The Saturdays

You could definitely tell they weren’t chasing anything groundbreaking and just wanted to release fun pop. From day one they showed up with good vibes and massive pop songs- and I think their personalities helped that.

It's always disheartening to see a lot of the times when people talk about The Saturdays (especially in the early days and even now) they act is if Girls Aloud, Sugababes, Atomic Kitten and even Little Mix never had moments where they were they were having "go girl, give us nothing" moments with basic fist pumping, out of synch shimmying and rotating positions. All while miming or delivering a mediocre vocal. It's 100% not exclusive to The Saturdays and it's silly for people to act as if other girlbands (and all pop groups honestly!) of that time were serving all day everyday. I'm sure we could all find a ton of shit performances for them all.

They really got the brunt end of it as they emerged whilst other girlbands were splitting or going through lineup changes, people really took out their aggression on them. I remember reading so many comments online about them "not being talented enough," shallow, basic (it's pop!) being labeled a "poor mans" Girls Aloud, not being "edgy" enough, etc. Not only were a lot of things being said sexist and demeaning but they always had this disposition of comparison- as if The Saturdays had to do the same thing as one of the other contemporary girlbands to be successful, all without giving them a chance to do their own thing, whilst also acting as if those same bands were perfect all the time and immune from having a bad performance/song/dance. It also didn't help that the press was thriving off a culture that was attempting to degrade women all the time. A lot of the times it astounded me at how a lot of the discussion surrounding women in pop could really push one group of women to thrive and another to be dragged down. And sometimes it still happens on more current threads/boards which also baffles me!

You could definitely tell they weren’t chasing anything groundbreaking and just wanted to release fun pop. From day one they showed up with good vibes and massive pop songs- and I think their personalities helped that.

It's always disheartening to see a lot of the times when people talk about The Saturdays (especially in the early days and even now) they act is if Girls Aloud, Sugababes, Atomic Kitten and even Little Mix never had moments where they were they were having "go girl, give us nothing" moments with basic fist pumping, out of synch shimmying and rotating positions. All while miming or delivering a mediocre vocal. It's 100% not exclusive to The Saturdays and it's silly for people to act as if other girlbands (and all pop groups honestly!) of that time were serving all day everyday. I'm sure we could all find a ton of shit performances for them all.

They really got the brunt end of it as they emerged whilst other girlbands were splitting or going through lineup changes, people really took out their aggression on them. I remember reading so many comments online about them "not being talented enough," shallow, basic (it's pop!) being labeled a "poor mans" Girls Aloud, not being "edgy" enough, etc. Not only were a lot of things being said sexist and demeaning but they always had this disposition of comparison- as if The Saturdays had to do the same thing as one of the other contemporary girlbands to be successful, all without giving them a chance to do their own thing, whilst also acting as if those same bands were perfect all the time and immune from having a bad performance/song/dance. It also didn't help that the press was thriving off a culture that was attempting to degrade women all the time. A lot of the times it astounded me at how a lot of the discussion surrounding women in pop could really push one group of women to thrive and another to be dragged down. And sometimes it still happens on more current threads/boards which also baffles me!
Lots of passion, lots of energy, lots of footwork in this post and I was feeling the emotion until I watched the videos and got to Little Mix...which, let's be realistic here, is leagues above any performance The Saturdays ever did so probably wasn't the best comparison to back up your point.

Lots of passion, lots of energy, lots of footwork in this post and I was feeling the emotion until I watched the videos and got to Little Mix...which, let's be realistic here, is leagues above any performance The Saturdays ever did so probably wasn't the best comparison to back up your point.

If we're being realistic - that choreo is just as low demanding as any of the other performances in that same post. I don't think you're grasping the point if what you're taking away from me listing that performance is an opportunity to further perpetuate exactly what I was talking about.

Also that Little Mix performance would not be the one to stand by if we're going to talk about top tier performances around serving good choreo.

If we're being realistic - that choreo is just as low demanding as any of the other performances in that same post. I don't think you're grasping the point if what you're taking away from me listing that performance is an opportunity to further perpetuate exactly what I was talking about.

Also that Little Mix performance would not be the one to stand by if we're going to talk about top tier performances around serving good choreo.
No I am grasping your point.

You're bringing other girl groups down to fit the narrative that they all had performances of 'go girl, give us nothing' but you used a performance from Little Mix that was better than anything The Saturdays ever did and still wasn't even close to giving nothing but that says more about how amazing Little Mix were than you comparing girl bands.

No I am grasping your point.
You're really not.

You're bringing other girl groups down to fit the narrative that they all had performances of 'go girl, give us nothing'
Everyone has moments where they aren't going to deliver their best- that's not a vicious drag. They're human! I distinctly even said all pop bands/groups have moments where they give us nothing/we could find bad performances - and that's okay! It's not exclusive to any one pop group. That's the point.

You seem really hung up that I used that Little Mix performance so I'm sorry if I offended you with that, maybe I should've linked a performance of where they were giving the same amount of nothing as those other performances so it's less threatening. I find your tone to be very telling though, and maybe I'm just misreading it due to it being just text but it seems very malicious and intending to demean.

You're really not.

Everyone has moments where they aren't going to deliver their best- that's not a vicious drag. They're human! I distinctly even said all pop bands/groups have moments where they give us nothing/we could find bad performances - and that's okay! It's not exclusive to any one pop group. That's the point.

You seem really hung up that I used that Little Mix performance so I'm sorry if I offended you with that, maybe I should've linked a performance of where they were giving the same amount of nothing as those other performances so it's less threatening. I find your tone to be very telling though, and maybe I'm just misreading it due to it being just text but it seems very malicious and intending to demean.
Malicious because I don't agree that the Little Mix performance you used as an example is even remotely close to any Saturdays performances? Demeaning because I don't agree with you when your post was demeaning to multiple girlbands. You don't need to compare them to make your point that you love The Saturday's, they were a great group with some brilliant songs and all seem like fantastic women.

However, nice try. You got pushback and now need to change the narrative that my tone is off and malicious and demeaning to you. Have a nice evening.

Malicious because I don't agree that the Little Mix performance you used as an example is even remotely close to any Saturdays performances? Demeaning because I don't agree with you when your post was demeaning to multiple girlbands. You don't need to compare them to make your point that you love The Saturday's, they were a great group with some brilliant songs and all seem like fantastic women.

However, nice try. You got pushback and now need to change the narrative that my tone is off and malicious and demeaning to you. Have a nice evening.

Malicious because you seem intent on perpetuating the narrative that I originally was talking about in my first post. The point of that post wasn't to rank them in any capacity and I'm sorry if that's how it came off, not the intent by any means. I love all the groups I listed and you're speaking as if I had the intention of putting The Saturdays above them all when the heart of my post was calling out was how no one singular group is ever going to be at 100% all the time, and a lot of the discussion around them is always poised to be as if they are the only girl band that has that happen. The same thing happens to other pop groups as well which I mentioned. I don't mind pushback or people not agreeing with what I'm saying but I feel like you're trying to say the point of my post is something it's not because I included Little Mix? You seemed upset and just got more intense/pointed as I tried to explain but if you're committed to not listening I don't know what you really want/why you responded.

Malicious because you seem intent on perpetuating the narrative that I originally was talking about in my first post. The point of that post wasn't to rank them in any capacity and I'm sorry if that's how it came off, not the intent by any means. I love all the groups I listed and you're speaking as if I had the intention of putting The Saturdays above them all when the heart of my post was calling out was how no one singular group is ever going to be at 100% all the time, and a lot of the discussion around them is always poised to be as if they are the only girl band that has that happen. The same thing happens to other pop groups as well which I mentioned. I don't mind pushback or people not agreeing with what I'm saying but I feel like you're trying to say the point of my post is something it's not because I included Little Mix? You seemed upset and just got more intense/pointed as I tried to explain but if you're committed to not listening I don't know what you really want/why you responded.
I replied to your original post about the Little Mix performance. You then replied with a further Little Mix performance that you felt was a strong one to back up your original point saying that I wasn't grasping your point. You continued the Little Mix chat with a Saturdays performance you feel has the same energy as the Little Mix performance in your original post (which it doesn't). I then explained I was grasping your point but why I disagreed. You then said about my tone and that I was being malicious and demeaning because you got pushback from me. I explained why I wasn't and to have a nice evening.

You have now continued to say I became more pointed/intense and committed to not listening...because I disagree with you and you don't know what I want or why I responded. On an opinion forum.

I apologise for disagreeing with you and if me responding to your post has upset you.

The Saturdays from late 2009-early 2013 were a litreal lifeline for kids like me, who needed their colourful pop escape from a bleak childhood. They really held down the fort when acts like them, just wanting to put out good pop records and have a good time, seemed to just fall by the wayside. Yes, you had your Katy's and Gaga's but they always felt like personas, like unreachable, untouchable characters. Which is fine. But The Saturdays (in part due to their genuinely brilliant personalities and flip videos) felt like they could be your nice older sisters freinds. They were a gang it felt like you could be a member of. There was something endearing, and yes, sloppy, about them that made them so relatable at a time when popstars were trying not to be pop. They were proudly uncool, extremely camp and the definition of giving the gays what they want when being gay wasn't even popular.

I salute them so much.

Someone make Boots go bust so Rochelle needs to shimmy to Up through gritted teeth to finish her new bathroom.

I replied to your original post about the Little Mix performance. You then replied with a further Little Mix performance that you felt was a strong one to back up your original point saying that I wasn't grasping your point. You continued the Little Mix chat with a Saturdays performance you feel has the same energy as the Little Mix performance in your original post (which it doesn't). I then explained I was grasping your point but why I disagreed. You then said about my tone and that I was being malicious and demeaning because you got pushback from me. I explained why I wasn't and to have a nice evening.

You have now continued to say I became more pointed/intense and committed to not listening...because I disagree with you and you don't know what I want or why I responded. On an opinion forum.

I apologise for disagreeing with you and if me responding to your post has upset you.
I'm not upset, just confused.

You took the conversation in a direction of pitting Little Mix and The Saturdays against each other, because I said that Black Magic performance wasn't exerting a lot. I included that other performance as a juxtaposition to where I felt like it was top tier, full of energy and full of great choreo for them. You seem more bothered of my opinion on that Black Magic performance- at least enough to start positioning your posts to lean into "ones better than the other." I'm fine if you think that performance is great and not the same as the others. I'm confused as to why my opinion on that performance bothers you enough to say that because I don't think that highly of it as you do changes the original point of my post. The initial thing I called out was that people act as if The Saturdays are the only girl band that have mediocre performances that give nothing. I can't specify enough that my point was all bands have their moments, good and bad. Off days are not exclusive to anyone one person. I feel like you're not listening and just doubling down on your own opinions of the two groups, feeding right back into the narrative I was commenting on.
The Saturdays from late 2009-early 2013 were a litreal lifeline for kids like me, who needed their colourful pop escape from a bleak childhood. They really held down the fort when acts like them, just wanting to put out good pop records and have a good time, seemed to just fall by the wayside. Yes, you had your Katy's and Gaga's but they always felt like personas, like unreachable, untouchable characters. Which is fine. But The Saturdays (in part due to their genuinely brilliant personalities and flip videos) felt like they could be your nice older sisters freinds. They were a gang it felt like you could be a member of. There was something endearing, and yes, sloppy, about them that made them so relatable at a time when popstars were trying not to be pop. They were proudly uncool, extremely camp and the definition of giving the gays what they want when being gay wasn't even popular.

I salute them so much.

Someone make Boots go bust so Rochelle needs to shimmy to Up through gritted teeth to finish her new bathroom.
I love this.

They really had something special as a group.

You took the conversation in a direction of pitting Little Mix and The Saturdays against each other
No.

You seem more bothered of my opinion on that Black Magic performance- at least enough to start positioning your posts to lean into "ones better than the other."
Also no. Please see the below from my post about them:
You don't need to compare them to make your point that you love The Saturday's, they were a great group with some brilliant songs and all seem like fantastic women.

I'm confused as to why my opinion on that performance bothers you enough to say that because I don't think that highly of it as you do changes the original point of my post
It didn't bother me but in reply to your post, on an opinion forum, as I've pointed out already is that the performance, which you were choosing to back up your argument was better than anything The Saturdays ever did. But as below, I said was more about Little Mix than you comparing the groups.
but that says more about how amazing Little Mix were than you comparing girl bands.

I feel like you're not listening and just doubling down on your own opinions of the two groups, feeding right back into the narrative I was commenting on.
I've listened, I've replied, I've responded and explained even with you throwing out your tone/pointed etc accusations.

I'm not sure what you wanted if you didn't want a conversation or a difference of opinion on an opinion forum. However as I've stated above I did listen, I did reply, I responded and I explained but I won't be again to you as frankly, I can't be arsed. And that is me being pointed. Again, have a nice evening.

Side note: as I've stated before on here Chasing Lights is one of the best debut girlband albums of all time.

I think @flapjack- was just rightfully pointing out that even the best girl bands (like Little Mix) could have an off day. Natural and expected of any popstar. They’re human.

They made a valid point that The Saturdays were vilified way too dramatically when they delivered amazing pop music.

I, myself, have said many times I don’t find a lot of their performances top tier but they weren’t utterly atrocious either and they deserve respect on their name for their discography alone.

I think 99.9% of people on this forum would agree that Little Mix are incredible performers and are one of the greatest girl bands this country has ever produced.

Now, back to The Saturdays. I’m praying something happens soon!

Some new performance vocals for If This Is Love and Up from back in the day have leaked.
Gonna bring it back here cause I have to hear this! Does anyone have a link to listen/stream it?

The Saturdays bop to non-bop ratio is the best of any UK girl band (at least when it comes to singles) and this is a hill I am willing to die on. The Greatest Hits is bulletproof.
I really hope one day they release some stuff from the vault! Even if it's material that ends up belonging in the bin I'm so curious to see what other sounds they were chasing/other tracks they wrote.