The Pussycat Dolls - "React" + General Discussion | Page 343 | The Popjustice Forum

The Pussycat Dolls - "React" + General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Lucas, Oct 8, 2017.

1. I meant that Nicole never got along with other female members of a group. Not with the rest of members of Eden's Crush, not with the rest of members of the Pussycat Dolls.

2. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

And I’m replying again, that your assessment is categorically incorrect. Nicole has her personal grievances, but to brand it as "she has a problem getting along with people" is such a "Nicole vs her backup dancers" stance and lacks nuance. Nothing about either situation is black or white, and to boil it down to a very simplistic understanding for both does a disservice to you rather than them.

Chris Lala, Yuri, 2014 and 8 others like this.
  3. This Nicole hate boner people have is so tiring.

Yuri, freeheadmess, HolyWater and 4 others like this.
  4. It’s Ashley’s 40th birthday today and both Robin and Nicole have left big heartfelt comments on her Instagram post. I can’t help but wonder where Ashley, Kimberly and Jessica sit amongst this whole reunion/legal mess. I think Carmit is definitely #TeamRobin

5. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I do feel really gutted for her.

Vixen, sesita and Sugaboy like this.
  6. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

I mean, I might be and AM biased, but PCD really are one of the hardest working dance-centric girl groups. GRL was literally the only modern Western girl group that made dance as important as the hits after them. I can imagine what it's like to be at home lamenting being at one of the year's biggest media stages bc of a fucking administrative dispute out of your hands.

7. Nicole did too? I only see one from Robin now.

8. Danity Kane?!

rubirubi likes this.
  9. Danity Kane was the best girlband ever.

Hahaha. Their two albums are masterpieces.

10. Girlicious has great choreography and this makes sense considering it was another one Robin's groups.

rubirubi likes this.
  11. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

And there they go.

12. Nicole has just had one of the most horrifically mismanaged careers in modern pop. And some of that truly has to be bad management, but some of it is bad artistic instincts. Killer Love (some obvious filler aside) was a top tier pop album for its day. Yes, it lacked any originality - the songs were absolutely facsimiles of other hits by other female pop stars - but they were high quality rips. And she was succeeding with it overseas! And then when it came time to try and get the album out in the US she kept saying in interviews "We're going back in to make the album more urban. In the US I'm better known for more urban music". But.... it was 2011. Dance pop was ruling the airwaves. Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Britney Spears, and Stargate era Rihanna were the biggest music stars on earth. They put Right There out as the lead single here and it managed to be a top 40 hit and then.... it was just radio silence. Don't Hold Your Breath got a digital only release, no radio. She performs some awful song about how hard it is to be pretty or something on X Factor. Doesn't get released. It was all so fucked.

Killer Love
    Don't Hold Your Breath
    Right There
    Wet
    Say Yes

Fin! There was no more work to be done. That was your U.S singles run, girl! And thats before we even get started on the disaster that was her next album.

Lander, LPT, Vixen and 17 others like this.
  13. I genuinely think Nicole being the “lead Pussycat” was damaging for her solo career because she always felt a bit forced upon us as the lead. It was too much. Always front and centre, editing the girls out of videos, singing all the vocals, etc. Beyoncé at least gave Kelly and Michelle verses and bridges and wasn’t always in the middle. It felt like the public choose Beyoncé, Justin Timberlake, etc as the breakout star (even though they were clearly getting favouritism). Whereas Nicole always came across like she was forcing herself on to the public in a mean way.

Staticboombox, Lander, Vixen and 16 others like this.
  14. It always felt like a springboard for a solo career whereas Justin and Beyonce were integrated members of their groups until they naturally stood out because of their own charisma (JC was always better than Justin though). The Dolls always felt like a job to Nicole. That said, I don't think it was going to happen for her no matter what the music was like. She's incredibly talented but I don't think she's charismatic or unique enough as a persona to really break out and establish herself as a solo popstar.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    andru, neinzedd, HolyWater and 2 others like this.
  15. RMK

RMK

I think if they released Poison in the US when it originally came out in the UK she would also be in a better position. Fall 2010 is before the RedOne sound was fatigued, and she could've been apart of the wave before it ultimately dried out. She has all the talent for performances and promotion, and could've spun that into a smash with the choreo. Her management really couldn't read the room. Maybe shoot for multiple top 40 singles rather than a number one, and trust the material the artist is making.

Chris_P, Pat and zephyr like this.
  16. Not people coming for Nicole’s charisma. She’s absolutely charismatic when she wants to be. However, I think her personal issues have done damage to her to the point where she prefers to be a more reserved individual (and she has every right to be that).

Killer Love died in the US because someone decided it needed to be Urban. I can see that person being Nicole herself as she always was one for the more urban vibe as opposed to the dance-pop sound (see: the “second” album). I love “Poison” but I can still remember people commenting that she was so “desperate” for a solo hit that she resorted to “copying” Lady Gaga’s sound so not sure it would’ve been a good idea in the US. Maybe “Wet” as the lead in the US but then again that’s very LOUD era Rihanna.

Vixen, Yuri and JasonJay like this.
  17. US radio was never there for her (for stupid reasons the could be anything right down to thinking her name was hard to pronounce) and that's where things ended for her. She had so many 'first singles' too. Label tried but without radio back then you were done.

Vixen, johnoclock and lushLuck like this.
  18. There's a lot of factors to take into consideration, I feel like.

The music didn't catch on that much, there wasn't a strong concept, identity or direction of who she was as a solo artist, with a lot of rebooting and course-correction which might've affected the public perception of her career ("oh, she's a flop").

The state of the culture 15 years ago and how we viewed popstars and girlbands was... dire. I feel like her talent was extremely overlooked, and she had to do something sérious like the Phantom of the Opera and the Andrew Lloyd Webber performances for the public to start noticing how extremely talented she is.

Add to that that she tried to branch out in a moment where pop culture was also at its meanest. Blogs like Perez Hilton were at its peak, acting like crows, and they loved a character assassination, portraying strong women as difficult and helping create narratives that ended up tainting perceptions which hurt careers like Christina's, Fergie's, Ciara's, Keri Hilson's or Nicole's.

Vixen, Yuri, JasonJay and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.