The Saturdays - General Discussion | Page 2495 | The Popjustice Forum

The Saturdays - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by poploz, Mar 19, 2008.

1. I guess Disco Love all she does is the "Sh Sh Sh" in the bridge and she missed (all?) of the promotion due to her pregnancy which if I remember is the one she really struggled with. Especially with the press too.

So I imagine she associated it with quite a negative time in her life.

Island, JasonJay, jawow_ and 3 others like this.
  2. Disco Love is a bonafide bop and a half. Definitely one of the best singles from their entire singles catalogue.

I guess she’s entitled to her terrible opinion though.

3. Disco Love's so good it causes amnesia—that's power baby baby baby baby.

4. Frankie showing taste! Disco Love is lower rungs of their discography if we’re all being honest.

Christopher1985 likes this.
  5. Disco Love is perfect pop. A highlight from that album campaign!

JasonJay likes this.
  6. Well, Frankie doesn't remember it because she wasn't even on it!

7. Not Giving Up should've been the second single, before Disco Love and the one that will not be named, but Disco Love still slaps.

8. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Gentleman bops

scottdisick94 and Mr. Mr. like this.
  9. I agree, was never a fan of either this or Gentlemen. Not Giving Up and Wildfire should have led part of the campaign!

girlsaloudjunkie likes this.
  10. I unashamedly love Gentleman.

Mvnl likes this.
  11. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Gentleman is fine but that after their 1st number 1? Catastrophic.

12. Gentleman is way too basic and the lyrics are pure cringe. Not Giving Up after What About Us would have solidified them as a dependable bop-tastic group.

13. It definitely wasn't the right choice to release after What About Us but Gentleman is one of those songs that, had it been left on an album or released as a b-side, would have been lauded as a 'missed opportunity'.

TMI likes this.
  14. Ewww as if! Filler album track at best no matter what angle you look at it from, for me anyway.

15. Unpopular opinion, but the single that I really didn’t connect with was ‘Forever Is Over’

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Mr.Arroz, tylerc904, JasonJay and 7 others like this.
  16. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

This is... a very popular opinion.

17. Forever Is Over is a decent song but it’s not a good Saturdays song.

I remember being so annoyed with their PR line at the time of release that Kelly Clarkson wanted the song but they insisted that they get it. Who’s going to believe that? I’m sure it was just a reject from Kelly’s album that was released earlier that year.

JasonJay, -Jay- and Tony Lamezma like this.
  18. I absolutely love Forever Is Over. One of their best singles. Actually surprised when I first joined the forum that the song is largely hated by the fans. Vanessa owns that song and she absolutely kills it. 10/10.

Slamb and lushLuck like this.
  19. It’s one of my least favourite Saturdays singles!

I’ve always felt that Forever Is Over was quite a sudden & strange deviation for the group, after the sound/image of Chasing Lights. It certainly wasn’t a direction I wanted or expected from them. Don’t get me wrong, I love a bit of pop/rock, but for me that song is merely ok and didn’t seem too sincere coming from them.

I’m probably projecting but I can imagine The Saturdays being more excited about that song in terms of the other artists who were offered it, more so than really thinking it was all that great in its own right (we at least know that Mollie seems to think very little of it, ha... her reaction sends me).

It managing to reach #2 shocked me at the time, and honestly it still bewilders me that they pulled that off dd - I didn’t sense in the run up to its release that it was building up to do that well (prior to its release, its TV/Radio Airplay wasn’t great). I was happy for them though, and I did contribute to that chart position by buying the CD/downloading it (which I faithfully did with every one of their releases).

Despite that single peak, Wordshaker didn’t exactly do very well off the back of it, which was curious. I’m sure Polydor must have had great confidence in it being an album selling single, or they wouldn’t have gone with just one pre-album single.

Ego felt like it was a course correction single, the one they really should have launched that era with.

The biggest kii of that single release was an interview where they allegedly said they were happy to see the back of Girls Aloud and that they considered themselves as being better than the Sugababes. After that article was published, they took to Twitter to say they were misquoted!

Rochelle said: "We're ready to pounce.

"We're glad to see the back of Girls Aloud.

"We know what we can do and we're ready to take advantage of their absence."

Frankie continued: "All of Girls Aloud will do well individually but our new album shows how much we have improved. We are a much better all round package now."

"We're fitter, better dancers and our voices are much better," quipped Mollie.

Una added: "We are definitely aiming to be the best girl band around."

"There is no one else around anyway!" added Rochelle.

When asked if that included fellow group Sugababes, Una said: "Yes, we're better than them."

~~

@unahealy: Please don't believe anything you read about us putting down GA or Sugababes its not true! We would never do that x

@RochelleTheSats: Girls Aloud and Sugababes are role models to us! We would never say those things..xxx

@MollieTheSats: Girls Aloud gave us our big chance & I look up to them SO much!They are such an inspiration & I would never have a bad word to say abt them!

JasonJay, Runawaywithme and Mvnl like this.
  20. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

To be fair the quotes suggest they are better 'than they used to be'. I read no comparison to Girls Aloud.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.