The Reissue Thread!

It’s clear the labels want in on the resale market, vomiting out eight different coloured vinyls for crappy pop albums which were recorded all–digitally in the first place, and then repressing it all again a year later. You just have to look at the fanaticism over on Vinyljustice, with people simultaneously trying hard to justify buying Britney’s worst album for the fifth time and ordering every different variant the moment they’re on sale anyway. Never has the Saint Etienne line “he’ll buy it, put it in a drawer, and forget he ever had it” been so prescient. But good SDEs, I fear, are a dying art, because they actually take effort.

It’s clear the labels want in on the resale market, vomiting out eight different coloured vinyls for crappy pop albums which were recorded all–digitally in the first place, and then repressing it all again a year later. You just have to look at the fanaticism over on Vinyljustice, with people simultaneously trying hard to justify buying Britney’s worst album for the fifth time and ordering every different variant the moment they’re on sale anyway. Never has the Saint Etienne line “he’ll buy it, put it in a drawer, and forget he ever had it” been so prescient. But good SDEs, I fear, are a dying art, because they actually take effort.
Last decent one I bought was The Primitives 4cd set and that was a year ago.

Why take the time and effort to put together a decent multi cd box set with extra tracks, demo's etc when you can just chuck out the album on vinyl whether it's coloured or standard with no extra tracks and people will lap it up because it's vinyl and then be all wanky about it because it's vinyl, like it's some sort of elite club

It's just laziness IMHO

8194GBnb-6S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Here is the tracklisting for tomorrow's Greatest Of The 70s CD Set, Great to see Carl Douglas Run Back on here among others.

I would love a Jesus Loves You “The martyr mantras” super deluxe edition. Listened to it today and it’s a great album. Sooooo many remixes that would happily fill a disc or two and then there’s the shelved tracks for the abandoned follow-up album “Popularity Breeds Contempt”.

The new HoJo deluxe, for In The Running, was "unavailable" (sold out?) immediately on the stroke of 1 minute past midnight on release day.

These sets are either being pressed in ridiculously small numbers, or something's wrong in the distribution chain.

And I doubt this set will ever come down much in price, if you can ever find it. The new normal.

I agree that the CD reissue market is cooling and I feel it will become more overpriced, limited-edition sets that will sell out within months weeks but I still have faith that they will still be produced. We still have continuations in the series of Prince, Bowie, Paul McCartney, Joni Mitchell, and more.

They need to start pumping out deluxe re-issues of more black artists being throwing away CDs. Missy Elliot, TLC, and Lil Kim all deserve them.

I've said this before but the digital reissues of New Edition's Heart Break and Bobby Brown's Don't Be Cruel in light of the BET New Edition mini-series were great, but would have been even better with physical reissues to show off the sleek artwork. MCA has so many artists whose work needs to be expanded and reissued. Jody Watley being another one.

It seems Anita Baker is having a similar issue as Taylor Swift regarding her masters. Hopefully she gets them back and can reissue her albums.

I've said this before but the digital reissues of New Edition's Heart Break and Bobby Brown's Don't Be Cruel in light of the BET New Edition mini-series were great, but would have been even better with physical reissues to show off the sleek artwork. MCA has so many artists whose work needs to be expanded and reissued. Jody Watley being another one.

It seems Anita Baker is having a similar issue as Taylor Swift regarding her masters. Hopefully she gets them back and can reissue her albums.

Anita is more likely to change the lyrics, resing everything, fuck about with the artwork, say "what do you mean, they've always looked and sounded like this" before abruptly pulling them and retiring (again).