The Paloma Faith Rate | #36 & 35 'Quite delicious' | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

The Paloma Faith Rate | #36 & 35 'Quite delicious'

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by BubblegumBoy, Aug 30, 2021.

?

What is your favourite Paloma album?

1. Do You Want The Truth or Something Beautiful?

41.2%
  2. Fall to Grace

11.8%
  3. A Perfect Contradiction

5.9%
  4. The Architect

29.4%
  5. Infinite Things

11.8%
  1. You better not do one of my 10s dirt

2. This? This is a disaster! I can't believe Jess Glynne rejects are beating songs that are actually memorable.

3. The debut losing so many songs this early doesn't sit right with me.

4. [​IMG]

Love Only Leaves You Lonely

[​IMG]

(From: A Perfect Contradiction)

Average: 6.66

High Scorers: 10 x 1: (@Phonetics Girl)

Low Scorers: 5.25 x 1: (@Maki), 5.5 x 2: (@Sprockrooster, @tylerc904)

‘Love Only Leaves You Lonely’ was written by Paloma along with Raphael Saadiq, Taura Stinson and Dylan Wiggins. The three of them also produced the song. Saaqid has worked with a plethora of artists, such as Erykah Badu, Stevie Wonder and Joss Stone. Whilst Stinson has written for the likes of Kelly Rowland, Kelis and Destiny’s Child.

The song was first previewed in June 2013 at a performance in Liverpool and was made available as a pre-order preview before the album’s release.

My Thoughts: (7.8) This is a weird mix of good and boring. The chorus is actually quite good but the verses are a bit of a snooze. It's maybe a bit too cheery for a sad song?

Commentary:

@Maki (5.25) That short instrumental intro is by far the best part of the song, which says a lot. This is just boring and doesn't even try to get the attention of the listener. Also, I'm getting "Fall to Grace" vibes, and that's not really a good thing. Okay, the electric guitar is a nice addition, but I'm nearly asleep by the time it kicks in.

Next time: we lose another track from 'A Perfect Contradiction'

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  5. Same. Especially "My Legs Are Weak" leaving nearly before the entirety of "Infinite Things" and majority of "Fall to Grace" is a damn mess. It should've been top 50 at least.

At least "I'd Die for You" and "Love Only Leaves You Lonely" (my joint lowest remaining score and least favourite song from "A Perfect Contradiction") are out. I didn't expect to be the lowest scorer for the latter, but looking at its scores, everyone scored it lower than an 8 except from @Phonetics Girl, so...
    Maybe it's "Ready for the Good Life"? I'd surely like to see that one out anyways.

6. Love that no one spotted in the last elimination that I put choruses instead of verses. Tired brain!

[​IMG]

Taste My Own Tears

[​IMG]

Average: 6.69

High Scorers: 8.8 x 1(@saviodxl)

Low Scorers: 5 x 2 (@Sprockrooster, @Markus1981)

‘Taste My Own Tears’ was written by Paloma and Stuart Matthewman. Stuart is known as being the guitarist/saxophonist for Sade. Production comes from Matthewman as well as AC Burrell and G’harah Degeddingseze.

In an interview, Paloma said about Matthewman:
    "another person I really clicked with was Stuart Matthewman, who is Sade's co-writer. Basically I found him very easy to work with because to me he is really like a beautiful facilitator. In that I could just hum something to him and, though it could seem like a really shoddy idea, he would somehow immediately just play the right chords that would make it sound like something really special. So yeah, I think working with Stuart was actually one of the best co-writing experiences I've ever HAD - just because he works in very simple ways".

My Thoughts: (7.5) I’m probably going to say it for most of the tracks on this album, but I literally can’t remember how it goes. *re-listens to track* I like the production on this, but it does drown Paloma out a bit and you kind of forget to even listen to the lyrics. I imagine it’s quite fun live.

Commentary:

@Maki (7) I like the 60s vibes here, it's quite charming. Again, it lacks a proper punch, despite the nice elements of the production.

Next time: we lose two extras in a row!

7. Not me being the high scorer with a 8.8

I'm pretty sure it's not Sigma's, so Well hello let's celebrate that

8. "Taste My Own Tears" is a perfectly fine song that could've outlasted some tracks from other albums, but still far from my faves. It does stand out sonically on the album, though it doesn't do much and the consistent scoring again reflects that.
    I'm afraid I know which two are leaving, but I won't mention them not to jinx it.

9. [​IMG]

Whats A Girl Gotta Do

(From: Extras)

High Scorers: 8.9 x 1 (@saviodxl) 8.75 x 1 (@Maki)

Low Scorers: 3.5 x 1 (@Markus1981) 5 x 1(@BubblegumBoy)

‘Whats A Girl Gotta Do’ is the earliest extra in the rate. Released in 2009 (just a week before Paloma’s debut album), on Basement Jaxx’s fifth album ‘Scars’. The album features a range of artists such as Santigold, Kelis and Sam Sparro. Basement Jaxx went on to record one more album after this. Most recently the duo composed a track for a children’s TV show!

My Thoughts: (5) ‘Well this sort of goes nowhere doesn’t it?’

Commentary:

@saviodxl (8.9) I didn't know this and at the same time it's quite an unusual partnership, it works so well!

@Maki (8.75) Purposely overscoring this one because it's bonkers in a great way and an outlier in Paloma's discography. So much fun it's borderline annoying. I actually wish she did more of this stuff back in the day.

Next time: what extra will follow?

10. Time for the next extra...

[​IMG]

Keep Moving

Average: 6.84

High Scorers: 8.5 x 2 (@BubblegumBoy, @Maki)

Low Scorers: 4 x 1(@Disco Tears) 5 x 1 (@bonnieetclyde)

‘Keep Moving’ was released in 2010 as part of the promotion for the film ‘4. 3. 2. 1.’ The film was directed by Noel Clarke and Mark Davis. It didn’t seem to be a commercial success nor a critical one, holding a rating of 37% on Rotten Tomatoes. The film features an interesting cast, with the likes of Plan B and Eve appearing. The soundtrack featured music from Lissie, Eliza Doolittle and Bodyrox.

The song reworks ‘Tom’s Diner’ and was written intentionally as a tie-in song and video for the film. There were two different music videos filmed, one mainstream version featuring Paloma and an underground internet version featuring Deacon and Bashy. It was shot on location at Sanctum Soho Hotel.

My Thoughts: (8.5) ‘I have a soft spot for this song, I’ve had it in my iTunes since its release. The hook is pretty damn catchy’

Commentary:

@saviodxl (8) A nice throwaway song for a movie I don't know.

@Maki (8.5) Again, I'm boosting a score for this one because anything sampling/interpolating "Tom's Diner" is a great thing in my book. Yes, there's a bit too much rap and I wish Paloma was more present, but her parts really are excellent.

Next time: we return to 'The Architect'

11. I guess I'll just keep posting eliminations...
    [​IMG]

Price of Fame

[​IMG]

(From: The Architect)

Average: 6.88

High Scorers: 10 x 1 (@Disco Tears)

Low Scorers: 3 x 1 (@Markus1981)

‘Price of Fame’ is the closing track of the deluxe edition of ‘The Architect’. Speaking to HMV.com, Paloma said the song was inspired by the documentary film about Amy Winehouse, ‘Amy’. Paloma wrote the song straight after shed seen the film, saying:

‘it really struck a chord with me, how no one can look after someone and how the media played such a role in her demise, how they made her laughing stock when she was suffering so much. So I wrote a song for her with the band she recorded 'Back to Black' with’

Those writers would be Homer Steinweiss and Thomas Brenneck, who also produced the song along with Jesse Shatkin who worked on a number of the songs on the album (we’ll talk about him on another song).

My Thoughts: (7.4) OK, the lyrics are impacting and knowing it’s about Amy makes it harder hitting. But... that chorus irritates me and it really taints the song in my opinion.

Commentary:

@Maki (7.75) I definitely hear hints of her debut album here and automatically like it. It's obviously not among the best, but it's far from the worst.

Next time: another 3 word title and another person's 10

12. I'm glad this rate is inciting so much conversation ddd

[​IMG]

When You’re Gone

[​IMG]

(From: Fall to Grace)

Average: 6.95

High Scorers: 10 x 1 (@Markus1981)

Low Scorers: 5 x 1 (@Sprockrooster) 5.75 x 1 (@Maki)

‘When You're Gone’ was written by Paloma and Dan Wilson. Wilson is a Grammy winning song-writer and producer. Having previously worked on songs such as ‘Not Ready to Make Nice’ and ‘Someone like You’. He has since worked with PJ faves such as JoJo, Celine Dion, Halsey and Foxes. The song is produced by Nellee Hooper and Jake Gosling.

Paloma said she wrote this song when she had just met a guy and she was having a pessimistic view of relationships. The song is about knowing that everything might be amazing now but it will end eventually.

My Thoughts: (6.5) At this point in the album I’ve had enough of ballads and this is probably one of the weakest.

Commentary:

@Maki (5.75) This drags way too much. I like the first part of the chorus but then she starts wailing the song title and it gets worse. The weakest song on this album.

Next time: we lose a 4 word song, but nobody gave it a 10

13. I guess we're at that point that the bland songs are leaving we have not much to say about it nn. Maybe you could eliminate more than one song per post until we get to the top 40 or something?

14. Yep, of course the two extras I was fearing for a re leaving back to back. Both are bops and deserved much better. "What's a Girl Gotta Do" in particular is very interesting and should've easily made top 40.

"Price of Fame" is very cute and could've stayed at least a bit longer, I didn't expect to see it out so early. I guess it got lost among all these songs from "The Architect". And I had no idea it was about Amy - love learning about that! Definitely makes the song more touching.

And I'm very glad that "When You're Gone" is... gone.

15. OK, I'll try and do double eliminations where I can. So today we finally reach the 7 average! Lets celebrate that...

[​IMG]

It’s The Not Knowing

[​IMG]

Average: 6.96

High Scorers: 8 x 4 (@Disco Tears, @saviodxl, @Sprockrooster and @Phonetics Girl)

Low Scorers: 4.5 x 1 (@Markus1981)

‘It’s The Not Knowing’ closes the standard edition of ‘A Perfect Contradiction’. Written with Stuart Matthewman who we’ve already spoken of. The song was produced by Matthewman along with Dave Okumu, who is best known as the front man of The Invisible. Okumu has worked with acts such as Jessie Ware and Anna Calvi.

My Thoughts: (7.6) This starts quite and there are some strong vocals, then it just seems to pitter out and Paloma seems a bit bored. Maybe she had just listened to the album in its entirety...

Commentary:

@Maki (6.75) Nothing groundbreaking by any means, but it's a nice closer. I love the melody of the song's title line, though the song as a whole plods a bit.

[​IMG]

Mistakes

[​IMG]

Average: 7.04

High Scorers: 10 x 2 (@Markus1981, @Disco Tears)

Low Scorers: 4 x 1 (@Sprockrooster)

‘Mistakes’ is a song by Jonas Blue featuring vocals from Paloma. It was released in February 2020 however failed to gain much interest and failed to chart in the UK (or anywhere for that matter). The song was written by five (yes, five) songwriters, one of whom was MNEK. The song was produced by Jonas Blue and Aaron Zuckerman. Jonas followed up this flop by a number of other singles, all of which have failed to have much impact.

Paloma went on record stating ‘I feel so excited about Mistakes... I am a huge fan of MNEK... it’s a banger!’ However this is only half the story. In her documentary ‘As I Am’ Paloma is seen battling with her management and label who want to push the track. Paloma wanted to focus on her own work but her management forced her into, stating it was important for her career. Well, I guess they were wrong huh?

My Thoughts: (5) Let’s just say, the title say it all really? From Paloma not wanting to be on the track to it being such a ‘copy and paste’ production. Nothing of value has been lost.

Commentary:

@Disco Tears (10) It's so basic but I mean... gotta love a basic bop.

@Maki (7.5) Basic? Very. Dated? Very. Bop? Moderately.

Next time:we lose quite a few L words?

16. I detected a little bit of shade. I did.

17. Mistakes really is a massive bop, but it veers on the basic side a bitsy so I'm not shocked to see it bow out.

BubblegumBoy and Maki like this.
  18. Oh don't you even dare!

If I knew this rate was going to be that rate I didn't know it was, I would have tanked "the bops". These results are straight up wild!

berserkboi, BubblegumBoy and Maki like this.
  19. "It’s the Not Knowing" didn't leave much of an impression to me (and apparently everyone else) so it's a perfectly fine elimination at this point.

I thought (and partly hoped) "Mistakes" would last longer, I really like the verses. It's obviously a mindless, boppy Spotify-lite fodder, but definitely not as bland and uninspired as "Lullaby".
    "Lost and Lonely", "Love Me as I Am" and "Lullaby" - the trifecta of eliminations I would be elated to see.

BubblegumBoy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.