The Real World - Homecoming (Paramount +) | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

The Real World - Homecoming (Paramount +)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by sometimesxtc, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Watch her on Basketball Wives. The scene of her going after Duffey in Portugal? Iconic.

lushLuck likes this.
  2. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Melissa is iconic. Theeeee perfect foil to Julie.

Macsun, lushLuck and iRelate like this.
  3. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

I think Melissa though is also interpreting things right - it's fascinating to see how Julie was a symbol of America's status at the time, being religious, white, and inexperienced, but how much of a contrast she is now to Melissa and Danny, who represent so much of our progression societally. There's a ridiculous shift and it's palpable.

4. I rewatched the original season right before this and it's sad seeing what has become of Julie. She was so smart and willing to learn and grow and it seems like that was all thrown out of the window when she left the house. I didn't know Melissa ever did The Challenge, so that was new to me. I only recall when Kelly and Danny competed and of course Julie trying to kill someone later on. I wonder what really happened to cause her to pivot in such a negative direction in her life.

Beyond the Julie of it all, this was a great premiere. I love this cast and look forward to what they'll be bringing. Melissa is a freaking star. I wish we could continue seeing her on tv after this. I'm interested in learning more about Danny and Tokyo's lives. I've always loved Kelley and don't expect that to change. The two wildcards are Jamie and Matt who I found to be such arrogant, typical white men during the original season. I'm curious to see if they've grown at all.

lushLuck and iRelate like this.
  5. They’ll definitely be exploring Julie’s rocky relationship with the Mormon church, which I presume is the root of her issues. Last time we saw her on The Gauntlet 2 she was “born again” but has since left for good. I think leaving a cult-like religion like that causes a massive identity crisis and Julie seems to still be grappling with who she was vs. who she is today vs. who she wants to be in the future.

lushLuck likes this.
  6. I loved the Hawaii season and was especially obsessed with Justin. I think the first season I watched "live" was Miami which was particularly messy/fun.

Mr.Arroz, LetsGetToIt and lushLuck like this.
  7. Miami is one of my favorite seasons and probably the one I'm most eager to see a Homecoming for. Flora, Dan, and Melissa were amazing TV. Really Joe was the only dud of the cast. I wonder why they haven't put seasons 5-11 on Paramount+, when they are some of the best of the entire series. Really would love to see them in better quality than the awful VHS rips I endured.

lushLuck, Steve003, Uno and 2 others like this.
  8. I’m watching the New Orleans reunion and I’ve forgot how ICONIC Melissa is. She’s still got it!
    Julie is a complete mess.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    lushLuck likes this.
  9. I wanna say music rights, because all the music was edited out of New Orleans when they reuploaded it. I don't remember 100%, but I wanna say when I watched the first two seasons on there that the music was intact.

10. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

It's a mess that MTV would rather play reruns of Ridiculousness rather than have decent access to the programming that made it the network it is. Like 1992-2005 was such a strong era especially with Y2K and futuristic imagery, and because it's somehow considered not "old enough" but it actually is now...vintage, I think and hope it'll become a new conversation. Like this was the last era before everyone had a cell phone. Like, no Uber. No Instagram. No Facebook. No Venmo. It's still such a brilliant case study in how technology (or lack thereof) shaped us as people. Watching it as someone in their 30s rather than as someone barely in middle school is such a mindfuck.

And I'll say again, that Melissa was probably theeeee smartest person the first time around, but watching her now, she has completely evolved into an even more powerful and wise version of herself. Like, she is ridiculously on the nose of current pop culture references and presence. I stan her way too damn much.

11. I was really excited when I read that Paul’s face would appear in clips from the show, but I don’t think I could have anticipated how overwhelming it could be watching scenes that I have been so familiar with finally showing the full picture. I sobbed during all of the flashbacks. It was like erasing from my memory the fear I felt at 16 thinking that my life would be nothing more than blurred faces and hiding in the shadows. It definitely brought some closure for me. I hope it has done the same for Danny and Paul, and the countless others that watched the show wishing that we could just be seen without retaliation or the need for clever editing. It feels complete. This season will be the death of me.

lushLuck, Stopremix, Steve003 and 3 others like this.
  12. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Christ, I have been pausing this episode every five minutes or so because like I said before, this was the first season of the Real World that I watched seriously but it's triggering me to no end. Danny was one of the first gay people that I ever saw on TV when I was 11-12 (I came out at 13) and I had to deal with my parents literally making my life hell until I left for college and cut them off. And then having Melissa as a light-skinned Black person dealing with being taken seriously as Black? It just takes me back to a really raw time in my life, one that I've overcome, but still, reliving it is so real. The noughties were terrible to queer people, and to have the wounds basically stabbed in again by addressing them contemporarily is so tough, but honestly, something I think is necessary. Might be tearing up but this reunion special has really, really hit me hard. The Real World was such an effective way of depicting our differences and our need to experience them before social media. Watching this again really reinforces much of my identity but yikes. Having to unbury the dead is such a heavy weight too.

GimmeWork, lushLuck, OlliMaus and 6 others like this.
  13. I never watched the original season of this, but really want to watch the reunion. Do they include a lot of clips? The first ever Challenge I watched was Battle of the Sexes all those years ago and I remember the Melissa/Julie fight vividly, and thinking Melissa was a legend. I was so sad she never did another challenge (I've watched every single one since).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  14. Yes, they play a ton of flashback footage which easily gives context to what’s being discussed, and discussions are built around showing them footage from the original season as well. They also put the original season up on Paramount+ recently if you decide you wanted to watch it before/during.

lushLuck and tylerc like this.
  15. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

16. I remember finding Julie really cute and likable back in the day. On the reunion show she is just so beyond fake. I do really hope she takes this opportunity to actually grow as a person. My boo Danny remains very handsome and Melissa a queen.

lushLuck likes this.
  17. Wow what is Julie doing?

lushLuck, Quimogen and Mr.Arroz like this.
  18. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

I think it says a lot (of course, it's only 3 eps in) that she wants to self-produce and doesn't actually see it as a chance to demonstrate or even practice growth. It just seems to be that she still refuses to take accountability in certain situations.

lushLuck and suitechicguy like this.
  19. I went into this low-key supporting Julie but oof, girls, I can't do it anymore. She sure is making things interesting though.

lushLuck and Quimogen like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.