The Reissue Thread! | Page 935 | The Popjustice Forum

The Reissue Thread!

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Eric Generic, Oct 19, 2009.

1. The Ride price points are £10 and £4

I bought the Ride EP in 1990 on both 12" and CD.
    IR£5 and £6 respectively.

Humanracin likes this.
  2. Now available on Amazon as an import, or through Varese or Screen Archives directly.

Jeffo and Anjoel40 like this.
  3. I got the bootleg but will get this. I remember the film and soundtrack not being well received at the time of the films release, with Faltermeyer's music being cited as being overused and too heavy for such a light weight film. I love both and it needs a proper Blu Ray release too.

4. It's on iTunes in HD; though I'd buy a Blu-ray for the the European cut ("with extra Bauer"), which I have stored-away on laserdisc. I just hope it hasn't rotted, as I have yet to digitize it. Was surprised the Varese CD didn't have more of Faltermeyer's score, actually.

5. I don't have apple TV or use ITunes but it's on Amazon Prime to buy for £7.99 but I would prefer a Blu Ray.

6. Yeah, with Varese sometimes they will get additional cues and pieces for special editions. But this isn't being treated as a special edition, sadly. At least we are getting some extra tracks - and at least the CD is finally available in North America!

I love the film. Steven Bauer was so sexy.

7. So true, I remember seeing him in 'Scarface' and having a real crush on him. 'Thief Of Hearts' suffered from being too adult and too lightweight/romantic to appeal to the masses& younger teens.

torontodj likes this.
  8. Interesting that both Scarface and Thief of Hearts have been my Holy Grails when it comes to soundtracks (throw in an expanded The Thing by Ennio Morricone). I just love that Moroder/Faltermeyer sound. I really hope Scarface is reissued and expanded one day (there's been talk that a Top Gun score CD is in the works).

I think Thief of Hearts is a film that would never be made today. A sexy film made for adults. Rated R. Nudity. Nope. Plus, the storyline might raise a few eyebrows today. Personally, I love the premise, and I thought both Bauer and Barbara Williams were terrific in the film.

nlgbbbblth likes this.
  9. Stripping the facts right back to the rudiments - CDs are the most convenient solid form of obtaining whole collections of maximal top quality lossless music files (by default), with tangible packaging.

I need & want that tangible experience & I want the security of knowing I can return to source for WAV files at any given moment in time for whatever reason.

They are essential & are simply just ‘there’ when I need them. By security I mean I can glance across the room & know I have 1411 Kbps, 16 Bit, 44 100hz files that are separate entities from hard drives that are prone to malfunction (at any given moment in Time).

Have a love affair with vinyl (by all
    means), the foundation of this genre that we all love, known as ‘Pop’ is built upon vinyl, vinyl that transformed people’s lives before the digital era even dawned, look at it playing & know that’s where Pop music begun, always give a nod & a wink to that & never fail to respect that your origins are in those grooves too!

However, there is no convenient tangible medium that is as efficient as CD. (What is even the point of 24 bit, when no CD player on earth can read higher than 16 bit).

I feel sorry for those satiated by iTunes 256 Kbps/ Amazon 320 Kbps quality tracks at 99p a Pop.

As soon as you start to analyse music formats in relation to music quality, CDs win - they just do. The next time a hipster sales assistant in Fopp tells you any different, simply accept they are making a superficial lifestyle choice based on a derivative retro infused aesthetic & walk away.

10. Streaming vs CDs is like FM radio vs CDs. There's a reason why one has always been prized above the other.

Vinyl - well, the artwork can be pretty I guess. But you're listening to stuff the artist didn't want you to hear. Why would you choose that?

Joanie and Eric Generic like this.
  11. CDs have been treated very poorly by the industry, and by artists.

Loudness wars and generally substandard sound quality have stripped the Compact Disc of its claim for pristine, unequalled HQ sound.

Crummy packaging, with all sorts of daft designs that spoil the discs, make the packaging crumple and deteriorate, and rob the format of the universal style and easy storage options it offers. A bunch of squished, card books of a zillion different heights and widths, all fraying on the edges, does not make for a pleasing, modern collection.

Amateurish sleeve artwork, all DIY rubbish for the most part, with no clue as to visual aesthetics beyond the MS Paint menu, again hasn't helped show off the format at its best. Likewise the lyrics and inserts. You didn't see the major label CDs in the 80s looking like a binned YTS project.

12. 2 more 'Extend the 80s' compilations due out in April

'Groove'

Disc: 1
    1. Love Sensation (A Tom Moulton Mix) - Loleatta Holloway
    2. Casanova - Coffee
    3. There It Is (12" Version) - Shalamar
    4. And the Beat Goes On (Extended Version) - The Whispers
    5. You Gave Me Love (12" Mix) - Crown Heights Affair
    6. Midas Touch (Extended Mix) - Midnight Star
    7. Heartbeat (Club Version) [2016 - Remaster] - Taana Gardner
    8. Roadblock (Rare Groove Mix) - Stock Aitken Waterman
    9. Apache (Jump On It) - The Sugarhill Gang
    10. Fantastic Voyage (Extended) - Lakeside

Disc: 2
    1. Say I'm Your Number One (Full Length Version) - Princess
    2. Every Kinda People (Pt. 1, 2 & 3) - Mint Juleps
    3. Moment of My Life (12" Version) - Inner Life
    4. Can You Feel The Force (12" John Luongo Disco Remix) - The Real Thing
    5. I Can Make You Feel Good (12" Version) - Shalamar
    6. I Found Lovin' - The Fatback Band
    7. Jingo (12" Version) - Candido
    8. Do It To The Music (Club Mix) - Raw Silk
    9. Don't Make Me Wait (MAW Main) [2016 - Remaster] - NYC Peech Boys
    10. Clapping Song (Extended 12" Mix) - The Belle Stars

Disc: 3
    1. The Message - Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
    2. That's the Joint (Long Version) - Funky 4 + 1
    3. Break 4 Luv - Raze
    4. This Time (12" Version) - Funk Deluxe
    5. You Got The Power - War
    6. I Just Can't Wait (The Cool and Breezy Jazz Version) - Mandy Smith
    7. Rapper's Delight - The Sugarhill Gang
    8. We Got the Funk (12" Mix) - Positive Force
    9. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Inner Life
    10. Dance With You - Carrie Lucas

'Hits'

Disc: 1
    1. Love Resurrection (U.S. Long Version) [2016 Remastered] - Alison Moyet
    2. Robert De Niro's Waiting (Extended Version) - Bananarama
    3. A New England (12" Mix) - Kirsty MacColl
    4. She Drives Me Crazy (The David Z Remix) - Fine Young Cannibals
    5. Our House (12" Extended Version) - Madness
    6. Mirror in the Bathroom (Spike Stent Mix) - The Beat
    7. Party Fears Two - The Associates
    8. Clapping Song (Extended 12" Mix) - The Belle Stars
    9. Everybody's Got to Learn Sometime (Alternate Version) - The Korgis

Disc: 2
    1. Never Too Late (Extended Version) - Kylie Minogue
    2. Too Many Broken Hearts (Extended Mix) - Jason Donovan
    3. Showing Out (Get Fresh At The Weekend) (Extended Version) - Mel & Kim
    4. Whenever You Need Somebody (Lonely Hearts Mix) - Rick Astley
    5. Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You) - A Flock Of Seagulls
    6. The Love Parade (12" Version) - The Undertones
    7. Doctor! Doctor! (Extended Version) - Thompson Twins
    8. Call Me (12" Viva Mix) - Spagna
    9. Can't Get By Without You (The Decade Remix '76-'86) - The Real Thing
    10. The Living Years (2014 Remastered) - Mike + The Mechanics

Disc: 3
    1. Two Tribes (Annihilation Mix) - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
    2. Why? - Bronski Beat
    3. Doctorin' The House - Coldcut
    4. Oh L'Amour - Dollar
    5. 99 Red Balloons (Club Mix) - Nena
    6. Always the Sun (Long Hot Sunny Side Up Mix / 12'' Version) - The Stranglers
    7. What Is Love? - Howard Jones
    8. Digging Your Scene (12'' Mastermind Remix) - The Blow Monkeys
    9. I Can Make You Feel Good (12" Version) - Shalamar
    10. It's a Love Thing - The Whispers

13. At this point I am literally gagging for Donna Summer Universal Remasters of every 70’s album (minus “Bad Girls” & plus SWHFTM). Expanded with whatever was left of the BG Deluxe. (The Japanese ones were too basic without bonus content).

I am tired of towing the line & pretending the post peak, 80s Geffen portion of the catalogue has the ability to satiate on the same level (it simply does not, not for me anyway).

. . Still the endless wait goes on with no indication in sight. If I am a demographic I can’t be alone in needing this!

Though if Grace Jones is a point of reference it will probably be a drip (rather than a stream) & even then with Blu-Ray only exclusives assigned to physical.

It’s time for Universal to acknowledge there own incompetence & Hand the catalogue over to someone more worthy - out of embarrassment at there own inability to get on with the damn job in hand!

I have had a gut full of hanging around waiting for them to hurry the F**k up & get on with it already!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    biffy77 likes this.
  14. You're definitely not alone, I have waited quite along time for this. I just hope the long wait is so they do it properly.

biffy77 and Joanie like this.
  15. I would love to get the 70's Donna albums. I have the Japanese ones for Once Upon a Time and Love to Love You Baby, but the Four Seasons of Love and Love Trilogy releases have eluded me. They simply go for way too much. Even though I have SWHFTM and I Remember Yesterday in their vinyl replicas as well, I wish all of her albums matched the 80's-through-Crayons reissues. They're stunning.

biffy77 and Joanie like this.
  16. Those Japanese reissues, though, are probably some of my favourite sounding - and looking - releases. Just top quality throughout.

Humanracin likes this.
  17. imcal and Joanie like this.
  18. Massively dislike pledgemusic.

nlgbbbblth, nnnumb and Eric Generic like this.
  19. I am not overly keen, but where has the PayPal option gone?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.