The Reissue Thread!

I'm waiting for a price-drop lower than the £124 that has so far been the lowest it's dropped to (currently £132).

I did pre-order the Blu-Ray audio but once I received a busted-up cardboard sleeve, I decided I was better off saving my money. High quality audio should have proper packaging.

Yeah, I saw the Blu-Ray audio in a shop and the packaging was so flimsy. I bought the Blu-Ray of Depeche Mode's 101 and my God, that packaging was so cheap. Speaking of which I really want to get the Depeche Mode Strange/Strange Too Blu Ray.

I think the Franki Valli set will come down in price. After six years, I was lucky to get the Johnny Mathis Columbia set under $250 Canadian. It seems to be on the verge of going out of print.

Best design of the year has to go to the Kirsty set, See That Girl. Beyond gorgeous.

(Although I haven't seen the Diamonds & Pearls in the flesh yet, so that may run it close by what I've seen online).

Just a pity about the shambolic QC for the music.

Yeah, I saw the Blu-Ray audio in a shop and the packaging was so flimsy. I bought the Blu-Ray of Depeche Mode's 101 and my God, that packaging was so cheap. Speaking of which I really want to get the Depeche Mode Strange/Strange Too Blu Ray.

I think the Franki Valli set will come down in price. After six years, I was lucky to get the Johnny Mathis Columbia set under $250 Canadian. It seems to be on the verge of going out of print.
The 101 packaging is baffling! I got it when it came out, but still haven't watched it - I think subconsciously I have a vendetta against it now. (I'm sure it's an amazing film. I should pull it out soon).

The 101 packaging is baffling! I got it when it came out, but still haven't watched it - I think subconsciously I have a vendetta against it now. (I'm sure it's an amazing film. I should pull it out soon).
Haha that's so funny you say that because I have the same feeling. I mean, I'm actually worried about taking it out of the packaging because I am sure it will be trial and error and the disc will come out scratched. I feel like what is the point? I mean, they couldn't even just give it a cheap blue case like standard Blu-Rays?

Rubellan. But they're US based and about to wind down any new CD titles due to industry shenanigans.

Oh, that's disappointing to hear. I meant to get their Oingo Boingo reissues but they seemed to sell out quickly.

What other main labels are there for obscure and unique reissued CDs other than Cherry Red/Pop and Edsel?
There is Omnivore (they released and then withdrew the Bobby Brown Don't Be Cruel reissue. Also Real Gone Music. They produce some terrific reissues like the recent 2-disc Sylvester compilation, the Liza Minnelli Live in New York 1979, the Dionne Warwick,Scepter Singles. They seemed to be focusing more on vinyl but they haven't neglected the CD format.

408227619_7375534315824210_7253765764814570614_n.jpg

Out 26th January it's Now 12" 1982

Looks like they grabbed a bunch of existing comps and cribbed this together. Nothing exciting here. What about Tight Fit Lion Sleeps Tonight? A million selling 1982 single and the 12” has never been on CD.

Looks like they grabbed a bunch of existing comps and cribbed this together. Nothing exciting here. What about Tight Fit Lion Sleeps Tonight? A million selling 1982 single and the 12” has never been on CD.
Also Tight Fit Fantasy Island 12" mix which has never been on cd.
Also Toni Basil Mickey 12" which has only been on 2 rare and expensive cds.

Not sure if this has been mentioned - Jerry Burns phenomenal 1992 LP is being reissued next month:

- Deluxe Expanded CD
- Double red vinyl
- Double white vinyl
- Double / split red & white vinyl with signed print
- Test pressing double vinyl.

The blurb:

Originally released in 1992 Jerry Burns only LP is a study in understated beauty.

An album of compelling melancholia and beautifully crafted songs, often mentioned in the same breath as The Blue Nile, Craig Armstrong & Bjork.

Originally under the wing of the visionary CEO of Sony Music Entertainment Rob Stringer who understood the beauty and ambiguity of the album championing Pale Red as a bold first single he paired Jerry and her co - writer Producer Bobby Henry with the pop impresario Stephen Hague who preserved the gentle pop pulsing through the albums heart while the move to Bearsville - New York to work with the Godfather of mastering Bob Clearmountain brought the warmth and intimacy that still radiates from Jerrys voice.

Lauded by critics at the time mainstream chart success proved elusive.

"It was music made swimming against the tide" (Billy Sloan)

Bonus tracks:
I Cover The Waterfront
Restless Heart
Perfect Moments
Just Shine
Glittering Light

Just some of the reasons this chronically underrated LP is still essential listening to this day...

Pale Red

Casually Unkind

Just Shine

Not sure if this has been mentioned - Jerry Burns phenomenal 1992 LP is being reissued next month:

- Deluxe Expanded CD
- Double red vinyl
- Double white vinyl
- Double / split red & white vinyl with signed print
- Test pressing double vinyl.

The blurb:

Originally released in 1992 Jerry Burns only LP is a study in understated beauty.

An album of compelling melancholia and beautifully crafted songs, often mentioned in the same breath as The Blue Nile, Craig Armstrong & Bjork.

Originally under the wing of the visionary CEO of Sony Music Entertainment Rob Stringer who understood the beauty and ambiguity of the album championing Pale Red as a bold first single he paired Jerry and her co - writer Producer Bobby Henry with the pop impresario Stephen Hague who preserved the gentle pop pulsing through the albums heart while the move to Bearsville - New York to work with the Godfather of mastering Bob Clearmountain brought the warmth and intimacy that still radiates from Jerrys voice.

Lauded by critics at the time mainstream chart success proved elusive.

"It was music made swimming against the tide" (Billy Sloan)

Bonus tracks:
I Cover The Waterfront
Restless Heart
Perfect Moments
Just Shine
Glittering Light

Just some of the reasons this chronically underrated LP is still essential listening to this day...

Pale Red

Casually Unkind

Just Shine

Amazing album, stunning voice. I knew there was an LP reissue on the way, but not the 2CD so I will have to get that. Have both Pale Blue single and the 2-disc set for Completely My Dear.

Amazing album, stunning voice. I knew there was an LP reissue on the way, but not the 2CD so I will have to get that. Have both Pale Blue single and the 2-disc set for Completely My Dear.

Yes, it should have been huge back in the day, such a beautiful LP. I'm not sure that there is a 2CD is there? The blurb just says 'deluxe expanded CD', and from what I can see was available during that era, might it all fit on one disc? Unless there's some hidden treasures that'll be included, here's what I'm thinking it could include...

album
01 pale red
02 casually unkind
03 hardly me
04 fall for lovers
05 sometimes i’m wild
06 crossing over
07 simple heart
08 completely my dear
09 safe in the rain
10 stepping out slowly

bonus tracks
11 crossing over (edited) (b-side)
12 completely my dear (single mix)
13 casually unkind (single mix/edit)
14 perfect moments (b-side)
15 just shine (b-side)
16 i cover the waterfront (b-side)
17 restless heart (b-side)

18 crazy & calm (live) (b-side)
19 hardly me (live) (b-side)
20 pale red (live) (b-side)
21 glittering light

Given more people have seen a Yeti that the Casually Unkind CD single, it would be nice to finally hear whether it was a single mix or just an edit of the album version, and for the same reasons, I've never heard, so am especially looking forward to hearing the two Casually Unkind b-sides.

Edit: on re-reading the blurb, I'm guessing we're getting only the tracks in bold as bonus tracks, in which case it would definitely be a 15-track single disc affair, but will be very happy to be proved wrong.

Last edited: