The Reissue Thread! | Page 1502 | The Popjustice Forum

The Reissue Thread!

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Eric Generic, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Vinyl looks beautiful, but am too clumsy to dare play it outright.

manloveuk likes this.
  2. What’s your trigger point where the overall hassle of vinyl quality supersedes the pleasure of playing it?

What you’ve described is essentially the reason vinyl ceased to be the medium of choice in the eighties.

Humanracin, trussy74, biffy77 and 3 others like this.
  3. Strange. I have bought somewhere between 50-100 new vinyl releases in the last couple of years and I have not come across a single one that was unplayable. Some have had disappointing sound quality though.

manloveuk likes this.
  4. If there's mutiple skips on a track or across a record, then it's no good to me. I've overlooked a single skip, for example on the Tears For Fears and Fairground Attraction LP's respectively, but when there's several skips/jumps, I just can't listen to it. I've two record players (one quite old, one quite new) so try them out on both to same outcome sadly.

I do accept (and hope) that I am perhaps just seriously unlucky, but I surely can't be the only person who experiences these things.

Eric Generic likes this.
  5. The first Buried Treasure 70s was excellent. Glad to see they're continuing. Hope they do a second volume of the 80s and 90s ones too (both great)

Eric Generic likes this.
  6. Advice please. I want to pre-order the deluxe Debbie Gibson Anything is Possible CD (mainly for the SAW remixes to be honest) Do I go with Amazon (I am a prime member) Or direct from CherryRed? Assume price is about the same as cheaper on CherryRed site but assume that price doesn't include postage costs. From experience which seller is more likely to get the CD to me on release date?

idratherjack likes this.
  7. I'm going to be that guy: if you can afford it, please shop from the label directly. Fuck Amazon.

8. Total aside, but -
    Have you tried US pressings? I've got Alf, Raindancing, The Songstress, and Giving You the Best That I Got, and they all sound good. And I know you said you try them on two different players, but particularly with the older one, have you replaced the cartridge or at least the stylus? It seems odd to me that you'd have so many problems with skips unless there's a problem with your players.

9. I bought the first two from Amazon, but this time got the Anything Is Possible re issue direct from CherryRed itself. Think even with the postage costs, it's cheaper by a couple of pound than via Amazon this time.

biffy77 and idratherjack like this.
  10. I always buy direct from Cherry Red, money taken upfront and they always get the CD to you on release day.

11. There's a very interesting interview on SuperDeluxeEdition website to Billie Ray Martin. At some point John Earle asks her about her back cataloge and she talks about the music industry. It's very interesting and it explains a lot about the current situation.
    Side note: didn't know there's an S'Express boxset on the way...
    What about your solo catalogue? There’s never been a proper, concerted Billie Ray Martin reissue campaign, which is a shame.
    Major labels sit on rights and aren’t helpful in getting things re-released. Or sometimes they give them to companies who wouldn’t do a great job, and I’m not having that. It has to be done right, but I don’t have time to release it. Again, never say never. I did speak to Warner about a Deadline For My Memories reissue, but they just weren’t creative. They said they’d like to hear my ideas, and that was cool. But once I said we could do this or that, they said “No, we don’t do any of that. We don’t get involved in creative things, we just give it to company XYZ to chuck it out there.” They didn’t want to hear a single one of my ideas after all, so it was “Oh, okay. Bye!” There is no music industry now, not in the sense of the way it used to exist. What exists now are three multinational corporations who are administrative bodies for streaming royalties and have a licence to sell products that might as well be Heinz Ketchup. That’s not a music industry. That’s not to say there aren’t good people working there, because there are, but they have no say in how the business is run, or who gets to release music. What I tell people is that we are the music industry: the multitude of independent artists who sell vinyl records and who play gigs. We make things happen, we can release the music and that’s a music industry.

Is it any better with digital distribution?
    No. Electribal Soul is being handled by Believe Digital, who emailed all its artists a couple of weeks ago to say that, as of that day, they’re only pitching the top earners for playlist places on Spotify, Apple Music and the other streamers. All the streaming distributors have a limited amount of playlist places each month from the streamers. So of course they’re going to prioritise the artists who get millions of streams, who then get more streams from being on those playlists. It’s understandable that they don’t pitch Electribe 101. If Believe had pitched us and Apple or Spotify reject it, they’ve wasted their time, so I understand it. At the same time, it’s so sad they’ve decided not to give everyone a chance, especially when Believe state they help independent artists. On their website, it says: “We help independent artists navigate their way through the digital world.” No you don’t, you’ve screwed us all and then you refuse to talk to us.

Is that what is especially disappointing, that there’s no-one to talk to?
    Well, it’s just a big faceless factory. I don’t know who Believe’s owner replies to, but his artists aren’t important enough. That attitude comes from the top: “We only pitch big earners,” and that’s it: done, no arguing. But I feel it’s all changing. I’m going to change distributors, and I was arguing with a friend who’s also on Believe to make a stand. I said that, if you only write one email, or post one tweet or Facebook message expressing your views that you’re not happy with Believe’s decision, it’s enough, because you’ve made your voice heard. It’s important to say your piece about the conditions artists are being met with. It’s about making the point that artists matter.

lob0to, Eric Generic, ModeRed and 2 others like this.
  12. Always an added bonus that.

idratherjack likes this.
  13. I buy all my Cherry Red releases directly from them and it's rare that it doesn't arrive on release day. Amazon these days, even though I have Prime, rarely get anything to me on release day. It might be the area I live in. They are opening a new warehouse near me soon, so that might change.

biffy77 and Eric Generic like this.
  14. Amazon are likely (sometimes) to end up cheaper (don't waste time pre-ordering, the price drops come after a few days/weeks now), but if you want it on release day, then going direct is probably better.

biffy77 and ModeRed like this.
  15. Spent the weekend listening to Mary Wilson's 'Motown Anthology' and NOW's '12" 80s Remixed'...both excellent collections!

Eric Generic likes this.

16. Amazon do drop prices after release.

Cd prices go up and down like crazy on the site

biffy77 likes this.
  17. Yes, you really do have to order at the right place right time with them.

biffy77 likes this.
  18. Calling all Kylie experts… watched one of those BBC compilations and though I’m still not sold on the early career stuff, did find myself enjoying the ‘indie Kylie’ and after stuff and wondered whether it’s worth looking for the Special editions of ‘Kylie Minogue’ and ‘Impossible Princess’ albums or are the extras inessential/found elsewhere? Thanks knowledgeable ones!

posting here as it’s a reissue question, but if it’s more suited to the inevitably massive Kylie thread I can shift it…

19. "Hits+" is a pretty good collection of the indie years.

20. VARIOUS ARTISTS - GREATEST EVER 80S 12" MIXES - (4CD ALBUM) - PRE-ORDER 15 April

[​IMG]
    Tracklisting
    CD1
    1. New Order - Blue Monday
    2. Duran Duran - Girls On Film
    3. Kajagoogoo - Too Shy
    4. Talk Talk - It's My Life
    5. Howard Jones - What Is Love?
    6. Thomas Dolby - Hyperactive!
    7. Spandau Ballet - Gold
    8. Madness - Our House
    9. Nena - 99 Red Balloons
    10. Blow Monkeys - It Doesn't Have To Be This Way
    11. Nick Kamen - Each Time You Break My Heart
    12. Japan - Quiet Life
    13. A-ha- The Sun Always Shines On T.V.
    CD2
    1. Mel & Kim -Respectable
    2. Rick Astley -Never Gonna Give You Up
    3. Kylie Minogue - Never Too Late
    4. Nu Shooz - I Can't Wait
    5. Hazell Dean - Searchin' (I Gotta Find A Man)
    6. Rochelle - My Magic Man
    7. Stacey Q - Two Of Hearts
    8. Bucks Fizz - If You Can't Stand The Heat
    9. Thompson Twins - Love On Your Side
    10. Loleatta Holloway - Love Sensation
    11. Ten City - That's The Way Love Is
    12. Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Message
    CD3
    1. Tina Turner - What's Love Got To Do With It
    2. Alison Moyet - Invisible
    3. Simply Red - The Right Thing
    4. Howard Hewett - Stay
    5. Laura Branigan - Self Control
    6. Dollar - Hand Held In Black And White
    7. Re-Flex - The Politics Of Dancing
    8. Blue Zoo - Cry Boy Cry
    9. Belouis Some - Imagination
    10. Red Box - For America
    11. Hollywood Beyond - What's The Colour Of Money?
    12. Aztec Camera - Oblivious
    13. Echo & The Bunnymen - Never Stop
    CD4
    1. Chaka Khan - I Feel For You
    2. Sister Sledge - Lost In Music
    3. Shalamar -There It Is
    4. Amii Stewart - Knock On Wood
    5. Crown Heights Affair - You Gave Me Love
    6. First Choice - Let No Man Put Asunder
    7. Aurra - Such A Feeling
    8. Instant Funk- (Just Because) You'll Be Mine
    9. Leroy Burgess -Heartbreaker
    10. Princess - Say I'm Your Number One
    11. Midnight Star - Midas Touch
    12. Grandmaster Flash & Melle Mel - White Lines (Don't Do It)

Various Artists - Greatest Ever 80s 12" Mixes - (4CD Album) - pre-order [2022-04-15] (lexermusic.com)

biffy77 and imcal like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.