The Pussycat Dolls | Page 349 | The Popjustice Forum

The Pussycat Dolls

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Resi12, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Oh my God I'm stanning the Pussycat Dolls in 2020. The song is fire!

Also, do I here the girls' voices here and there?

2. Wow, this is very disappointing. We waited 3 months for this?

The whole thing sounds flat as if the best doesn’t change throughout. The only part that’s acceptable is the ‘break’. Where are the production flourishes? It sounds like someone got the post-chorus hook down then cooked up the rest in their sleep.

Daniel L likes this.
  3. Does the song glitch in a couple of places or are those pauses intentional?

OlliMaus, sjoerd.. and Jesus Jugs like this.
  4. To be honest i’m actually really surprised they even added the extra vocals in, I fully expected them to release a mastered version of the Nicole demo so it’s cute to hear Carmit and Ashley.

This still sounds so fresh to me (intentional pauses and all) - Nicole literally served everything so they did right not to mess with it too much. It sounds current and it’s a bop plus it actually sounds like PCD and not solo Nicole.

Really can’t wait for the video now - I don’t think I’m fully prepared for the water scene and choreo.

Sugaboy and Vixen like this.
  5. Sam

Sam

First time listening this about 15 mins ago and I’ve had it on repeat ever since. Stunning.

basil, Lander, GimmeWork and 14 others like this.
  6. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

It sounds like Kim/Ash doing backing on the first verse, Carmit/Jess on the second, with Kim/Ash doing the pre-chorus, and them all joining Nicole for the chorus. Maybe wishful hearing, but I think they're all there. Carmit and Jess have very low registers when they want to.

Sugaboy, soratami, Sam and 1 other person like this.
  7. Yeah it’s Kim and Ash backing on Verse 1 and Carmit (maybe Jess too?) on verse 2.
    It’s nice that they actually added the girls vocals in. They should be more prominent in places, but the final song slaps.

Sugaboy and Mr.Arroz like this.
  8. It’s not perfect - I probably could’ve done with a few added production layers as the track progresses, and the execution of the drop-outs are a little messy - but it is a certifiable bop that stands up well against their past material. I’m pleased. It’ll get a lot of usage from me.

Whilst I don’t imagine they were aiming for commercial superstardom with this, I reckon it must’ve been quite difficult to pitch what a Pussycat Dolls record in 2020 should sound like. I really don’t think they’re far off the mark here. It’s fresh, with a well-written pop record at its core.

Agreed with @1991, the video should do considerably more to drive traffic here - perched to see it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    myblood, basil, RainOnFire and 16 others like this.
  9. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Can we also comment on how this first look:

[​IMG]

...while nice to see them together, has only improved by simply placing in these coordinated looks that draw from complimentary shades?

[​IMG]

It's a great way of noting that they're in a different (more mature) place, but that there's a stronger element of unity this time around.

Me as a stan:

[​IMG]

myblood, basil, nooniebao and 18 others like this.
  10. I'm finding the confusion over the silence baffling. It's obviously a tension building thing. In fact it better be a 'hair flip' signal to be honest.

myblood, basil, Stopremix and 32 others like this.
  11. I totally avoided the demo (the willpower that took) and just had my first couple of listens - what a serve! Pumped for the video... between this and the coronation of Queen Lipa, 2020 is giving us pop gays everything we needed.

myblood, basil, Rob and 9 others like this.
  12. It’s just something that would work much better as a visual cue than an audio one. Once the video makes sense of it (praying for said hair toss), I’ll get on board with it.

13. What is with the erasure of Carmit in the video? I know it’s only a 30 second preview but Nicole has her set-up as do the other 3 girls and Carmit is only seen far left or right in the group shops. I love Carmit and she deserves better.

MarkAnthony and Chris Lala like this.
  14. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

The booty lean-up was definitely repurposed from the X-Factor performance

15. Personally, I don’t find them confusing - I understand their purpose. I just think the execution could be a bit crisper, particularly when the rest of the song has generally impeccable production throughout (some of the flourishes are gorgeous).

However, this... gets better with every listen. Nicole’s vocal is perfect, and the amendments/additions from the demo lift it considerably.

Yes, yes, yes.

basil, sesita, Sunny B and 6 others like this.
  16. RMK

RMK

Pre-orders don't factor into the live charts. It's separate.

17. This is much better than most people will expect a Pussycat Dolls single in 2020 to be. It's quite catchy and has a strong chorus. But I feel like it stays a bit too stagnant – it never really builds to anything spectacular. I wish the end popped off a bit more. Still, it's a nice little piece of nostalgic pop. I'm excited to see the video.

myblood, basil, Crisp X and 14 others like this.
  18. Oh, this is fresh.

19. It's the perfect comeback single. BOP.

lushLuck likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.