The Reissue Thread! | Page 61 | The Popjustice Forum

The Reissue Thread!

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Eric Generic, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Underwhelming, and muddled, to say the least. I've already got a double CDs worth of demo/unreleased tracks from this period, so quite why they've decided to not put anything like that on there I don't understand.

Fingers crossed for a super-deluxe version. If any album from the 80s deserves the full-on treatment, it's this one.

2. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

The twinning of Dare with Love & Dancing, remastered, was exactly right. There wasn't any need for this, really - but I suppose these "anniversaries" demand something different every time, even if it's detrimental. A standalone Fascination release would have been nice at some point, though.

3. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Susanna Hoffs' first solo album 'When You're A Boy' has been remastered and reissued. I remember being disappointed by it when I was a kid.

4. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Martin Rushent wanted to do it before he died. His son has said that this is how he wanted it to be, so they've used his tracklist...

5. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

It's a bit of a let down after The Bangles, but I quite like it. My Side of the Bed is a great pop single, and I like her cover of Unconditional Love better than Cyndi's original (the David Bowie cover not so much). I only own it on cassette, so I might have to get this.

6. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I loved this when it came out. Source? Do you know the tracklisting? Thanks.

7. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-YouRe-...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1327768815&sr=1-1

8. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Oh well, I see. Still think the prevous Dare/Love & Dancing 2CD in the hardcover was a more fitting celebration of the era, though.

Susanna Hoffs' album is a good one! Very underrated, I bought it at the time on the strength of hearing 3 songs on Radio 1's Singled Out, then stupidly let it go, found it again on vinyl a few years back and then got it again on CD last summer.

9. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Thanks. Oh not even one bonus track?. They could have at least thrown the B-side from 'My Side of the Bed' on there.

10. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I must also point out how gorgeous the sleeve for When You're A Boy is.

Wishing On Telstar has always been my favourite track - should have been a single!

11. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

'Wishing on Telstar' and 'Only Love' are my faves from the album and her version of 'Unconditional Love' is superior to Cyndi's. It is a shame that her 2nd solo album on Columbia never materialised. Her 1996 London album although not bad was too folksy and arty for me.

12. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I am a huge fan of Susanna Hoffs debut offering. I would go so far as to say it's better over all than any Bangles album is. The singles were very poorly chosen, it's true. I'd have gone for Wishing On Telstar, So Much For Love and Only Love. I think they were expecting another Eternal Flame mega-ballad-smash or something.

I got the Roachford reissues today. Brilliantly done, has to be said. Biog, lyrics, all the artwork from each era, everything I expect from a reissue. Just playing the 12" mixes.

13. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I picked up a cheap promo copy of her 2nd album, but haven't played it yet. It's from 1997, so I'm braced for a degree of post-Alanis grunge nonsense being added into the formula.

Good news about the Roachfords...I may well bite at some point with those.

14. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Yes there are a couple of Alanis-inspired tracks and also some folk type songs. It's not too bad just not poppy enough for me. I bought the 1996 USA verion on import it still has the price sticker in it from HMV. £19.49, I don't think it was worth the price for 11 tracks (& 2 hidden tracks including a cover of 'To Sir With Love' but I bought it without hearing it as I loved her 1st album.

15. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

1996, not 1997? Whoops. Same period of time, style-wise though. Not my favourite era for how records sounded.

16. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I bought "All I Want" by Suzanna Hoffs at the time. It was quite a random purchase but great song. Not sure it even charted or how I got to hear it.,,

17. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

So as an update to my Bananarama CD remaster saga, I have now had issues ripping Madonna remasters of "True Blue" and "Like A Virgin" (although strangely not the remaster of "Madonna"). Even the additional copies I bought from Amazon recently have the same problem.

After some research it seems there is a bit of an issue with some kind of (illegal?) psuedo-copy protection on a lot of Warner remastered CDs from the mid 2000s which bollock up the sound when ripping to a variety of laptops.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-on-dell/59931b6e-7e7d-4d88-a438-6afb1a8e3470

It leaves me unable to rip all of my Bananarama remasters and a few Madonna remasters to my current laptop. Fortunately, I don't think I had this issue with my old laptop so will have to dust it off for these few CDs.

18. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Interesting!

I couldn't get on with any Windows 7 laptops at all (not because I'm stupid or anything, technical stuff relating to the optical drive), so am using an older version again. Looks like a blessing in disguise!

19. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

What is it with Warner anyway?

Blocking loads of youtube content.....selling dodgy CDs.....bit of a pattern.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.