The Scream Franchise | Page 128 | The Popjustice Forum

The Scream Franchise

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by johnny_tsunami, Jul 27, 2019.

1. I still find the January release strange.

ohaimanabu likes this.
  2. There’s nothing really strange about it. The film would be going up against a lot of competition if it released around Halloween.

3. Exactly. It's perfect post-holiday/Award season counter-programming at a time when there aren't many major new releases. Exactly the right time to avoid getting lost in the shuffle.

4. Haven’t these always opened in the winter? I specifically remember S1 and 2 being released around December or so

either way, my bday is 1.11 so it’ll be perfect for my week

Andrew.L likes this.
  5. Scream 1 and 2 were Christmas releases which is usually a very lucrative spot (although probably not for horror films). I don't think January used to be considered prime real estate but things look like they're changing.

6. January isn’t prime real estate in the slightest, but it helps minimize competition and keeps it away from the financial pressure/ expectations of holiday blockbusters. It’ll be the one marquee release at the time, which is a smart move. April-August, and October-December are such crowded times at the box office in a normal year, but starting this fall, I don’t think there will be enough theaters to show the amount of content that will be released in the 12 months that follow. Finding the one gap period is the best way to go.

ohaimanabu and johnoclock like this.
  7. If the January release sticks, imma need Neve and Courtney to guest judge on Drag Race Season 14's premiere, complete with a Scream mini and maxi challenge.

[​IMG]

8. Um yes please!!

Mr.Arroz likes this.
  9. Courtney isn’t touching Drag Race. Neve probably would though.

ohaimanabu likes this.
  10. SBK

SBK

This.

We love Scream, but to the general public - its Scream 5, with every horror franchise release there comes an 'oh not another one' kinda mentality with the general public.
    Sure for us it would be nice to have it this year but realistically the studio want/need it to do well, and if you're releasing in q4 amongst all the post covid backlog people will be forced to choose what they see and what they don't/can't afford to.

lushLuck likes this.
  11. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

I get a lil more excited every time I see this thread bumped - I remember my older sister coming back from the theater back in '96 after the seeing the original and waiting desperately for the VHS to finally come out so I could join the 'older' kids and see it too. Having another installment after how slightly under-the-bar 4 was hopefully will be both a rebirth and redemption for the series overall.

12. So allegedly they screened a cut for the studio folk and they were pleased. This is from someone who claims to have seen it.

"It's very fucking good even though there's still work to be done (more edits, ADR, grading). ect. The studio notes were minor and there won't be re-shoots."

Very light spoilers which are nothing huge in my opinion but just in case:
    Some fantastic kills. Two in particular unnerving chase sequences. Really strong characters. Ghostface is menacing and stealthy. The whoddunit element is played to perfection, and it's a great movie. The "meta" lens is quite unique and very fun. There's some great commentary on gender roles. This film is deserving of Wes's legacy. The OG's have purpose, but it's also great world building with room for sequels.

This really has the potential to re-boot slashers just as the original did. It's innovative and will have people talking, I will also say that 95% if the "spoilers" I've seen floating around here are dummy.

They also gave one line of dialogue with out saying who says it but I'll leave that out. [/spoilers]

13. Sounds very promising!

ohaimanabu and Steve003 like this.
  14. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Exciting af!

Steve003 likes this.
  15. Eeep. Soo excited!

16. Uno

Uno

Oh God all that sounds so exciting. I need a trailer!

17. That’s all I need to see! I don’t care for real spoilers, but I love hearing that it’s good. I feel like the new Halloween revamped that franchise and stayed true to itself and it’s nice to see Scream doing the same!

Roey_says, sesita, Alenko and 4 others like this.
  18. I cant wait until we get a preview!! Im so excited to hear there are chase scenes. 4 really was missing a good chase scene,

Steve003 likes this.
  19. The line of dialogue that is alleged to be said...I kind of love it.

If that doesn't sound like
    Sid finishing off the killer, I don't know what does.

If anyone is curious, it's...

When are you fuckers going to learn? This is my story. I make the fucking rules.

Nwonder likes this.
  20. The way that line of dialog could sound like Sid after she's revealed as the killer

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.