The Reissue Thread! | Page 62 | The Popjustice Forum

The Reissue Thread!

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Eric Generic, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

And they don't even put the frosted "w" logo on the CD cases anymore! Ha.

2. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Ha!

Would you be so easily won over?

I noticed a few of mine had logos the other day and thought of you!

3. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Oh I would. I'm a logo whore. I got a Rhino reissue at the weekend through the mail, and it didn't have one! I was gutted.

4. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Two upcoming, pretty rare 80s reissues:

Til Tuesday - Voices Carry (debut from 1985)
    JoBoxers - Gangbusters (debut from 1983)

I'm not sure if the latter is a first ever time on CD, as there have been several compilations. The 'Til Tuesday album is not quite in the same league as their other two, but it's not far off.

5. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I have no problems with any of the CDs you mentioned - and also not Windows 7!

Nothing on the JoBoxer's reissue hasn't been released on CD before (there was a very good 2CD anthology in the 90s). I rea don another forum that the Til' Tuesday one was missing a B-side or something, but I'm not quite up to speed with their entire output, I just have the two albums on CD from the 80s.

6. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I don't think bands like 'Til Tuesday went in for many B-sides anyway - you'd get album tracks or maybe Live recordings of those album tracks.

I'd rank their albums as follows: Welcome Home, Everything's Different Now and then Voices Carry. There's hardly anything to choose between the first two; sublime US adult pop/rock. Voices Carry has some ace singles, and I might have got this reissue if I hadn't just found an original import CD a few months back.

7. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Welcome Home is a classic album. I just remember thinking Coming Up Close was going to be a big hit for them. I wish that album was getting the deluxe treatment.

8. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Do you think with Kylie's 25th Anniversary, we will get the PWL albums remastered with Bonus tracks/remixes etc? Would love to have these

9. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

We wish.

If there's rights issues with the PWL stuff then I wish Parlophone would re-issue her albums with them with bonus "Further Listening" discs and a b-sides collection like they do with the Pet Shop Boys.

10. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I've got to have this on my iPod. Playgroup aka Trevor knows his stuff.

11. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Not sure how up for back cat activity EMI would be at the mo given the whole Universal thing. I know they're behind the 25 idea but if they do reissue stuff it may end up going out of print anyway.

12. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Totally agree. Been working with Cherry Pop for 2 years now and we have applied for so many great albums to be reissued only for Record Companies to say 'No', not get back to us at all or generally turn us down despite having no plans for a reissue themselves. Fuzzbox, Cathy Dennis, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, Five Star, Alison Moyet, Gloria Estefan, Bros . . . . . .

13. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I would love these!

I really have never understood the thinking behind some decisions. Back in the 80s/90s my big bugbear was the lack of VHS video promo releases and it has continued into DVDs and to a lesser extent digitally.

Particularly in the digital age where people can instantly access promo videos, songs, remixes, bootlegs etc online, I can't understand why it need be so difficult to upload HIGH QUALITY videos and music to official channels like iTunes etc. Even some of the ones that are officially uploaded are insultingly low quality.

Yes I get it's all about licences and copyright and people agreeing terms etc but every week/month/year/decade that goes by, revenue is lost to those who are illegally making these things available because there is no alternative, no official release.

For the last 20 years, for example, there has been no legal way to obtain any Cathy Dennis video since "Move To This" so if someone were to sell a bootleg DVD on ebay you can imagine it would be tempting and quite frankly it is not harming the record company or artist if they have no bloody inclination to release them anyway!

14. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

EMI are reissuing the first four Talk Talk albums on April 2nd on CD and vinyl, however I'm not entirely sure if these will be new remasters or not. No bonus material whatsoever judging from the HMV listings.

15. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Hmm, how odd...and pointless! The previous reissue series was excellent (aside from bonus tracks..or lack of) - original artwork restored, the spines lined up to spell the band name. So why go through it all again? I do wonder what the record labels are doing with their time and money with things like this.

As for the Cherry Pop rejects, didn't Sony do their own Bros reissues for the Push and Time albums? Or was it just Time in the end?

16. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

It comes down to effort vs reward. Transferring videos to digital from 1" tape, or even baking and transferring audio recordings from 1/4", 1/2", umatic, Beta F1s etc costs money and most labels, by the time they have paid these costs, mastering, graphic design and the wages associated with checking contracts and licensing, find there's not much potential profit left on catalogue re-issues. Speaking from experience, the big labels generally don't feel there is money to be made in "pop" re-issues, or at least they didn't until Cherry Red and Edsel proved otherwise. I think there is evidence they may be starting to look past the obvious recycling of just the hits now, and this is why so many license requests get kicked back, wheras two years ago they may have gone through.

17. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Basically, why give money to other labels when you could knock it out yourself and make more money overall, instead of just on the license fees. Can't blame them. It's just a business decision.

18. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I've bought lots of reissues this year already but a few I haven't seen much chat about yet;

Simple Minds - x5; This arrived at the weekend. £12.99 for all these albums is such a good bargain. The card sleeves are excellent (not crazy on the artwork on the front of the clamshell box) and replicate everything rather well. No booklet or anything, but the sound is great. This is such a nifty buy, especially if it's a starter pack you're after. The bonus tracks are pretty good, speaking as someone who wishes he had the CD single box sets, too...

The Stiff Records/ZTT Box Set(s); These are both from a few years back now, but I didn't invest as they were about £25 each, which seemed expensive, but I saw them for £11.99 a piece recently and snatched them both up. Both excellent, identical packaging-wise and packed with great tracks and a thick book of photos, biogs and stuff. The ZTT DVD was all a bit random (no Seal?!) but still, a worthy addition to my collection. A Stiff DVD would have been nice...

ZTT: The Art Of The 12" Volume 2; Out today! Another nice fat digipak from Salvo, slightly lacking in the photograph department (there aren't any of the acts/artwork featured, only extreme close-ups of wires and studio kit) and a bizarre tracklist, but I hope the extensive liner notes explain that... I am slightly tired of these 'found' unreleased mixes, mind. How many more can there be?! I can't believe Act for example had a 3 CD deluxe edition of their sole album a few years ago, plus continue to have yet more outtakes and unreleased tracks resurfacing on compilations like this. Isn't less supposed to be more? I expect a 3rd volume, but that's probably as far as they could/should stretch it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.