The Saturdays | Page 3458 | The Popjustice Forum

The Saturdays

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by poploz, Mar 19, 2008.

1. TeenIdle

TeenIdle Guest

Mollie during her solo segments. HOLY SHIT. Such a flawless entity in pop. And the single mix is great.

2. I don't get it either. I keep seeing people (on various forums) saying they're out of sync with their dancing and that it looks cheap and unoriginal and stuff. When I watched it for the first time I had goosebumps because it just looked so massive. The song really needed lots of quick camera shots, lights and the girls looking sexy and the video really delivered.

I HATED the Disco Love video with a passion because it just plodded on and it was a wasted concept. The first chorus of the song had Frankie just casually look up a bit and tilt her shoulder. How is that supposed to make the song exciting?! The 90's section where they were sitting down in front of dancers was also a complete bore.

THIS is how you sell a song to people. It's a monster of a song and if they had released this with them standing around and posing in front of dancers it would not have been interesting at all.

3. I wouldn't say they tried their hardest with this video. They just learned the routine and that was it... BUT, holding and coordinating those lights is an additional difficulty for them and when performed by five people (of varying abilities to perform structured and complex moves), the differences will be visible instantly. I'm definitely not here for some dancers. And if they decided to do a dance routine with those sticks, then I guess they should have rehearsed it a bit more. I, however, definitely love the video as it is and that is a very minor problem, if any!

I think that I haven't been that excited for their single since the release of 30 Days... I liked Gentleman, but it was nowhere as exciting and good as what's happening right now.

4. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

1. What About Us
    2. All Fired Up
    3. Not Giving Up
    4. Higher

... the rest

5. Super stars don't do half arsed routine and aren't out of synch.

Don't me wrong, they look FANTASTIC and like proper stars during their solo shots, but the dance sections are lazy. (Not the ones where they are all in circle' these are nice). The shots that close on one or two particular girls instead than all of them (during the dancing) look better too.

6. Without a doubt their finest singles.

I maintain that 'All Fired Up' is the better video (as it's free of the choreography issues and product placement intro) but 'Not Giving Up' really is a stellar effort and out-does 'Something New' in the category of "fairly sleek, monochrome, performance-led girlband efforts".

7. Frankie, Mollie, Una, Vanessa, Rochelle, What You Ding Saturday Girl?

I'm doing nothing.

That opening is so epic.

But coming back to the video, I think it is epic and it looks like brilliant fun!

8. I'd replace What About Us and Higher with Missing You and 30 Days and probably rearrange them and then it would be more telling of what I love most...

9. It's a very slick, straightforward, effective video and it fits the song perfectly. Mollie is indeed a bit of a superstar throughout. The only weakness is the wide shots of them dancing during the chorus; the strip lights only highlight how out of sync their movements are at times and the height discrepancies between the girls doesn't help either.

It's ridiculous that they sat on this track for song long or that Wildfire was the b-side to Gentleman rather than the main attraction. What About Us > Wildfire > Not Giving Up would have been a stellar (if slightly samey) singles run.

10. Yes, thank you frozen78!

I really believe they didn't incorporate additional beats to the single mix (I will have to listen again properly with headphones), they just seem to be less mixed in. The bass also seems to be accented a bit stronger, doesn't it?

11. The video is on 40,000 views. I have no idea if that's any good for this 15 hours or not though?

12. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

They should have filmed a few extra scenes for an actual Citro├źn advert as well. Not that being turned into a car advert turned "Papi" into a monster hit, but it would be nice to hear the song during ad breaks.

13. Mollie's verse is still thoroughly amazing; who knew she had it in her?

14. Compare her in 'If This Is Love' to this video. What a change.

15. It is pretty much her best vocal performance ever (though I shudder to imagine how it would sound live - I say 'would' because we'll probably never find out). It also only occurred to me today that the two verses are melodically unique from one another, which is always nice.

16. She sang in kind of the same way during Higher at the Live Lounge.

17. PLEASE BE A GLOBAL SMASH

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.