The Rate Hosting Help Desk | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

The Rate Hosting Help Desk

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by londonrain, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Flashy and extra rates are great fun, though, as long as the host can keep it up! It’s wonderful when the host clearly has a passion for the material being rated.

I think the Sugababes rate definitely takes the prize for most extra rate on the forum, and I absolutely love it. No bell or whistle was spared on that one. I’ve stanned the Sugababes for years and still learned so much from that rate.

2. I don't think I have participated or read through any Rate that I found disappointing especially not yours @pop3blow2 - you are giving Mandy the love only a true caring fan would, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that xxx

We all have our own styles and amount of detail we pour in, making this endeavour very unique by host which I love! :D

3. The only disappointing rates I’ve seen are the ones that didn’t finish.

[​IMG]

(The Whitney singles rate getting all the way to #3 and then stopping dead in its tracks is still one of the biggest rate disappointments around.)

4. I still regret I just did not add both remaining tracks in the first winners rate.

5. A new Whitney singles rate is definitely on my list of rates to do after I finish my next one!

6. Good!

That leaves me with just Gabrielle and Natalie Imbruglia to worry about!

7. For what it's worth, I Wanna Dance With Somebody won the Whitney singles rate.

8. @londonrain lending knowledge and expertise to the collective. King!

Just another 2 cents on the commentary compiling front. For the Agnes rate, I ended up making a Google webform with all of the song names and commentary, such that I ended up with a spreadsheet with all the commenters' names in the first column, and then I could go through 2 columns by 2 columns to cut and paste the scores and comments. I'm not sure that was necessarily the easiest way to do it; I probably trusted myself not to screw up a webform more than I would a spreadsheet when it comes to cutting/pasting.

I definitely co-sign on the "do everything at once" message that @soratami shared. Personally, I have found myself easily distracted trying to work through things, so I might add "do everything the same at the same time." For example, enter all your averages into your document at the same time, enter all the high/low scorers at the same time, enter all the graphics or YouTube links at the same time, (insert what applies to your rate) etc.

Lastly to quote our thread creator:
    Speaking only for myself, I know that we all have stuff going on outside the forum and life is bound to happen. If there is going to be a delay in the rate, or you need a breather, I would like to believe that most people on here would be okay with it, provided that it was communicated. Along the same lines, we are all human beings (except for me, I'm part robot), and there is always the potential for errors--especially the larger your rate gets. Your voters ought to be understanding; after all, they've committed their time to participating, and therefore they should be rooting for you to succeed. (Obviously this doesn't apply if you're deliberately messing things up.)

9. I love this thread and think your opening should be mandatory for all first time rate hosts (especially as a first time rate host!). I’ve been very lucky that all my voters have been super understanding of the life events that have bumped a smooth elimination process but it’s definitely way more work than I imagined!

10. Yes.
    [​IMG]

This is such a great and helpful thread. @beyoncésweave's Sugababes' Rate was already mentioned, but it certainly made me want to do better by Kumi, when I started her rate. Part I was definitely a bit of learning experience and in Part II I went all out with the write-ups, each taking me at least an hour to finish. We'll see if I'll be able to keep this up with two more Parts, dddd.

11. One the best things you can do for commentary is what @soratami mentioned. I make a Google Document (the one like Microsoft Word) with all the names of the songs in headline font and have the outline show on the left side. When I get a ballot I prevent having to type a person's username a bunch of times by making an autocorrect like if I type a 'd' it types out 'djhazey' for example. Now i can quickly type d, the score i gave and paste in my comment for each song under its headline on the document. Do this for ballots as the come in. The outline makes it easy to click to the song you are working on without having to scroll.

12. Yeah, that’s what I did for my 1998 rate too. So much quicker and easier when you’re doing the eliminations!

soratami likes this.
  13. I just want to say it’s okay to host things on the fly too. Like I do the scoring and commentary document, but I do all my write ups and graphics the day of the elimination. You should do some prep work, but don’t be intimidated that you need to have everything planned and written out before you start.

14. Oh, that’s what I do now. I put the commentary document together in advance, but every elimination for my 2018 rate was written on the day.

15. Like in theory I know it makes sense to pre-write some eliminations, but I just can’t do it. I need to feed off what’s been happening in the thread.

16. I pre-wrote a few of them for my first rate, but it’s not really practical. I did, however, do all my graphics in advance for the first rate, whereas I just chose promo photos from the relevant era for the second rate until you kindly offered to do the last stretch of graphics.

17. Generally I save a lot of photos for an artist ahead of time and then do the graphic the day of. I did that for the Taylor rate.

18. I usually try to make as many graphics ahead of time as possible, but that's also because it's one of the parts I enjoy the most about running a rate dd.

19. I've literally done all the 130+ artworks for my future rate (I mean I love to use Photoshop so not a problem) but if I won't get enough partecipants I will scream.

20. Yes. Honestly, as enjoyable as it's been doing the long histories of each artist for the One-Hit Wonders rate, I'm not sure that I'd want to put myself through writing commentaries that extensive again, especially as I'll have a lot more time commitments over the coming months. (And it fell way behind the schedule I wanted it to, but that's mostly because I expanded it waaaay beyond what I originally thought it would be.)

That's why, with my next idea for a rate, it's going to be one with quick-to-do posts where multiple results can be revealed at once, more along the lines of one of @DJHazey 's "Ultimate AlbumJustice/Ultimate Popstars" ones. The main challenges there would be formatting the spreadsheet, probably!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.