The Saturdays 2022 Re-Rate - Results - [FINALE]

Who is your favourite Saturdays band member?

• Frankie

Votes: 16 14.7%
  • Mollie

Votes: 39 35.8%
  • Rochelle

Votes: 15 13.8%
  • Una

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Vanessa

Votes: 15 13.8%

• Total voters
he/him
We begin our Top 20 with what I guess has been crowned eternally the fanbase's favorite B-Side and only one to ever get inside the Top 20 (did in both rates)

Wildfire.png

B-Side Rank | 1st (1st in 2015)

VIPs | @Mistress of All Evil (11) @Angeleyes @AfternoonsInUtopia @Elysium @Sally_Harper @RUNAWAY @Aester @Guy (10)

Villains | @JMRGBY (3) @phily693 (4.5) @MilesAngel (5.4) @Phonetics Girl (5.5)

Rank Change | -1

Score Change | +0.04

Most Solo Time | Rochelle

Hazey Says | The pre-chorus and Frollie’s verse are great and the chorus is your classic upbeat anthem that should do far more things to me than it ever does. Those who say it’s better than everything on the main album are delusional! It’s…fine and would probably get another point if not for male vocal-thing being repeated. (8)

Although it was the B-Side for Gentleman, it also appeared as a bonus track on the deluxe edition of Living for the Weekend.

Most of the comments back in 2015 were split between whether this is one of their best B-Sides, should’ve been a single, and was better most of the main album itself so of course it deserved to be tacked onto the end of it. With the other side claiming how overrated it was. Though neither side really got into much detail about why they like/dislike the song. We’ll find out if it ends up keeping the crown as best B-Side.

Commentary

@Mistress of All Evil (11) - It was a tough decision, I was torn between a few tracks that I love, but decided that Wildfire is the least flawed. I love the instrumental, the beeping synths of the chorus, and think that the more chilled out verses work as a break between the great choruses. Normally I hate background voices in songs ("Here we go!", "Wildfire", "Yeah!" etc) but for some reason it works for me in this track. Overall a solid club track that I stan.

@Sally_Harper (10) - Sultry! Frankie whispering “Get me started hot like fire” is the best part of a song made up of best parts. WHAT A FUCKING BANGER. I can even overlook the weird and unnecessary “HEREWEGO!” in the background.

@daninternational (9.5) - I really like the male vocals - who is it? A bit Eurovision-y this one.

@louciano (9.25) - This is blissful to my ears, but I don't find myself wanting to rate it any higher. It sounds like a song that they would dance to on one of the early seasons of The Next Step. I could really do without the "Here we go!"s in the verses, though, they are pretty loathsome.

@saviodxl (9) - I'm so glad this was upgraded from mere B-side to an actual album track for the Deluxe Edition of the album.

@Scaper (9) - Would have been a 10 if @Utopia hadn’t pointed out the ‘oh here we go’ yelling in the background of the verses. I’d like to think they intentionally got someone to do a Calvin Harris impersonation for this song after he threw shade at them in the press a few times over the years.

@Hazey's Mom (8.5) - The guy saying wildfire in a weird way ruined a perfectly great song.

@JakobVision22 (7.5) - On what planet should this have been a bonus track instead of the likes of Anywhere With You or Problem With Love?

@Attis (7.5) - "All you got the *insert chiptune noise*" they're so quirky I love them.

@Phonetics Girl (5.5) - Please don't whine at me so loudly, Mr Autotune Man!

I'm with @Phonetics Girl here, it's the only part of the song I think of unfortunately, but the listening experience brings it back up to the 8 I gave it. To me, it's just fine though, nothing extraordinary. Certainly not as legendary as some of the other B-Sides that fall short. I think the fact that it's on an album as a bonus track will always give it the leg-up in the end.

Shoutout Queen

Frankie.png

Frankie gets another win under her belt, thanks to the shoutouts from @Sally_Harper and I giving her the 4-to-2 edge over Mollie.

---

19th is also from the second half of the discography. While we've playing with songs that have gotten 5, 6, 7 perfect scores a-piece, the next song brings 13 to the table!

Wildfire is the best song on Living For The Weekend behind the singles, although I prefer it to 30 days. That chorus is massive.

he/him
We continue to eliminate Top 20 songs that have slid down the rankings a bit, while the two new Top 20 entries live on to the Top 18.

Here's a song that's always polarizing, yet here we are at #19.

What_Are_You_Waiting_For.png

Finest Selection Rank | 1st (1st in 2015)

VIPs | @AfternoonsInUtopia @Shockbox @Iggypig @Elysium DJHazey @Sally_Harper @RUNAWAY @iheartpoptarts @m_dimitrov @Remorque @Guy @Sprockrooster @Robsolete (10)

Villains | @slaybellz (1) @imaduck (3.36) @Attis (5) @Duppe (5.5) @MilesAngel (5.6)

Rank Change | -2

Score Change | -0.01

Most Solo Time | Everyone but Frankie

Hazey Says | It's a basic version of their best dance bops, but damn does it still go off. Actually, it's like they decided to make a pop mix of Andrew W.K.'s “Party Hard” ddd. The beat is insane and you gotta love how all girls pass off each line to each other. I wish they did this more often! It becomes like the perfect introduction to The Saturdays for any newcomer yet is at the end of their time together as a band. How the verses just click off, word after word, with brilliant cadence. The little fluctuation of the synths in the middle of one of the "let it go's" in the chorus is also something I always anticipate.

Written by Xenomania, their first song written by them since All Fired Up and Get Ready, Get Set. There were several other writers for this one song, including Tove Lo and Florrie.

It might be considered a favorite in our hearts but was their lowest ranked single by a mile on the UK Charts at #38.

It really should’ve been a Top 5 hit if you ask some passionate commentators of the 2015 rate. They mentioned not even wanting to think about where it charted, considering the whole situation to be a complete insult. The one obvious element that held it back with a few people is how often the title is repeated, which could become a bit grating. The fact that’s there is a lot going on either was an amazing feature or made it like a ‘wall of sound’. The relentlessness was mostly a positive thing though, with a key highlight being the double-chorus.

Commentary

@Shockbox (10) - It's very repetitive but it's so joyous and always used to be on in my PureGym.

@Sally_Harper (10) - This is fantastic and deserved a better reception from the public. Every line is a hook! Just a relentless blast of joy. I remember meeting my tutor for coffee at uni once and this started playing in the building. It took everything in me to not react as I’d only known her a few weeks and didn’t want to look deranged, but inside I was BOPPING.

@loucaino (9) - Incredible song to get the party going. Not out of place in their discography whatsoever and was one of the songs that got me to look into their discography. Not sure how it took so many people to write this considering the lyrics are rather simplistic.

@Scaper (8.5) - An absolute racket but I love a lot of the production. The ‘cause the party ain’t over til we party through…’ hook is great. The verses and endless repetition of ‘what are you waiting for?’ are not.

@Ezz (8) - This has really grown on me over the years, it's a perfect lighthearted opener to a greatest hits album.

@daninternational (7.5) - They fall into the trap of one-repeated-line choruses a bit too often, this is a bit of a Pink song.

@Hazey's Mom (7) - Tired of the song by the end of it as it far too repetitive. What am I waiting for? The song to end.

@saviodxl (7) - She's a cute girl.

@Phonetics Girl (6) - Damn, Charli Excehellsey has a lot to answer for!

@Attis (5) - Jesus Christ stop this madness.

Trying to figure out what @Phonetics Girl's nickname is for what I'm assuming is to be Charli XCX. It made me re-check the list of songwriters on wikipedia, but I don't see her. There are the expected critiques of the repetitiveness of this banger. This is an element that always makes me hesitant to send some dance songs into PJ00s+ because they may not have a ton of varied lyrics.

Shoutout Queens

Mollie.png

Rochelle.png

This is another one of their songs that combine an element of shared-vocals along with a lot of craziness in this case, so you can't really put a finger on who provides the favorite parts. This is why Mollie and Rochelle are the only ladies with a one shoutout apiece.

---

#18 will be from the first-half of the discography, so On Your Radar's six song monster lives on another day.​

I’m surprised What Are You Waiting For? managed to make it this far, it was a sorry excuse for an Xenomania song at the time and it’s aged terribly since release. Looking back at this performance the writing was on the wall that it was going to be their last release, Frankie looks embarrassed to be there.

What Are You Waiting For is definitely not a Top 20 girl. It's their second weakest single after Just Can't Get Enough. I regret not taking part in this rate. The results are not what I was expecting dd

Trying to figure out what @Phonetics Girl's nickname is for what I'm assuming is to be Charli XCX.
Oh, I was vaguely referencing the iconic Slasher Game hosted by @soratami (MURDER IN EXHECESLEY MANOR), though I was off by a few letters. What Are You Waiting For has always seemed like a late take on that I Love It/Icona Pop sound which produced far too many quality-diminishing clones.

Anyway, disliking only 1/3 of this top 18 is quite a good outcome for me!

White Lies to break into the top 10 this time I know that's right!

We all know it's gonna be a battle of the Ups with Ego/Higher fighting for 3rd, but I'm more interested to see how the other songs place.

White Lies >>> Get Ready Get Set.