The Pussycat Dolls

Absolutely adored the performance. What a way to reintroduce them back into the world.

I had to laugh when all the other girls spotlights were turned off though...

In their first two eras, were the other ladies (besides Melody) wanting to sing more at all? Or want more equality in general?

In their first two eras, were the other ladies (besides Melody) wanting to sing more at all? Or want more equality in general?

I *think* only Nicole, Melody, Carmit (?) and Kaya were signed as vocalists. Everyone else as dancers. See the Tainted Love early performances.
I never got the sense that Carmit was pissed, even if she was done so wrong.

I *think* only Nicole, Melody, Carmit (?) and Kaya were signed as vocalists. Everyone else as dancers. See the Tainted Love early performances.
I never got the sense that Carmit was pissed, even if she was done so wrong.

Thank you! I’m just trying to understand their history since they are such a unique girl group.

It seems if the others don’t have singing parts they are fine with it. Otherwise they wouldn’t have signed on for the reunion if it was an issue. They still all have a part to play.

Although Nicole did say something about them all shining, so maybe we will see that on tour.

She/her
It's a bit of a complicated situation.

Kimberley, Carmit, Ashley and Jessica were all part of the original (burlesque) dance troupe. They were dancers. They auditioned to be dancers/performers, and that's what they were initially in the troupe, and that's probably what they agreed to be in the (recording) group too.

Since the troupe was gaining in popularity, Jimmy Iovine and Ron Fair (Interscope Geffen A&M Records executives) decided to turn the troupe into a recording act. What we learned through the years is that these four girls were signed as employees of the label (not recording artists). The label had auditions up to get vocalists into the group which supposedly is how they got Nicole, Melody and 'Kaya Jones'.

The Pussycat Dolls had a bit of a long "pre-debut" period (they were "performing covers" on live television as early as February 2004, but they technically only debuted officially with 'Don't Cha' in April 2005), and a lot of it is really obscure still. We know very little of what exactly happened behind the scenes between that point and 'Don't Cha', but what we know is that by the time they debuted, only Nicole managed to get an actual recording contract deal. All the other girls in the group were "employees".

( Melody recently commented in a interview about how she had a "wage" when she was in the group, and to her eyes, it was a "poor" one if you consider the amount of money that was coming in through the Pussycat Dolls machine. )

Nicole (and others, such as Ron Fair) explained how the creation of the PCD album was initially made without the intervention of any of the other five girls. They were supposedly "presented/played" the album (PCD) when it was finished, and that's when they supposedly got Melody and Carmit to re-record some bits (I suppose to sell the "group/band" aspect of it all).

I'm not exactly sure if the real issue (except for Melody) was genuinely the "lines distribution" aspect. I get the feeling that all the other girls worked extremely hard (they maybe didn't have the recording studio hours Nicole had, but otherwise, they put the same amount of hours/work as she did), but they didn't get the same amount of cash as Nicole did. I think that was the actual issue. Them being signed as employees, having a "wage" (again, supposedly a unsatisfying one).

Now, Melody, on the other hand - wanted to sing the lead. She said so in recent interviews. She was told to "wait her turn", but said "her turn never came".

The other girls, on the other hand, I really don't know like I said. I don't believe Kimberley is that interested in singing. I feel like 'dancing' was always her true passion. But Ashley and Jessica (her in particular) have shown a much bigger passion for singing and music, so I wonder what their thoughts are on the matter.

At the end of the day, though, I do think that the girls know what they signed up for this time around? I don't think they would have agreed to do this reunion if they weren't happy with the terms offered to them?

I still think it's a bit early to talk about the dynamics of the group. They might be the same, they might change. We really don't know yet.

I don't buy the "they only had a week to rehearse / they've only just reformed" nonsense. Come on. I'm sure they've been talking about a reunion for a lot, lot longer and would have known longer than a week ago if they were going to do a comeback. Obviously the rush was down to wanting to perform on The X-Factor Celebrity but... would it not have made more sense to have spent a few extra weeks rehearsing and then perform on the X-Factor: The Band show? Seeing as that show is going to be about creating a new group. Show them all how it's done. When you think about it, it did sort of feel shoe-horned into the show last night.

I'm not dissing their performance but I do think some of it was underwhelming and they could have done a lot more if they'd have prepped for a few more weeks. I don't see what the rush was really.

At the end of the day, though, I do think that the girls know what they signed up for this time around? I don't think they would have agreed to do this reunion if they weren't happy with the terms offered to them?

Great post all around, but this is it. These are grown women and I am fairly certain they've set up a system where they all come out of this for the better; they're probably sharing profits more equally and they can all focus on doing what they do best / want to do. The history you recounted is certainly unfair and a little messy for the members, especially considering how hard they worked (recording aside) without seeing a fair return on the money they were generating, but I'm sure this time around it's set up a little more traditionally.

Puzzled how anyone could think 5 girls leaping backward offstage, hair-flipping to the ninth gate of hell and back, water falling on them from the ceiling while debuting a new song that has everyone’s attention could result in a shoehorned, “rushed” performance.

They, themselves, said they only had a week to rehearse... suggesting it wasn't that long/long enough. And others have criticised some of their performance for the same reasoning (they didn't have time for the other girls to re-record vocals or whatever). I'm just saying that I don't really get why there was a need to rush anything. They could easily have performed in a few weeks... on a show actually catered to pop groups. Instead of performing on 'celebrity X-Factor' just before Megan sings her winning ballad. It felt a little out of place to me.