The Rate & Graphics Help Desk | Page 8 | The Popjustice Forum

The Rate & Graphics Help Desk

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Jun 8, 2018.

1. I've been doing 400x400, so that I could make them gifs and that they won't be so big filesize.

Maki and aux like this.
  2. aux

aux

Good evening ladies,

I was wondering if anyone could make some GIF cover arts for The Robyn Rate? They'd be only for the Top 10, so it shouldn't be a massive workload for a quick turnaround of about 10 days.

3. Thanks to @londonrain 's R&B examples - I was finally able to count the amount of 10s given by each voter for my current rate! Love these resources and thanks for sharing! :D

I'd give you all mine from the Girl Band Rates etc but they are super basic Ddddd

londonrain likes this.
  4. I just posted in here not too long ago and I hate to be back so soon but would anybody be up for helping me out with some banners and graphics for my 00s Emo/Pop Rock rate? It's waiting to be added to the queue so there should be a decent amount of time until it rolls around, I think.

I have finished all the actual track artworks myself but those have the excuse of fitting with the 00s Myspace/messy design theme. I'd rather the banners serve some actual quality. I have some stuff in mind I just wasn't sure about my skills to accomplish it.

aux and Music Is Life like this.
  5. aux

aux

Now that I've been liberated from my rate, I can happily make them if you give me some references on the style you want ":)"

Music Is Life and fatyoshi like this.
  6. I'll send over a PM.

Music Is Life and aux like this.
  7. This is quite a random question, but when posting the average scores of the songs, which decimal separator should we use - commas or dots?
    Commas are frequently used in Europe (including my country), so I'm very much used to that notation, but point separator is used in UK, USA, China and other larger territories (and is usually used in the rates here, too), which kind of makes me wonder if I should switch to that one.
    I know this is kind of a dumb question, but blame my slight OCD for thinking about something so unimportant.

soratami likes this.
  8. We're right.

They're wrong!

Another case solved ddd

Phonetics Boy and Maki like this.
  9. Better to use dots as that's what's set by default on the spreadsheet, and also how most people submit their scores. Of course using commas can work, just make sure the spreadsheet is set last correctly. Last time I did a rate I accidentally copied a handful of scores with commas to the spreadsheet and I only realised days later that they weren't being counted at all.

Verandi, Maki and Phonetics Boy like this.
  10. That may be the translation student in me, but I treat dots as just another part of the English language. So I use them in posts. I strongly prefer commas behind the scenes and my Excel spreadsheet agrees so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

londonrain and Maki like this.
  11. Yet another case of conflicting opinions, haha!

I've been putting commas on the sheet and it works perfectly fine so far - even when I change them to dots, it automatically changes the average score decimal points to dots.

Verandi, Phonetics Boy and soratami like this.
  12. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I use dots when I’m writing in English and commas when I’m writing in French. I don’t think it’s a country-specific thing; it’s a language-specific thing. So I always use dots on the forum.

13. Dots they are, then!
    This will especially come in handy because the decimal scores I've received already have dots, so it's much easier to just copy them onto the commentary sheet, instead of amending each and every score that has commentary along with them.

Although, I totally get @Verandi, that's something that will always bug me - why there isn't a universal decimal separator?

14. I don't know if it's obvious but for me it was not so it might help somebody, but when I was doing the averages on Excel I noticed (thankfully in time) that some ballots were being counted as texts instead of numbers so... not calculated at all. It wasn't even a problem of commas and dots, just the formatting of some cells.

Basically what I'm saying is: double check ddd

15. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Because punctuation varies by language generally.

Why do quotes in English get put in quotation marks “like this” but quotes in French are put in guillemets « like this » instead? Why do French question marks and exclamation marks have a space before them? Why do Spanish question marks and exclamation marks have to have corresponding upside-down versions at the beginning of the question or sentence?

16. Yeah, it's really interesting (and annoying) how there are so many uses of different punctuation marks, depending on region. Over here, we use quotation marks „like this”.
    My next question would've been: In which way to quote commentary for the rate?

17. Not sure what you're asking exactly. Do you mean in which order to put the commentary, how to format it, or something else?

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  18. I was partly joking, it was just in which 'style' do I quote what voter's commentary about the song (i.e. whether I should put it in quotation marks, put it in italic or both).

19. I was thinking that since we have an extra sticked thread in the sub-forum now, and also with the increased activity, maybe it would make sense to merge this and @ohnostalgia's graphics help thread, since both have a fairly similar purpose (helping other hosts), and neither is extremely active. It's not a huge deal but personally I find having too many sticked threads at the top of a page can be a bit annoying, and it makes threads fall to the second page really quick.

Maki and Sprockrooster like this.
  20. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Since this is a much newer thread, I think getting a moderator to merge the threads would result in the instructions in the first post being pushed to several pages back in the merged thread, so personally I'd rather not combine them.

I don't mind the instructions being put into the first page of the Rate Queue thread, though, if it's really bothering people having this extra thread pinned to the top of the sub-forum.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.