The Scream Franchise

He/him
Yeah, I think it's because we've seen Emma play that exact type of character that she turns into in act 3, so many times, that I just don't take it seriously. She's like a caricature. Even though Stu was arguably way more over the top, Matthew sold the fuck out of it. Emma doesn't have the chops unfortunately.

There's no question about it, 4 is far and away the worst. By an enormous distance.

But I still wouldn't skip it on a series binge, because Scream is just that bitch.

And I'm very happy to see the praise for Melissa's performance in those early reactions, because her line reading in the trailer had me worried.

I like all 5 movies, but I'd rank 4 higher than 5:
- Woodsboro felt more 'alive' and like a real place in 4. (I know covid is to blame, but still.)
- Kirby's house was a better 3rd act setting than a not-so-original revisit to Stu's house. They took more advantage of the entire house and garden in 4.
- Jill's motives were stronger(/campier) than Amber's and Richie's.
- In 5, I wasn't into Melissa's character/performance. Also, the Billy hallucinations felt out of place.

Scream 3 is a true outlier. Sometimes my ranking goes like this: 1, 2, 4, 5, 3. Sometimes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

As @4Roses once pointed out…

elyc-1-gif.32219

I hate it nn. It looks terrible, the characterisation is off, Gale is reduced to bad comedy (and Marley Shelton is no sparring partner compared to Parker Posey) before sitting out half the film, David Arquette spends a solid 30 minutes driving down the same 20m stretch of road in Woodsboro, Mary McDonnell doesn’t know what film she’s in, Sidney is not serving fashion and I don’t buy into her self-help Hooked by Terror: the Julie James Story author era at all.

I take Kirby and a cute motive and run.

I sat my huasvad down to watch all 5 movies recently and he said 4 is by far the worst. He laughed his way through 3 as expected. Even the sillier moments in 3 just feel more lively than 4.

I wouldn't say Jill's motives were any better/stronger than Amber and Ritchie. Both have a similar theme of the power of fame/infamy and the corruption of people by press and social media etc. Jill just fails to sell the motive without just seeming whiny and embarrassing. I spent most of the final act of 4 hiding behind my hands not out of fear but just sheer embarrassment at what I was seeing. Billy and Stu pulled off the "hurting ourselves to look like victims" much better and did it with an air of menace. Jill looks like she's having a tantrum after not getting the right kind of phone for Christmas.

The delivery man with our food ringing the doorbell just as Mother Mosaic and I were deeply engrossed in Scream this afternoon might have knocked a good 5 years off our lives.
I forgot how many great lines Gale has in the first movie.
"If I'm right about this, I could save A man's life. do you know what that would do for my book sales?"
"Look, Kenny, I know you're about fifty pounds overweight, but when I say hurry, please interpret that as, MOVE YOUR FAT TUB OF LARD ASS, NOW!"
"Oh, God, Kenny. I'm sorry, but get off my fucking windshield!"
"Guess I remembered the safety that time you bastard."

All iconic.

He/him
I love that we'll never ever agree on Scream 3's value, but we all agree that, even at its worst, Scream is just the one in the slasher genre. We're truly spoiled that the quality is still there after this long. Thinking about most other horror series, and the wheels had well and truly come off by the 6th entry. Some long before that.

So jealous of you all getting to see it early this week. Friday can't come soon enough for me.

Watching the cast of Scream 3 desperately trying to ham it up and make reading print-outs from a fax machine seem exciting will forever be the low point of the series.
I thought that sequence was one of the best in the entire franchise lol. I'm also a La Toya Jackson fan, so I know my opinion counts for nothing, but I do agree that we are very lucky as Scream fans.

I don't consider the third film, so if they do a decent I Know What You Did Last Summer reboot, I'll include that in the list of consistent slasher franchises. When I think about Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th and Halloween in particular, the ups and downs are frustrating because they're all easy to avoid. I still don't understand how some of the films in those series got greenlit. The day that happens to Scream will be a sad day.