The Pop Albums Birthday Calendar - Sound Of The Underground! Born This Way! | The Popjustice Forum

The Pop Albums Birthday Calendar - Sound Of The Underground! Born This Way!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, May 18, 2020.

1. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

2 days ago a reminder Oops... I Did It Again turned 20 had me revisiting it in full and, as someone who hits shuffle ever too often, I enjoyed it so much I decided to more frequently revisit albums on their release day. I've already started a quite extensive Excelsheet of albums I love and their release dates but I'm sure others of you will come up with additions I never thought of.

This is a topic for reminding eachother of album birthdays and possibly revisiting together.

For starters, today marks the 21th, 28th and 8th birthday of these classics:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Currently playing Millennium which has a ridiculously strong first half but the second half could really do without a shoddy ballad or two.

2. Best Millennium song:

Best obscure bonus track:

Mvnl likes this.
  3. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

It's so odd how it feels like a legendary pop album but the second half really feels 'meh' to me.
    Guess it doesn't help I did not buy it at the time so those songs don't hold the nostalgia of the singles.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  4. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Today marks 16 years since Under My Skin came out, making it only a year younger than Avril herself when she released her debut album.

I'm gonna have a listen. I'm not sure what happened between her debut and this one but I played her first album for weeks, yet barely touched this one

iheartpoptarts and unnameable like this.
  5. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

upload_2020-5-19_15-37-42.png
    Those playcounts, considering iTunes has been counting since 2010, are kinda embarrassing.
    In a 'so yeah if 10 years of shuffling doesn't even get songs played I physically own I probably own too much music?'

iheartpoptarts and Sprockrooster like this.
  6. "My Happy Ending" is still my favourite Avril song ever. The album only gets played when I'm in the mood for serious angst.

7. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Yeah I remember I found it quite angsty compared to her debut, though playing it now it really wasn't that much of a change of sound. I seriously hardly put on any full albums and this wasn't one I'd ever pick from the 100s I have so it's kind of a nice way to rediscover things I haven't played for years. And if I end up disliking a full album I guess I know it can go.

8. Unpopular opinion (drag me @DJHazey): 'I Always Get What I Want' is the era's crowning achievement.

Let me get my 00s pop-rock princess brat anthem LIFE.

Mvnl and DJHazey like this.
  9. No reason to drag, your random 11-ness is always welcome in any rate of mine. This and "Break My Heart" always come to mind, even though that did pretty well so I shouldn't lump it in but my mind always wants to.

iheartpoptarts and Mvnl like this.
  10. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

It's all about Together and My Happy Ending for me. As a whole I find the album a bit heavy though.

11. 'Together' is one of the dark-ish ones I actually do come back to quite a lot!

Mvnl likes this.
  12. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Happy 9th birthday Adulthood. I have not given you the love you deserved over those past years and will correct this right now.

[​IMG]

13. This is a really nice idea for a thread.

2014, iheartpoptarts and Mvnl like this.
  14. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Happy 13 years Trip The Light Fantastic!

[​IMG]
    I remember having to send back my copy twice because it didn't include the bonustracks as promised, and somehow in a time where I downloaded everything I decided not to play the album until I owned the right version. In hindsight I think it might have played a big part in me loving the album as much as I do cause I played the hell out of it once I got my copy (and those bonustracks are amongst the best here).
    Currently on track 5 and this album has aged very very well.

Today also marks 10 years of the sophomore album of dutch Idols winner Nikki but noone cares.
    [​IMG]

It featured some pretty decent Kelly Clarkson lite pop rock though.

15. There's always that one bonus track that's better than everything else on the album. Which one is it?

We know Nikki from PJ00s courtesy of @Sprockrooster!

Sprockrooster and Mvnl like this.
  16. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I love them both. Can't Have It All and Supersonic.

Sprockrooster and iheartpoptarts like this.
  17. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Happy 30 (?!?!) years I'm Breathless, and happy 11 years (those flew by as well) Esmée!

18. Trip The Light Fantastic was/is so good, China Heart in particular.

marie_05 and Mvnl like this.
  19. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I don't even know where to start listening today. All classics!

[​IMG]
    Sound Of The Underground turning 17 (?!?!)

[​IMG]

Born This Way turns 9 today.

And then there's this beauty making me feel ancient by turning 20!
    [​IMG]

iheartpoptarts, marie_05 and soratami like this.
  20. Just saw your tweet a minute ago! Masterpiece Theatre is one of the most underrated albums of all time.

Mvnl likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.