The Reissue Thread! | Page 64 | The Popjustice Forum

The Reissue Thread!

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Eric Generic, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Gold Legion is like, two guys in the USA, releasing their own personal wishlist of albums. They are small but perfectly formed. The website is pretty lame, but I've bought their reissues of Jellybean's 'Wotuspki??!!', Debbie Harry's 'KooKoo' and both Grace remasters. They are all superb. The Grace ones in particular have very thick booklets, faithful reproductions of all artwork, picture labels, extensive liner notes and are fully endorsed and licenced by EMI. The sound quality is great and the only negative about them is the delivery times. It'll take 4-6 weeks for your order to arrive, but it's because they ship at the cheapest rate (surface mail). It cost me only £15 for the two Grace CDs, including shipping, which is pretty cheap, right?

2. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Looks like there's a 10% off code too, which expires today.

3. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

My thoughts - The artwork suffers from that common over-saturation problem, it's too dark. The booklet is alright - single sleeves, lyrics, input from the artist (nice to hear he doesn't mind the 80s nostalgia which an act like him just cannot avoid). There's a lot of waste on the two CDs, however. Considering there's period material absent and there's 40 mins spare on CD1 and 20 mins spare on CD2, I wonder why they held back? One of the more interesting omissions is this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpHQEXj3Lfo

'Wouldn't It Be Good [Simon Boswell Remix]', which was on the 12" B-side of 'Human Racing'. It's a slightly bonkers mix, it even splices in The Twilight Zone theme at one point (3:20)! It made it's CD debut a few years back on one of the Retro:Active CD volumes from the USA. I'm sure a Nik-nut could tell us what else is missing, I think there's a few more bits and bobs? But sound-wise, good remastering, 6.5/10 overall. Hoping for 'The Riddle' to come next...

EDIT: Additonal remixes of 'Dancing Girls', 'I Wont Let The Sun Go Down' and 'Drum Talk' aren't included, so a total of 4 other tracks which probably should be added here. Bummer.

4. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

So there's a whole 60 minutes - ONE HOUR - of blank/unused space across the whole set? Yikes. Must be licensing/mastering costs, I suppose. The budget obviously didn't stretch as far as hoped.

I dunno, maybe I'll hold onto my original CD, and get this reissue anyway. Although I'd have liked every remix from the era, really.

5. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I got the Nik Kershaw album today, haven't heard it in YEARS. I actually thought it was going to be a Cherry Pop re-issue - surprised to see Universal did it themselves. I hope it's a sign that they'll do more!

That Madonna 11 disc set has been limited to 8,000 copies, according to the What Records mailout.

6. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I would be surprised if it managed to sell 8,000 copies.

It's just a repackaging of the albums. No bonus material. Not even an attractive repackaging at that.

7. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I'm assuming the Madonna 11 disc set will be mini cardboard sleeves, as 11 jewel cases would be ridiculous. I think it'll be a cute novelty. And the day global megastar Madonna can't sell 8,000 copies of her 80s-90s back catalogue in a box set is a sad day indeed.

8. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I'm guessing they'll be in those nasty miniature card sleeves, with poor reproductions of the original artwork.

9. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Or same as Simple Minds' x5 set?

10. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I've not seen that....is it stylish?

11. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Yes, neat and tidy, really like it.

12. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Played the Human Racing remaster last night (disc one, at least).

Wow.

Sounds superb (not that the original was especially bad). I never quite gave this album the credit it deserved at the time; it suffered from my obsession with Howard Jones and Human's Lib! Nik won the war, if you like, because The Riddle was brilliant while HoJo's 2nd album wasn't. Really, though, they're nothing like each other - it was the haircuts, the one-man-synth-act, and the albums with Human in the title. Nik, if anything, was the dark side to Howard's spiritual positivity - Human Racing is full of cynical, sharply observed songs with a resigned air to them thanks to his vocals.

It's a much better album than I realised. Cloak & Dagger is the key song for me, and it has the sophisticated style he built on for the 2nd album. But there isn't a duff song, not even the almost-silly Gone To Pieces (how can anyone not love that chorus), or his accent on the Shame On You hookline (again, genius noises in the verse make up for everything).

The sleevenotes are better than usual, and the photos of the original master tapes throw up a couple of interesting "what ifs"; Wide Boy was clearly from the debut album era (and slated for the record), while She Cries looks like it was going to kick off Side 1 before getting dropped to B-side status.

13. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I never bought any Christians singles, so CD2 looks great to me. Although I wonder how pissed Henry Priestman will be about the text on the front sleeve and that it's still got 12 songs on the main album, because it used to annoy him that the original CD included the bonus tracks!

14. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Ha, play.com have the Colour re-issue listed as the "Duluxe" edition.

15. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

Re :- Nik Kershaw - there's a pretty interesting interview around the reissue on this website :

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/

16. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

That was a great read...thanks for posting it, Lazarus! I like how he's self-effacing enough to see the craziness of the 80s heyday, yet he still remembers exactly where his first single got to in the top 75.

He certainly has no need to beat himself up over Radio Musicola...it was his best album for me.

17. Re: The 80s CD reissue thread! (incl. Cherry Pop, Lemon, Edsel etc)

I love this album so much but I'm not sure if I really need a deluxe version until I have heard the extra tracks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.