The PJ Debut Single Rate - THE TRUE FINAL!

We are finally here!

After a week of nominating and arguing, we have our definitive list of debut singles. 45 acts have been chosen through The Ultimate Compilation Maker thread, as well as through prior nominations on this thread.

Here are some crudely done images of some of our pop divas at the start of their career.

28u2nae.png

168s7ew.png

2uz8qrn.png

jg5ue0.png

NOW IS THE TIME TO VOTE!

Everyone has to start somewhere, so which acts hit the ground running, and which acts have changed the most? Let's find out..

The 45 acts and (arguably) their debut single are below.

Abba - People Need Love
Amy Winehouse - Stronger Than Me
Avril Lavigne - Complicated
Beyonce - Work It Out
Black Eyed Peas - Where Is The Love?
Blondie - X Offender
Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time
Christina Aguilera - Reflection
Destiny's Child - No, No, No (feat. Wyclef)
George Michael - Careless Whisper
Girls Aloud - Sound of the Underground
Goldfrapp - Lovely Head
Gwen Stefani - What You Waiting For
Janet Jackson - Young Love
Justin Timberlake - Like I Love You
Kanye West - Through the Wire
Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
Katy Perry - Ur So Gay
Kelis - Caught Out There
Kelly Clarkson - A Moment Like This
Ke$ha - Tik Tok
Kylie - Locomotion
Lady Gaga - Just Dance
Lana Del Rey - Video Games
Lily Allen - Smile
Little Boots - Stuck On Repeat
Madonna - Everybody
Mariah Carey - Vision of Love
Marina and the Diamonds - Obsessions
Michael Jackson - Got To Be There
Nelly Furtado - I'm Like A Bird
Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
Pink - There You Go
Rihanna - Pon De Replay
Robyn - You've Got That Something
S Club 7 - Bring It All Back
The Saturdays - If This Is Love
Shakira - Estoy Aqui
Sophie Ellis Bextor - Take Me Home (A Girl Like Me)
Spice Girls - Wannabe
Steps - 5, 6, 7, 8
Sugababes - Overload
Taylor Swift - Tim McGraw
Whitney Houston - You Give Good Love

If you're interested in taking part, please PM me the list above, with a number from 0 (awful) to 10 (amazing) indicating your rating for each song!

Comments are welcomed, however not required, I may end up messaging people with their thoughts on 5 or so songs, seeing as 45 is quite a lot.

Voting closes 2nd August

If you have any questions or spot a mistake, please post PM me or post below!

Last edited:
Re: The PJ Debut Single Rate (Preparations)

Could be interesting.

It'll be very difficult to justify manipulating this in favour of reality show contestants and lead-singers-gone-solo when there are a number of major solo acts whose international / breakthrough debuts are ignored for flop/buzz/region specific releases.

Let the arguments commence!

So as I understand it we PM you with alternative "debuts" for artists already on the list and also give you a selection of ten essential artists not already on the list along with what we feel are their debuts?

So as I understand it we PM you with alternative "debuts" for artists already on the list and also give you a selection of ten essential artists not already on the list along with what we feel are their debuts?

Spot on, feel free to argue your points by all means.

G

graffiti my soul

I'm assuming the deadline is 14 July, not June? Haha.

Have PMed you. I don't feel qualified to argue the case for anyone but 3 artists. All of whom have their very first releases anywhere in the world listed but I felt were better represented by their international debut singles.

It would be the equivalent of saying "Ur So Gay" was Katy Perry's debut for example.

It might be better if we decided on debut hits rather than debut releases?

I was surprised with my 10 artists. They aren't all my favourites but I felt they were a good choice of significant artists who also had notable debut hit singles. Not sure that was the remit but it's how I decided!

What do you consider a "majority vote" for changing a song choice? How do you vote not to change a song?

Mvnl

Staff member

I'm fine either way, I just hope those who dó vote vote consistently. Having Christina being represented by Reflection while Beyoncé still got Crazy In Love would be a bit silly.

'Crazy in Love'... nope.

Work It Out was the lead single of the Goldmember Soundtrack so Crazy In Love is definitely her debut single. 'Work It Out' is only on the European editions of Dangerously In Love and even then, as a bonus track.

'Crazy in Love'... nope.

Tactics Mushroom... tactics!

Work It Out was a soundtrack for a movie, not a debut single for her first album, it's not like it ever would have happened if she wasn't in the film, so Crazy it is.
Also, not Queen Bey schooling the girls and having two entries on the list!

It will be a nice for Christina to feel a sense of relevance again anyway.

Last edited:

If you don't mention a song, then I presume you're fine with the selected song.

Not at all! I'm not fully acquainted with all 40 artists' discographies, and if you're not, you can't vote fairly, can you? If only 40% of the voters are devout George Michael fans but unanimously decide that obscure 1983 release 'Hello I'm George Michael This Is My Debut Single' is in fact George Michael's debut single, it doesn't seem fair that they'd be overruled because 60% weren't interested in researching his back catalogue beforehand and just voted in order to get Genie in a Bottle swapped for Reflection or whatever. Can't you just ditch the vote and let people argue for or against certain songs, then decide for yourself whether they have a point?

Work It Out was the lead single of the Goldmember Soundtrack so Crazy In Love is definitely her debut single. 'Work It Out' is only on the European editions of Dangerously In Love and even then, as a bonus track.

Work It Out was a soundtrack for a movie, not a debut single for her first album, so Crazy it is.

Surely what we want here is Beyoncé's debut single, not Dangerously in Love's? Debut single ≠ lead single of debut album!

Mvnl

Staff member

Work It Out was the lead single of the Goldmember Soundtrack so Crazy In Love is definitely her debut single.

Whether something's a debut single or not really doesn't (or shouldn't) depend on what it appeared on. It still got released with her name on it.

Mvnl

Staff member

At least Work It Out was released internationally.

Just sayin.....

I hope you're not trying to argue Whenever Wherever is Shakira's debut single, cause that would be a very very losely approach to the word 'debut'.

Surely what we want here is Beyoncé's debut single, not Dangerously in Love's? Debut single ≠ lead single of debut album!

That's fine, but it should definitely be an objective ruling for everybody if that was to happen. So that would effect Christina, Katy and I'm sure a couple others. I just think it would be a more accurate representation of the artist if it was debut single from debut album, not from a radom movie or forgotten days as a Jehovah's Witness.

I also have a problem with the glaring omission of Queen Jenny from the Block and Ciara. Who do we have to speak to in order to resolve this mess?

Last edited: