The Reissue Thread! | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

The Reissue Thread!

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Eric Generic, Oct 19, 2009.

1. vasilios

vasilios Guest

Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I have a Cherry Red contact, so I can pass on all the errors, are they those two for Fearless?

2. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Here, here. it's disgusting. Why don't they just get a Popjustice forum account and ask for voluneters to give it a once over in exchange for a free CD or something? I could over-see most of their re-issues quite easily... they really seem intent on chucking anything out. It's very damaging to sales, I'm certainly not buying this Eighth Wonder release now and will only buy other titles once I hear they are mistake-free.

3. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

That's the thing, isn't it...it damages the brand, to use modern parlance. Consumer confidence and all that. I'm the same; I won't buy any of these reissues until I hear they've been done well - from somebody independent who's bought them.

The irony is, of course, that the target audience - people who love their (now) rare and unfashionable 80s stuff and want it on CD - are the ones who will (a) most likely spot the lazy mistakes and (b) find them unacceptable, rather than just brushing them off as younger listeners reared on shabby mp3s might do.

EG.

4. vasilios

vasilios Guest

Cherry Red people were very picky with tiny dots and bits in the Sinitta text so if they knew, they'd change things, but I suspect they didn't even realise eg Baby Baby mix was wrong.

5. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Why are they handling unfamiliar material then? There is ALWAYS a fan willing to say, "Yes, that's the correct mix - go ahead and press the CDs". If they don't notice, why are they bothering?

6. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Well, I've emailed them twice now. No response yet. Anyone else want to join in?

[email protected]

7. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I seem to think there was a Kim Wilde fan doing the proofreading and approving her reisssues from Cherry Pop last year.

Maybe it's harder to find an Eighth Wonder fan!

8. jsd

jsd

I hate to keep throwing this excuse out but it's possible the original masters for these mixes are missing/damaged and they have to work around it. This sort of thing even affects more recent acts like Garbage. There's a fascinating thread here with comments from Butch Vig & Billy Bush about missing tapes, tapes thrown out when the label folded, etc:
    http://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-butch-vig/400428-absolutegarbage-remasters.html

9. vasilios

vasilios Guest

That's another thing! Having Baby Baby once and then Baby Baby the same mix, and labelling it 12" Mix is just a lazy mistake.

10. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

[/quote]
    I hate to keep throwing this excuse out but it's possible the original masters for these mixes are missing/damaged and they have to work around it. This sort of thing even affects more recent acts like Garbage. There's a fascinating thread here with comments from Butch Vig & Billy Bush about missing tapes, tapes thrown out when the label folded, etc:
    http://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-butch-vig/400428-absolutegarbage-remasters.html
    [/quote]

I never knew this. The first two Garbage albums are classics and I was wondering why the first one in particular hasn't been given the deluxe treatment. Now I know why. It's unbelieveable that no one can find a single master copy of that album, for all it sold. I would have thought the band would have kept their own DATs though?

11. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

But if there have lost the master tapes, just use the original CD singles, which would be the next best thing... I have them sat right here.

12. vasilios

vasilios Guest

They don't!

13. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

There is a section of their website where they ask for help with things - ie. "Does anyone have such-and-such on CD?". No one asked for help with Eighth Wonder.

14. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Those mistakes with Fearless are very sloppy. What is the sound quality like? I want to pick up a copy, but only if it's remastered.

15. jsd

jsd

The CD singles have already been mastered. You need to go back to the original tapes to do a proper remaster. Now, that said, I have no idea how bad some of these things sound, so it might well have been possible to improve them by using commercial CDs.

Anyway, all I'm saying is it's not always as cut & dried as you might think as a fan.

16. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

No, Cherry Red very rarely 'remaster from the original master tapes'. Too costly. They often just get the original CD pressings and crank the volume up so it's louder. Common knowlege. They've many times asked if anyone has a copy of an old CD album as the masters are too lost/damaged/expensive. If you are faced with a crackly 12" or a CD single, clearly, you'd use a CD source to master from. They have made this mistake before.

17. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

What!! Is that true about Cherry Red? So my allegedly remastered 2009 edition of Mandy Smith hasn't been properly remastered? I will be thoroughly enraged if, like you say, it's only been a matter of them cranking up the volume. And I was planning on getting the two Bonnie Tyler remasters, now you've made me doubtful!

18. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

The PWL releases are completely remastered. Not everything follows this rule... in fact, one of Cherry Red's problems is the lack of consistancy from one release to the next. I can guarentee all the PWL-related re-issues are easily the best they have every released and sound great. The worst is probably the Belouis Some album.

19. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Thanks for reassuring me, I was seriously contemplating accusing them of false advertising if that were the case! So we don't know if the Bonnie Tyler CDs they've "rejigged" are proper remasters for sure then? Perhaps it's a "try after you buy" situation...

20. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Which Bonnie Tyler albums are these?

EG.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.