The Scary Jokes (Let's Eat Grandma but boppier) | The Popjustice Forum

The Scary Jokes (Let's Eat Grandma but boppier)

Discussion in 'Potential next big things' started by Inland Empire, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Inland Empire

Inland Empire Staff Member

Randomly came across this album and gave it a shot because there's not a whole lot else to listen to in January...and I love it! I'd describe it as somewhere between Let's Eat Grandma and Uffie. 'Jeannie... You're a Tragedy' and 'Death, Thrice Dawn' are the most immediate bops if you want a starting point, and 'Crushed Out on Soda Beach' is also well worth a listen.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  2. Yes!!!

I hadn't shared this here yet, but so glad you did. (and that someone else on PJ likes this album. It's a bit... 'different'. ha!)

I'm taking part in @ohnostalgia 's 2019 Album Challenge & I randomly discovered this album via albumoftheyear.com this week while looking for my first January album to listen to.

I drafted a mini-capsule review to add to my 'challenge results post' that I was going to share at then end of the month (when I'll share a little blurbs about all 7 new albums I plan to listen to each month), but sufficive to say... I have been obsessed with this album this week.

Here's my capsule thoughts/review from my drafted post

• 1. The Scary Jokes: Burn Pygmalion!!! A Better Guide To Romance
      • So, my first new album of 2019 is quirky as hell. Haha! I randomly found this while looking at the weekly new releases at albumoftheyear.com. How to describe this? Wow. I’m usually good at the game of saying: “ this is _____ meets ______.”, but this one is tough.
      • My first thoughts were that sonically it has the low-key/quirky vibe of Beach Boys’ albums like Love You (or even parts of Smiley Smile) meets they lyrical details of Emmy The Great's songwriting meets the narrative concept of a quirky tv show like Search Party. Got all that! (I’d call the album a ‘Roller Skating Rink Soap Opera Musical’.)
      • It’s basically a concept album that tells a complicated love story about an entertainment journalist and their movie star girlfriend. It’s super weird, but I really like it. Goes without saying this album might be a divisive choice on PJ.
      • I’d rate it an 8.7, but I will be listing this this more. I’m of this band fan, now. Fave song is ’Crushed Out on Soda Beach’.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Inland Empire and ohnostalgia like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.