The Reissue Thread!

Is this era of Dionne any good? I bought the Arista collection and it is mostly solid.

This collection looks great. The first two albums, Dionne ('72) and Just Being Myself, were included on the final of the four-album sets Edsel put out a number of years ago that also included her Scepter albums, but the other three albums have been more elusive on CD.

As for the music, I can only speak to those first two albums but they're in the vein of her '60s material, so mostly sophisticated pop/R&B and easy listening with lush arrangements. Of the two, Just Being Myself is the more dynamic of the two in my opinion.

Here are a couple of songs from each album I'd highlight:

This collection looks great. The first two albums, Dionne ('72) and Just Being Myself, were included on the final of the four-album sets Edsel put out a number of years ago that also included her Scepter albums, but the other three albums have been more elusive on CD.

I may just pull the trigger then. Thanks for the highlights, they definitely give easy-listening.

Robert Palmer box set reviewed by Alexis Petridis on SDE. It's a good review but quite a few people are rightly commenting on the lack of detail re sound quality. It's important when reviewing reissues and box sets that the focus shouldn't just be on the album(s) - chances are the people buying it will already know it inside out - so instead we need to know about sound quality, booklet, packaging, bonus content etc.

Robert Palmer box set reviewed by Alexis Petridis on SDE. It's a good review but quite a few people are rightly commenting on the lack of detail re sound quality. It's important when reviewing reissues and box sets that the focus shouldn't just be on the album(s) - chances are the people buying it will already know it inside out - so instead we need to know about sound quality, booklet, packaging, bonus content etc.

I suspect (and this isn't a criticism of Alex Petridis or his review, it's how these things seem to work) that review was done without even playing the whole set. You could write something like that just by having a good knowledge of his catalogue (or streaming it beforehand). Still a very good piece, despite lacking the very info everyone is wanting about this particular set after the Edsel fiasco of 2013.

I suspect (and this isn't a criticism of Alex Petridis or his review, it's how these things seem to work) that review was done without even playing the whole set. You could write something like that just by having a good knowledge of his catalogue (or streaming it beforehand). Still a very good piece, despite lacking the very info everyone is wanting about this particular set after the Edsel fiasco of 2013.

There's an argument that reissues shouldn't be reviewed in advance of release...... It's fine for new albums but I'd prefer to read a reissue review a few weeks after the event. Alexis' review is very good and a cut above the likes of Classic Pop ones. But I do see where the people are coming from.

There's an argument that reissues shouldn't be reviewed in advance of release...... It's fine for new albums but I'd prefer to read a reissue review a few weeks after the event. Alexis' review is very good and a cut above the likes of Classic Pop ones. But I do see where the people are coming from.
The Hoffman mob flexing their muscles on SDE. Problem is he has turned the editorial and the music focus to enhance the sell through for his gain. He shouldn’t be surprised when the new wider audience (who are all about sound quality) bite at the lack of quality comment on a very hot topic. I nearly bit at a couple of the SDE acolyte comments who disregarded sound quality, I mean we all love music but it has to sound pleasurable!

The Hoffman mob flexing their muscles on SDE. Problem is he has turned the editorial and the music focus to enhance the sell through for his gain. He shouldn’t be surprised when the new wider audience (who are all about sound quality) bite at the lack of quality comment on a very hot topic. I nearly bit at a couple of the SDE acolyte comments who disregarded sound quality, I mean we all love music but it has to sound pleasurable!

Yes it's a bit of an oxymoron to focus on Blu-Ray audio and this Atmos stuff, but try and say sound quality isn't worth discussing/reviewing.

Has this been mentioned?
21st April

Philip Bailey "State Of The Heart: The Columbia Recordings 1983-1988" 3CD set

[CD1: Continuation (Expanded Edition)]
1. I Know
2. Trapped
3. It’s Our Time (Duet With Deniece Williams)
4. Desire
5. I’m Waiting For Your Love
6. Vaya (Go With Love)
7. The Good Guy’s Supposed To Get The Girls
8. Your Boyfriend’s Back
Bonus Track:
9. I Know (Extended Dance Version)

[CD2: Chinese Wall (Expanded Edition)]
1. Photogenic Memory
2. I Go Crazy
3. Walking On The Chinese Wall
4. For Every Heart That’s Been Broken
5. Go
6. Easy Lover – Philip Bailey & Phil Collins
7. Show You The Way To Love
8. Time Is A Woman
9. Woman
10. Children Of The Ghetto
Bonus Tracks:
11. Easy Lover (Extended Dance Remix) – Philip Bailey & Phil Collins
12. Walking On The Chinese Wall (Single Version)
13. Easy Lover (Single Version) – Philip Bailey & Phil Collins
14. Love Is Alive (From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack “The Goonies”)

[CD3: Inside Out (Expanded Edition)]
1. Welcome To The Club
2. State Of The Heart
3. Long Distance Love
4. Echo My Heart
5. Don’t Leave Me Baby
6. Special Effect
7. Because Of You
8. Back It Up
9. Take This With You
10. The Day Will Come
Bonus Tracks:
11. State Of The Heart (Dub Mix)
12. Twins (From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack “Twins”) – Philip Bailey/Little Richard
13. Twins (Club Mix) – Philip Bailey/Little Richard

Paul Sinclair (he of SDE) seems very touchy and overreacts to any slightly critical comment.