The Reissue Thread! | Page 1436 | The Popjustice Forum

The Reissue Thread!

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Eric Generic, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Agree, ok tracklist - albeit The Way You Are and Fight For Ourselves are - IMHO - both bands' worst singles.

2. Why do most 80’s compilations ignore the latter part of the decade?

ohnoitisnathan and Eric Generic like this.
  3. Maybe I'm too much of a follower of 80s music, but a lot of those are hardly buried obscurities. Some I can understand the choices, but Poison Arrow is the equal-best-known ABC song, no?

4. Nice to see them using Swing Out Sister's Surrender instead of Breakout, Dead or Alive's Lover Come Back to Me instead of You Spin Me Round and Amazulu's Too Good to Be Forgotten instead of Montego Bay. Don't get me wrong, I love those latter songs. But it's nice to see their other songs get some recognition.

5. Thinking exactly the same, i would buy if they were all the correct 7inch version and not ripped from album version.

6. That's a very valid point. Rhino's Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits Of The '80s series ran for 15 volumes but stops at 1985. Their Like Omigod! 7CD box crams 1986-1989 onto the last disc.

I DJ at an '80s night (pre-Covid obviously) and always make a point of playing late '80s tunes. See below example. But a lot of the requests we get are for tracks from the earlier part of the decade.

[​IMG]

ModeRed, Blaahh and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  7. Mid to late 80s, is much more my taste and preferable I think.

idratherjack likes this.
  8. And the rebooted TOTP brand, with the 3CD sets in colourful shiny digipaks, stopped at 1986 too.

idratherjack and nlgbbbblth like this.
  9. Which was when I would have more than likely started purchasing them too-so perhaps in that respect for my balance, that was for the best.

idratherjack likes this.
  10. The Like Omigod! box set is great except for the reason you stated. It was the first thing I noticed. It was like did 1987, 1988 and 1989 not happen?

idratherjack and nlgbbbblth like this.
  11. Wouldn’t 1989 just be SAW anyway ha?

ohnoitisnathan and Blaahh like this.
  12. Classic Pop magazine is really bad for pretending the 80s stopped in 1985 too. I far prefer the latter half of the decade and I find with a lot of compilations 1987, 1988 and 1989 get short shrift. My favourite years for music too!

13. But that would be fabulous!

ohnoitisnathan and burntoutcar like this.
  14. Mais pourquoi celui-là ? Hopefully this is the start of a deluxe reissue campaign? My accountant would have to wrestle me to the ground to stop me from pre-ordering something like this for Innamoramento, L'Autre, Ainsi Soit Je, or even Bleu Noir. But 33 versions of "Fuck Them All?"

Non.

biffy77, Jóga and Eric Generic like this.
  15. I gave up with Classic Pop in the end. Are they still interviewing Neil Arthur and Andy Bell in every issue?

16. No idea, I gave up on it years ago too! I got fed up with Human League and ABC in every issue while Sinitta was cruelly overlooked.

ohnoitisnathan and Eric Generic like this.
  17. I love the entire '80s but how could anyone forget '86-'89??

'89 alone had Like a Prayer, Rhythm Nation 1814, Larger Than Life, Another Place & Time, Foreign Affair, Results, Can't Fight Fate, and so many more. Granted, Madonna and Janet are rarely featured on these compilations due to licensing but the '80s didn't end in '85.

18. The 80s as a concept to the GP is big hair, make up, synths and the general era that delivered thus was 81 to 85 I guess.

19. Wow. So many classic female artist albums there. What a run, what a year, what women!

20. so I say....thank you for the music. For giving it to me.

torontodj and idratherjack like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.