album/era.

The next cut from the debut should be either "Broken Doll" or "Romance Is Dead", but I assume it's going to be one of the B-sides.

18. Not 'I Love You' but 'I Luv Ya'. That's no good. What am I supposed to think about that?

I'll do the next elimination tonight. Someone has correctly called it. Whilst we are here, can we appreciate Paloma's lewks on her current tour. (I got tickets to her tour next summer which I'm very excited about!)

19. [​IMG]

I Just Wait

[​IMG]

(From: Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful?)

Average: 6.43

High Scorers: 8 x 2 (@BubblegumBoy, @soratami ) 7.5 x 2 (@bonnieetclyde , @Maki )

Low Scorers: 3 x 1 (@Sprockrooster )

‘I Just Wait’ was released as the B-side (remember those?) to Stone Cold Sober, Paloma’s debut single back in June 2009. The song was written and produced with Ian Barter who also worked on a few other tracks from this era. There’s very little information online but apparently ‘I Just Wait’ featured in a binge drinking public information film. Slightly ironic considering the accompanying single's title!

My Thoughts: (8) ‘I’m surprised this was demoted to a B Side, it would have been a strong song on the album’

Commentary:

@saviodxl (6.1) Some B-sides are B-sides for a reason

@Maki (7.5) I kept bumping my score for this one the more I listened to it, mainly because it's one of my least played Paloma songs and I had no recollection of how it goes. The chorus has something emotional about it and it's quite lovely overall, if a tad too long. I can see why it was left off the album, as it wouldn't bring anything special, but it's surely not the weakest from this era.

Next time: we lose another two songs from another album. And they both share a word in common. Guess away...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  20. Even though I don't really consider it a bigger loss, "I Just Wait" has some beautiful moments and should've stayed a bit longer for sure - plenty of weaker songs are still in. I think the B-side status and the length (it might be the longest track in the entire rate?) surely hurt its chances to do even remotely well. It just doesn't sound like a song that would get much high scores and that showed, unfortunately.

I found these three possibilities
    Any combo is far from ideal for me (in a sense that each pair it has one song I love and the other don't care about at all), so now I'm worried a bit.
    You can also pair the title of "Only Love Can Hurt Like This" with some tacks from that album, but there's absolutely no way that one is leaving anytime soon ddd

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.