The Saturdays - On Your Radar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be absurd! You're talking as if the lyrics and their melody are the only thing that matters. The melody in the production is lush.

And no Sexy! is an awful 'song'

Talk about handbags at dawn.

I think it's a weak track with weak production. Bit of a typical Xenomania track...they're all usually a thrown together mess with not much in the way of strong hooks. Why so many wank themselves silly over Xenomania's output I will never understand.

The vocals are the most important element in pop music. The production fits around it in more ways than you think. The lack of lyrics, lyrical melody, vocals etc all contribute to this not being as quickly loved like other songs - it took us all time to like it, and I think maybe it will take/has taken a bit longer for the public to 'adapt' to it.

It could give them a longer chart run however if people aren't into it now, there's a chance maybe futher down the line they may be.

I said the top line melody was the most important thing. It's the bit people sing along to. Trying to compensate for shit/no melody with production is what is referred to as 'trying to polish a turd'.

It's a very shiny turd.

The best Xenomania tracks were those that however experimental they were feeling with their song structures always had a strong melodic core - usually around the chorus. Far too many Girls Aloud songs are good examples of this for me to be bothered to list them here. Sexy! No No No probably wouldn't be the best example.

I wish it actually sounded like a Space Cowboy song. With little shoutouts from him in his funny "Sting with a headcold" voice and everything.

michaelhird said:
Jessie J as well.. God even worse.. I'm surprised Susan Boyle isnt going to make an appearance..

Or Sinitta!

Oh boy. They are in trouble.

1 Pixie Lott - All About Tonight - 1.000000
2 The Saturdays - All Fired Up - 0.768011
3 Maroon 5 - Moves Like Jagger (Studio Recording from the Voice Performance) - 0.748078
4 Tweet Avicii & Leona Lewis - Collide (Radio Edit) - 0.500887

They could be looking at 3 by Sunday.

What promo do they have this week?

She/her
I don't know why they are still on Capital FM when the station loves AFU to death and wants it to be an hit. They don't need to go there and chat. They should try something with Radio 1 which doesn't play them a lot (apparently).

My All Fired Up record has "UNITY" scratched into it between the playable area and the label. Anyone know what that's about? It looks like it was done by hand.

Unity are the company who mastered the vinyl. I guess they wanted some recognition too so they etched it in themselves.

This idea that the absence of a big top line melody must mean a song cannot be good is rather pedestrian. Pop can be one big production - if it's good enough - and still be great.

It's definitely the production that appeals to me with this song. That's usually the case with this type of music, people don't necessarily buy Calvin Harris or Example tracks because of their great vocals and well thought out lyrics. It was clearly a conscious decision to keep the lyrics to a minimum.

This is about to drop to #3 on iTunes. Under other circumstances, I'd be thrilled that it even managed to get to #3 but I can't let go of the fact that they were #1 at one point. Biggest pop injustice in quite a while.

"The edge of desire" is obviously a reference to orgasm brought on by heavy-petting and grinding on the dance floor, correct?

Shame it's dropping! I bet they're all dying right now. Shame they don't have well thought out promo to pick up for that drop either!

Maybe next time girls.

RhythmNative said:
I said the top line melody was the most important thing. It's the bit people sing along to. Trying to compensate for shit/no melody with production is what is referred to as 'trying to polish a turd'.

It's a very shiny turd.

The best Xenomania tracks were those that however experimental they were feeling with their song structures always had a strong melodic core - usually around the chorus. Far too many Girls Aloud songs are good examples of this for me to be bothered to list them here. Sexy! No No No probably wouldn't be the best example.

Sexy! No, No, No has a much stronger melody than it gets credit for though. If you've ever that girl on youtube doing it as a piano ballad, it's actualy quite gorgeous.

As far as the Sats go though, I dunno what to do about scoring an elusive number one. But, then again, even the Aloud struggled for a mighty long time if you exclude SOTU which had the Popstars juggernaut behind it. Maybe it's time they did a cover of I'll Stand By You for charidee? Or collaborated with the Sugababes for comic relief?

RhythmNative said:

Yes but they are few and far between. You started out saying that even Girls Aloud at their worst was better than this, now Sexy! isn't a good example?

All Fired Up's melody is strong enough to sing along to. It is enhanced by a great production and decent performance by the girls. If thats not enough for you then you just don't like the song rather than it being some conspiracy to be worse than Girls Aloud, who are clearly the benchmark...

Anyway Im glad this is still doing well as I quite like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.