The Reissue Thread! | Page 63 | The Popjustice Forum

The Reissue Thread!

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Eric Generic, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Wait...there are BONUS TRACKS on the Simple Minds set?!

That ZTT box is lovely, I got mine in Zavvi on release, a good mix of the known and the lesser-known. The DVD is indeed a bit sketchy, but still full of good things.

I'll probably pick up the Art of the 12" Vol.2, for completism's sake, but I agree it's beginning to feel like the bottom of the barrel is being scraped.

2. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I'm looking forward to Thomas Leers 'Heartbeat' 12" on the Art Of the 12" - such a great song from a great album, one of my Top 10 80s synth-pop albums. I have the very badly worn and scratched vinyl 12" so this can only be better.

3. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I've not received my copy of Art Of The 12" 2, so I can't comment on it too much yet, although I am looking forward to hearing Swamp Out by Instinct as I liked the original which I have on vinyl on the ZTT sampler from 1985.

As for Act, there is a mix of Chance out there that hasn't been released which samples Abba, but sadly I don't expect that to ever be avaiable.......

4. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I listened to the new ZTT 2CD last night, very loud. It's pretty amazing. Much better than the first one, for some reason. I was really surprised how amazing the 808 State remixes of Art Of Noise tracks were. Some of it is indulgent, but it works well across the whole set.

The Act mix that samples ABBA wont ever come out, I fear. There's not even a crumby vinyl rip from the pressed records that were apparently hastily destroyed or a tiny clip. It's the thing of legend. There's a few mythical items apparently in their vaults which they should really attempt to get out there... Frankie's demo of Slave To The Rhythm, etc.

5. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

As above, the 2nd ZTT 12" comp is better than first ... especially the Godley & Creme track ... I started off wanting to skip it and by the end I replayed it immediately ...

The Dr Mabuse mix on cd1 is awful tho ... No getting round that (handy if you fancy sampling it though) ...

6. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Here's an overlooked 80s gem that never seems to crop up on CD (I just looked on amazon and used copies go for 50 quid plus!)...

Kool & The Gang - In The Heart.

Surely their biggest album, UK-wise at least? Straight Ahead, Joanna and the title song all went top 15. And yet this album (even on vinyl) is so hard to come by. Very odd!

I wish someone would re-issue it.

7. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I'm far too excited that my Nik Kershaw 'Human Racing' remaster should be dropping through the letterbox tomorrow. I haven't previously owned it on CD, and haven't listened to it for years either.

8. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Ha! It's a great little album. The production on his other 80s albums is better, but the debut had his best-known songs, overall. I like it a lot, especially Dancing Girls (which he probbaly hates because it was all synths!). The extra tracks, sound quality perimitting, will be brilliant to have on CD.

9. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Soho's album is being re-released by Cherry Red. I remember Hippychick but have never heard any of their other tracks.

10. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Pointless re-issue as far as I can tell... it's not even their best album, it just has one hit on it (Hippychick). I recommend their debut album, Noise, which is so much better. This is Piece Of You from it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueMX_o-9yUU

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=143613

11. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

It's quite a good album, I bought it for about $2 in the US last year. Unless there's a massive amount of remixes or interesting stuff, I'm out.

The Nik Kershaw CD is excellent by the way. Remastering quality very high.

12. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

^ Well that's definitely sold it for me.

The "Music Club Deluxe" people that put out budget 2CD collections have a Maxi Priest one on the way in April; hopefully it'll have all the stuff missing on either of his existing Best Ofs!

13. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Always thought it was a bit odd myself. Dr Mabuse is such a great song, it would have been great to have had a more listenable mix. However, I'm glad to have it on CD after buying it on vinyl 28 years ago. (God, I'm old.....)

14. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

That really confused me - I clicked the link and thought it was a Big Fun compilation (i.e. the crap SAW manband) and then realised it was Inner City.

15. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

has this been mentioned yet?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Studio-Albums-1983-2008/dp/B0073ODRKG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_h__2

which is a whole lotta amazingness at a good price for anyone who doesn't have them. There's also vinyl reissues of 'Madonna', 'Like A Virgin', 'True Blue', 'Like A Prayer', 'Erotica', and 'Bedtime Stories' next month.

got me worrying that we may never see Madonna's back catalogue get the full deluxe remaster treatment it deserves before the CD becomes extinct (same worry i have with Prince, Alison Moyet and Dead Or Alive). So many 10 a penny, one hit wonders get a re-release, and labels / artists hold out on absolute classics. Meantime, I've bought all them listed above, cash cows that they are!

16. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

!!!

Christ on a bike, they're selling an 11-album Madonna set at barely 2 quid per disc?

Blimey.

17. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

It's a messy set, offering the first three albums remastered, and the rest not remastered. I also feel it should include I'm Breathless, which is a Madonna album, not just a soundtrack. In fact, as a body of work, it misses out a few of her defining singles - Into the Groove, Vogue, etc. I'll buy it, it's so cheap, and I'm guessing like P!nk and more recently, Simple Minds, it'll mean all the albums chart again? Now, if they'd only stick The Virgin Tour Live out on DVD...

18. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I've just found these Grace Jones remastered on a site called Gold Legion...

http://www.shop.goldlegion.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=grace+jones

Does anyone know if this site/company are any good at remasters? I am already concerned by the numerous typing errors in the Fame tracklisting!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.