The Saturdays - General Discussion | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

The Saturdays - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by poploz, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Popjustice

Popjustice Administrator

Re: The Saturdays - General Discussion Thread

To be honest the sample's completely redundant in the Saturdays song and I have literally no idea what it's doing in there.

2. Tangled_Up

Tangled_Up Guest

Yey! I was really hoping for Fallen Angelz from the beginning, I really loved her voice! My anticipation has just spiked somewhat.

Edit: Oh, and I can't find this clip. Link?

3. Re: The Saturdays - General Discussion Thread

It's a captivating intro, and makes the listener stay until the chorus - by which stage yes, the song can more than hold it's own.

4. Popjustice

Popjustice Administrator

Which seems like a polite way of saying 'the intro, first verse and bridge aren't up to much'.

5. Re: The Saturdays - General Discussion Thread

It's a crime that Heidi isnt releasing Body Language, (incidentally the #5 most played song on my iPod) when she's peddling out some crap instead.

If the Saturdays' song (which is no longer on the girl's MySpace) is half as good as Body Language, I'll be happy. We do seem to be getting an influx of girlbands right now which doesnt bode well for the split rumours surrounding a certain group (which, coincidentally, are 1-4 on my iPod's most played list) though.

6. Re: The Saturdays - General Discussion Thread

Are you referring to the certain girlband who have been surrounded by split rumours since 2003? I'm sure it has more to do with record companies trying to replicate the success of Girls Aloud and Sugababes rather than supplying a public service in which we get a back up girlband just in case one of the big ones call it a day.

7. Re: The Saturdays - General Discussion Thread

No, it's more a case of that the verses and bridge sound better once you've heard the chorus.

As well as helping the listener along to the chorus, the sample should also provoke a good level of interest. Aside from our Heidi, nobody's ever used it before.

8. Popjustice

Popjustice Administrator

But verses and bridges always sound better after you've heard a chorus! The whole point of an intro, first verse and bridge is to make you want to get to the chorus in the first place - they're just as important song elements as choruses are, not unnecessary bits which should be thrown in at the last minute and/or rescued with a sample if they're not working. I don't want it to sound like I'm down on the song or the band because I'm not but I fail to see what level of interest the sample is likely to prompt beyond 287 people on the internet and 12 Mute completeists. Just seems a bit of an odd one to me, really.

9. Re: The Saturdays - General Discussion Thread

The first verse and bridge of 'If It's Not Love' without the sample behind them just aren't captivating enough. You said yourself on the front page today that we're in a generation of people downloading a new song, giving it half a listen, and discarding it without allowing it to ever grow.

The familar sample is going to maintain interest, therefore I think it's more than warranted.

Obviously we don't know what kind of an intro the producers would have concocted had they decided against the sample, it could just have easily been miles better. But in this instance, I think it's clear that the build up to the first chorus relies heavily on its famous backing track. When the promos are sent to the middle aged reviewers, DJ's, and critics who honed their love of music in the eighties, the sample is only going to be of further help to make The Saturdays stand out from all of the other new girlbands being launched later.

10. Popjustice

Popjustice Administrator

I feel like we're arguing but we're agreeing on the same thing aren't we - the first verse and bridge rely on the sample because they're weak. I think it's a shame really - surely it can't be that hard to find someone who'll write a complete song or supply a decent verse/bridge for one.

I see what you mean about the sample but I think you're wrong about it having a positive effect. Any middle aged reviewers who do review it will think it's lame and cheap and this really isn't the sort of act who'll break through press coverage.

11. Re: The Saturdays - General Discussion Thread

In that case, yes we are.

Hmm, the thing is though, Ina Wrolsden is a more than competent composer and I've got half a dozen songs of hers which sound great the whole way through without samples. My guess is that she wanted to have a track in her repertoire that appealed to a label who would view the 'Situation' sample the same way I did - as a help. But you're right - myself, the label and her could have totally misjudged it.

Time will tell but I don't think we have. I think it works really well.

12. Tangled_Up

Tangled_Up Guest

I still can't find this song. I've been on all the bands myspaces and it's not there!

13. Re: The Saturdays - General Discussion Thread

i can't find it anywhere either, not expecting much though after hearing these comments. where does scandipop work since he always seems to "know" stuff.

14. someboy0716

someboy0716 Guest

The short clip wasn't the new "Maneater", but it sounded good to me.

15. Re: The Saturdays - General Discussion Thread

Oh don't be put off because of the discussion about the verses. It's still a great song and works really well.

Ahem.

16. Re: The Saturdays - General Discussion Thread

Sampling eighties songs used to be cool, didn't it?

17. Tangled_Up

Tangled_Up Guest

I still can't find this anywhere. Can someone please post a link or something? I'm dying to hear it now!

18. Re: The Saturdays - General Discussion Thread

I don't know where it's available online, sorry. I just have the song on CD, I haven't heard it online.

19. Tangled_Up

Tangled_Up Guest

*sigh* Worth a try. Guess i'll have to wait.

20. Re: The Saturdays - General Discussion Thread

Cool is only cool before your mother and your dentist's dog are doing it. They should be really daring and sample Girls Aloud or something. Make the whole project REALLY OBVIOUS.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.