The Royal Family | Page 45 | The Popjustice Forum

The Royal Family

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slimane, Jun 4, 2010.

1. 2014

2014 Staff Member

The fact there's a livestream of people walking past a coffin in any sense is so...gross? I completely don't get it at all.

2. At this point The Queue is just a premise to a Stephen King short story I read on holiday twenty years ago

mcuk, Lander, life_is_good and 6 others like this.
  3. I find the museum-esque voyeurism undignified. All and sundry filing past like a fairground attraction after waiting on the street for 10 hours. Very tacky.

tea, superloves, Bslg17 and 11 others like this.
  4. And we will have to do it all again in 10-20 years, that’s grim.

Lapras and ohnoitisnathan like this.
  5. Andrew and 1986 like this.
  6. I cannot wait for The Queue: The Musical to tour at a regional theatre near me

4Roses, POPGASM, crash9081 and 7 others like this.
  7. I feel like people won’t care about Charles nn

PopCrushed, Sam, R92 and 19 others like this.
  8. It'll be fascinating to see how it all plays out because the landscape has changed so much since the last coronation seventy years ago.

People accepted Elizabeth's ascension to the throne because a vast proportion believed she was God's representative on earth. Though how much longer are we going to accept the Windsors as ceremonial figureheads as religion becomes more and more irrelevant in society and our daily practices?

I'm relatively apathetic to the monarchy personally but I totally understand the arguments for abolishing it entirely. I guess my question would be the practicalities of that - what happens to the palaces? Do they all just get normal jobs? Who would be our Head of state instead? The family (rather than the institution, I would argue, given how ridiculous the pomp and ceremony feels at the moment) is so embedded in our culture that it's hard to imagine an alternative.

People often claim the "but tourism!" argument with the royal family in the sense that they bring in more to the country in terms of tourism revenue each year than they cost the taxpayer but it would be interesting to know if they actually do give more than they receive in terms of our economy.

mi|kshake likes this.
  9. LTG

LTG

The Crown Estate is property they own by virtue of being the monarch and is managed by the government. All Crown Estate land including Windsor Castle, Buckingham Palace, Holyrood and Regent’s Street (and the royal art collection) should remain part of the state. Use the art to turn palaces into art galleries/museums like the Louvre/Versailles. Turn some into council housing.

They own Sandringham and Balmoral as private citizens and could keep those.

In a lot of European royal families, everyone apart from the monarch and the heir get normal jobs. Charles is meant to want to streamline the royal family so some of them might get real jobs anyway. They could always do posh people stuff like Zara Tindall being an equestrian.

The easiest system for a head of state would be having an independent ceremonial figurehead president like Ireland or Barbados, which both removed the British crown with presidents in 1949 and 2021 respectively.

The president would do all the state functions the monarch carries out, the opening of parliament, signing laws, asking the leader of a party who can command a majority to be PM.

Executive power would stay with the PM. But ideally you’d have a directly elected president who could veto a law they profoundly disagreed with (unlike a monarch as it would cause a constitutional crisis.

Ideally you’d write a constitution while you were doing this, giving directly applicable human rights guarantees. Getting rid of the House of Lords at the same time would be good, potentially replacing it with a senate of the nations/regions.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    R92, beyoncésweave, POPGASM and 12 others like this.
  10. So there’s now a queue to join the queue.

Is she even in the box or stored in a walk-in freezer at The Ivy for now?

upload_2022-9-16_17-20-17.jpeg

Mikey1701 and lob0to like this.
  11. LTG

LTG

The queue was really getting in the way of my run yesterday evening.

12. Or a Point Horror. Dare you face The Queue?

mi|kshake, Maria and Andrew like this.
  13. I can just see a grand film being made out of this whole thing. Reminds me of Madonna’s Evita when she dies abd everyone wanting to see her coffin/body

Maria and Andrew like this.
  14. Do you these people in the queue camp overnight or something or does everyone in the main queue get in to see the coffin within a 24 hour period? I was wondering where these people are sleeping / resting as surely you can’t stay overnight in a hotel and rejoin the queue where you left off, don’t really get the mad people doing it?

Andrew likes this.
  15. LTG

LTG

They’re just walking and stopping all night:

There are portaloos and shops along the way and they get wristbands so people can’t push in.

Whosthatboy122 likes this.
  16. The queue for the queue being called the QEII made me scream.

17. This has to be a joke?!

18. Amazing.

itylts, POPGASM, Andrew and 1 other person like this.
  19. LTG

LTG

No, unfortunately it’s real. I went past Southwark park last night and they were filling up the park to start queuing at 11pm. Was so busy I was astonished and took this:

A78A528F-55AF-4B33-94B0-CC84018FFD6D.jpeg

Whosthatboy122 likes this.
    Andrew likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.