The Pussycat Dolls | Page 460 | The Popjustice Forum

The Pussycat Dolls

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Resi12, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Whatever U Like would have made an amazing Pussycat Dolls song. It was a great evolution from the sound of the debut, a little sexier, a little darker, a little edgier. I can only imagine the iconic choreography they would have served with those beats.

Vixen, lemonsqueezyy, Verandi and 5 others like this.
  2. I don’t really know how it went in the US, Right There was maybe top 40?

But I’m glad that here in the UK, Killer Love was a hit. It went platinum, had three top 3 singles including a #1, had a tour (which was fun) and even a deluxe edition later in the year.

blaze_dave and HolyWater like this.
  3. I think that was also part of the problem. “Whatever U Like” didn’t sound different enough from The Pussycat Dolls that many commentators were just like “this might as well have been a Pussycat Dolls song”. When most acts breakout they are least try to do something different. Beyoncé is the only recent outlier as her music was in the same vein as Destiny’s Child, but by that point she herself was becoming known that outside of the group.

@Vasilios hit the nail on the head though, and Nicole knows this herself, the public didn’t want Nicole Scherzinger, they were more than fine with the packaged deal of The Pussycat Dolls.

sesita, lushLuck and johnoclock like this.
  4. They really should have released a new album in 2007 with more involvement from the other dolls. Carmit wouldn’t have left and the momentum would’ve continued.

Also, Welcome to the Dollhouse from Danity Kane is the second album that PCD should’ve made.

5. Odd that they'd think Killer Love was not "urban" enough / too Gaga as I feel it is much closer to the PCD hits than some of the stuff from Her Name Is Nicole for example (Baby Love, Whatever U Like etc).

In the end Right There was not even such a departure from the rest of the Killer Love singles that they chose it over. It deserved to smash though! I wonder what expectations the label had from her... Not pushing a song that made the top 40 sounds like a shitty move.

I cannot think of a time in that decade where promotion of an album in the US started later and it wasn't pointless though... I don't think the regional approach (as far as single releases) made much sense at that point. Poison - Right There - Don't Hold Your Breath as a universal singles run would have been fine.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  6. RMK

RMK

React being as good as it was honestly felt like a fever dream. No wonder the whole thing collapsed.

Lander, Eskapism, Vixen and 11 others like this.
  7. I'm still pressed that Steam never got an official release and a chance to flop like Nicole's other 2007 singles. What a bop.

Eskapism likes this.
  8. I will say, if Nicole was involved in picking the singles in the beginning, she's got a great ear. There isn't a dud to be found among her or the Dolls' singles, they are all bops. She's right to ask for creative control.

I wish they got to make another album.

Vixen and YourLeadSinger like this.
  9. Since when has this become the Nicole Scherzinger topic in this forum?
    [​IMG]

10. Kimberly reacted to the Nicole/Robin situation.

11. It could all still happen I guess.

12. She is so charismatic, she even makes that talk entertaining. The talent all these girls are gifted with...
    [edit: I hope it is clear that I meant nothing more than that she is a joy to watch talking because of her charisma, positivity etc. Not that this situation or her position is entertaining...]

goldfish, Vixen, Rei Ayanami and 3 others like this.
  13. I actually feel really bad for Kim. She pushed for the reunion the most since like 2017 and made a lot of effort to bring the girls in contact with each other again.

14. Not to mention pulling off that X Factor performance just a few weeks after giving birth!

15. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Just an update - I'm bringing this back to the main forum. The group status might be undecided but the girls haven't disbanded. Until we know what's going on and we see how the legal drama plays out, they're closer to active than not.

16. Yeah, Kim is fantastic, super talented as are all the girls really. I really do hope they manage to make this happen.

17. Just let it be Pussycat Dolls featuring Kimberley Wyatt and she can do all the lead vocals for new album and tour.

18. Listening to React for the first time in a while and it’s a banger, this & Buttons are their best songs. Hopefully this mess can be worked out because I really feel like they’ve got a lot more to provide as a group.

19. RMK

RMK

It would be very on-brand for them to carry on after a lawsuit, passive aggression is unfortunately in their DNA at this point.

20. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

The Dolls have always been a business prospect; there now being legal issues that are currently public isn't unsurprising. Theirs was never an organic passion project, but one built out of commercial viability. So this is literally standard speed-bump territory for any entity of its kind.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.