The Popjustice 2012 UK #1 Singles Rate (The Final) | The Popjustice Forum

The Popjustice 2012 UK #1 Singles Rate (The Final)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mushroom, Jan 1, 2013.

1. It's that time of year again and, believe me, nothing has prepared us for the horror that has befell the past twelve months...

[​IMG]

Has the UK public taste turned into the complete antithesis of popular PJ opinion, with Gotye, The Script, Jessie J, will.i.am, Chris Brown (twice!), Flo Rida and a host of other atrocities claiming pole position? Is this simply a race between beloved pop girls such as Cheryl, Katy, Florence and Carly? How does this stack up against 2011? Was Cover Drive's 'Twilight' the most baffling #1 of all time? Who will be following in Cher Lloyd's footsteps?And of course, is there a two horse race for last place as heated as the great "Club is Alive/Dirty Bit" war of '10?

So many questions which only you can answer, Popjustice forum.

If you're unfamiliar with the concept by now, you simply give each song a score between one and ten - zero being the absolute worst and ten being the best. Then you simply submit your scores to me, via PM, and I shall work out an average for each song and rank them accordingly. These are your candidates:

Coldplay - Paradise
    Flo Rida - Good Feeling
    Jessie J - Domino
    Cover Drive - Twilight
    David Guetta - Titanium (feat. Sia)
    Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know (feat. Kimbra)
    DJ Fresh - Hot Right Now (feat. Rita Ora)
    Katy Perry - Part of Me
    Chris Brown - Turn Up The Music*
    Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe
    Tulisa - Young
    Rita Ora - RIP (feat. Tinie Tempah)
    fun. - We Are Young (feat. Janelle Monae)
    Rudimental - Feel The Love (feat. John Newman)
    Gary Barlow & The Commonwealth Band - Sing (feat. The Military Wives)
    Cheryl - Call My Name
    Maroon 5 - Payphone (feat. Wiz Khalifa)
    will.i.am - This is Love (feat. Eva Simons)
    Florence + The Machine - Spectrum (Say My Name) [Calvin Harris Remix]
    Wiley - Heatwave (feat. Ms.D)
    Rita Ora - How We Do (Party)
    Sam and the Womp - Bom Bom
    Little Mix - Wings
    Ne-Yo - Let Me Love You (Until You Learn To Love Yourself)
    The Script - Hall of Fame (feat. will.i.am)
    PSY - Gangnam Style
    Rihanna - Diamonds
    Swedish House Mafia - Don't You Worry Child (feat. John Martin)
    Calvin Harris - Sweet Nothing (feat. Florence Welch)
    Labrinth - Beneath Your Beautiful (feat. Emeli Sande)
    Robbie Williams - Candy
    One Direction - Little Things
    Olly Murs - Troublemaker (feat. Flo Rida)
    Gabrielle Aplin - The Power of Love
    James Arthur - Impossible
    The Justice Collective - He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

Just to be clear, there are a few entries where it should be made explicit which versions of the song you shall be voting for:
    - With Chris Brown's 'Turn Up The Music' you are voting for the solo version and not the Rihanna remix.
    - With Florence's 'Spectrum' is is the 'Remix' only, which shall be judged.
    - With Tulisa's 'Young' we are rating the studio version of the track and not her flawless 'Britain's Got Talent' performance. That simply wouldn't be fair on others!

Happy voting and submissions shall cease a week today (8th January), where the first three losses shall be announced.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. Re: The Popjustice 2012 UK #1 Singles Rate

I am hugely looking forward to this.

3. Re: The Popjustice 2012 UK #1 Singles Rate

3 10's, and 3 0's. Also a lot of high, and a lot of very low scores.

4. Re: The Popjustice 2012 UK #1 Singles Rate

I just have one 10 and one 9. Usually the UK has good chart taste, too. :(

5. Rmx

Rmx

Re: The Popjustice 2012 UK #1 Singles Rate

Submitted. Quite some zeros and ones from me, what an awful list of songs. I think I only gave one ten and two nines or something.

However, thanks for making me listen to all this because I rediscovered quite some tracks they played at G-A-Y all the time when I was in London over the summer but I had no idea who they were, and now I know. Takes me back! Thanks!

6. Re: The Popjustice 2012 UK #1 Singles Rate

Sent mine in. That list was even worse than I thought. I didn't want to give any 10s at first, but decided to be kind to two acts.

7. Re: The Popjustice 2012 UK #1 Singles Rate

This has been an abysmal year for top 40, hasn't it? Will bear through this later today.

8. Re: The Popjustice 2012 UK #1 Singles Rate

I had no idea that Ne-Yo song was a #1...

Some right tripe this year though... Rita Ora especially.

9. Re: The Popjustice 2012 UK #1 Singles Rate

Ne-Yo seems to prance in once every summer, score a #1 completely out of the blue, and bugger off again for another 12 months.

10. Re: The Popjustice 2012 UK #1 Singles Rate

I had never heard the Hillsborough song until now, Mollie's ex! Rebecca! Paloma! Rubbish track though, as is compulsory for every collaborative charity ballad.

I gave three 10s, one of which obviously going to The Queen of British Pop, with the other two bestowed upon The Slightly Unexpected Dream Team of 2012's double offering.

I also gave a few 1s, with one of those only being saved from a 0 by the thought of all the royalties Ina Wroldsen will be getting because of it!

My overall score for the year averaged out as 6, and I guess I can't really complain about a marginally above average year of hits.

11. Re: The Popjustice 2012 UK #1 Singles Rate

'Titanium' is going to walk this, bah. I miss the excitement of the 2011 list when nobody had any idea what would go #1 and Cher Lloyd walked out as victor. That was a real Popjustice moment.

12. Re: The Popjustice 2012 UK #1 Singles Rate

Titanium is overrated rubbish. Sia needs to go back making great indie-pop and stop screeching over Guetta's dance beetz.

Call Me Maybe to win!

13. Re: The Popjustice 2012 UK #1 Singles Rate

'Titanium' has no place winning this. 'She Wolf' >>

14. Re: The Popjustice 2012 UK #1 Singles Rate

I don't hink this list is that bad at all. Don't get me wrong, it's not good. I only own 2 of the songs I think but we've come a long way since the depths of 2007/08.

15. K94

K94

This is the rate I've been waiting for - I'll be sending in scores in a few mins.

Did people listen to all the songs again before doing the scores?

16. Re: The Popjustice 2012 UK #1 Singles Rate

The only one I had to re-listen to was Heatwave because when I tried to recall the chorus I just sang Can You Hear Me in my head instead.

17. K94

K94

Yeah, I've just finished scoring them and, though I never thought I'd do this in a rate, I've given a 0 to one song as it's it's vomit-inducing rubbish.

I did give 3 10s though to 3 really brilliant songs. I think there was a nice #1 in each month so 2012 wasn't all that bad singles wise.

18. Re: The Popjustice 2012 UK #1 Singles Rate

One of the three charity records actually maintained an average of less than 1 for the first six voters which brought tears of joy to my eyes until some do-gooder awarded it with an eight and ruined my day.

19. Re: The Popjustice 2012 UK #1 Singles Rate

I would probably like Domino more if Capital hadn't been playing it every 15 minutes for the past 12 months

20. K94

K94

Same - it would have got a lil bit higher mark from me if not for that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.