The Reissue Thread! | Page 1466 | The Popjustice Forum

The Reissue Thread!

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Eric Generic, Oct 19, 2009.

1. I like that Universal boxed this themselves so Amazon's flimsy crap packaging can't spoil it.

Blaahh, manloveuk and trussy74 like this.
  2. The set is lovely; really nicely done.

And I want to go and stay at Shep’s hotel!

biffy77, Blaahh, manloveuk and 3 others like this.
  3. Beautiful Garbage reissue postponed to Nov 5 ? Amazon IT has a new release date

4. Given that it's supposed to be a creative industry, there's a worrying number of people working on labels that have this "computer says no" mentality and are also flakey in their behaviour / approach to work. In my opinion, these are two of the worst character flaws for an individual to have.

biffy77, burntoutcar and Eric Generic like this.
  5. On CD2 of Shep Pettibone set - great so far. Some of the print is a bit small to read though

biffy77, trussy74 and Eric Generic like this.
  6. In truth, it's actually a very fickle and transient industry, particularly among young people, who take reasonably low-level roles in licensing admin and department co-ordinating as a means either just to get closer to famous people (don't laugh at this, as cliched as it sounds, it's truer than you could ever imagine, these people exist) or as a stepping stone to the job they've really got their eye on. I'd like to think it's a more recent trend but it's actually always been the case as long as I can remember, so 20 years at least.

So basically, even if you do manage to drum it into a Licensing Assistant's head that it should really just say "Eurythmics", by the time you've managed that, they've no sooner moved on and there's someone else in the role to go through it all over again with. It didn't used to be so bad before the digital music revolution meant a record company's metadata was suddenly there for everyone in the world to see and scrutinise. At least back then the data was only corrupted and what we used to call "dirty" for our eyes only and we could just patch it up as we went along.

7. Reading old Music Weeks, it's extraordinary how willing the industry was to fuck itself up. Tragic yet blackly humorous at times.

8. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Staff Member

Shep set just arrived, lovely package! And the signed print was in it, phew.

Really like having the covers of all the tracks in the book, and a little bit of narration on each. Can’t wait to listen.
    £30 felt steep, but it’s a really nice item.

9. Yep enjoying Shep, good sequencing i.e GM into DD, the Mute\Factory sequence etc. I wish it had more rarities, so it drops half a mark but damn good series starter. P.s. isn’t the PSB mix rare? I don’t seem to have it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    biffy77, ModeRed and Eric Generic like this.
  10. Agree about the sequencing. Really good. I think the PSB is an unreleased/rare variation on the more well-known Shep mix. Not heard it yet so can't say for sure.

biffy77 and Anjoel40 like this.
  11. Yes, the PSB Mix appeared in this form on a comp but not complete so this is an exclusive. They wanted to get at least 1 of 2 on this comp (ended up with 3 or more).

12. I’ve ended up ordering the signed clear vinyl from Roughtrade, as that track list is 100% pure boppery, I pretty much love every song, however, I don’t know much on the second LP so I’m going to leave that one for now. I’m just a bit annoyed Kim Wilde didn’t make it onto either vinyl, I honestly thought that would have been a given?

13. My copy of Shep is waiting for me on my doormat for when I get home from my holiday later today. Can’t wait.

As for the Eurythmics farce, I apologise that I thought it might be something to do with Dave and Annie’s decision. All they need to have is some database of fans or fan club (or an account here on Comeback Corner) that they can just ASK!

Eric Generic likes this.
  14. I wonder the situation was made even more complicated because of this:

www.theguardian.com/music/2019/may/10/hipgnosis-buys-music-catalogue-eurythmics-dave-stewart

burntoutcar likes this.
  15. No, thats to do with publishing rights. The metadata for the recordings is entirely separate and the responsibility of Sony Music's catalogue department.

burntoutcar likes this.
  16. That just makes the situation downright tragic. Assign intern who knows nothing to tag content. I’m beyond speechless.

17. As I said upthread, it's pretty much standard.

18. Imagine the mess that would ensue if the Sugababes decided they wanted to be individually credited on their tracks! Or even Atomic Kitten.
    Todd Terry, surely?

biffy77 and manloveuk like this.
  19. As I said upthread, it's less an ego thing on the part of the Eurythmics and more a simple desire (by someone, it might just be Sony's head of catalogue, I don't know) for the band's releases to show up on their individual streaming platform profiles. We are not about to see re-issues of their catalogue with both their names added.

biffy77 and Eric Generic like this.
  20. Could be!? Personally I'm hoping for either Jellybean or Francois Kevorkian next (followed by Baker himself of course).

A poptastic Jellybean set could include:
    Madonna, Eurythmics, Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, David Bowie, Pat Benatar, A-Ha, Fleetwood Mac, Divine, Debbie Harry, Cher, Shalamar, Martika, Cyndi Lauper, Billy Idol, New Order, Robbie Nevil, Sinitta, Bonnie Tyler, Nick Kamen, Donna Summer, Bangles, Rozalla, Maria Vidal, Pepsi & Shirlie, Boogie Box High, Pointer Sisters, Huey Lewis & The News, Duran Duran, Breakfast Club etc etc

A more eclectic set would be Francois K, with the likes of:
    Yazoo, INXS, Jody Watley, Diana Ross, The Smiths, U2, Depeche Mode, Eurythmics, The Cure, The Cult, Lighthouse Family, Erasure, Grace Jones, Dido, Terence Trent D'Arby, Pet Shop Boys, Alison Moyet, Mick Jagger, Joni Mitchell, Kraftwerk, Goldfrapp, Five Star, Nina Simone, Wham!, Simple Minds, B-52s, Moloko, Coldplay, Thompson Twins, Yello, Adam Ant, Yoko Ono, Scarlet Fantastic etc etc

I'm not as familiar with their work, but would be interested in the likes of Larry Levan, John Potoker and Ben Liebrand.

Whoever comes next, I'm loving this series already and enthused by the first set, have done myself four more discs of Pettibone genius to bop to, so am hoping there'll be a second Pettibone set further down the line, perhaps to round out the series.

lob0to likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.