The Simpsons (I just think they're neat!) | Page 15 | The Popjustice Forum

The Simpsons (I just think they're neat!)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by SpanishEyes, Oct 27, 2010.

1. You had me panicked for a second here, I saw the thread had updated and honestly assumed a cast member had died because why else would anyone be talking about The Simpsons anymore, which is sad, really.

Fire Al Jean.

2. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

I recommend this excellent and informative article about the creation of the iconic Stop the Planet of the Apes. I Want to Get Off! musical from "A Fish Called Selma".
    And here is the clip itself.

Phil Hartman wanted to do a live action Troy McClure movie. Imagine. That would have been the only foray into live action that would have worked for The Simpsons.

JMRGBY, robots need oil and LPMA like this.
  3. There's a bit of controversy surrounding The Simpsons right now, in regards to Apu.

Andrew.L likes this.
  4. Apu has always been represented as a hard-working, friendly family man who is beloved by the vast majority of residents in the town. Throughout the entire show, Apu has never been demonised, made fun of or looked down upon in any way by the other characters due to the colour of his skin.

I thought The Simpsons response was what this 'debate' deserved. Good on them for sticking up for their character that they crafted and not siding with the faux-outraged crowd this comedian has got riled up.

Furthermore, every single character on this show is a stereotype in some way, and a lot of them are worse stereotypes than Apu. Fat Tony, Chief Wiggum, Mr Burns, Smithers, Groundskeeper Willie, Homer, Barney, Ned Flanders...I could go on. They're all stereotypes, but The Simpsons plays into it with humour, not hate. As a gay Scot, am I supposed to be outraged by the portrayals of Smithers and Willie?

The Simpsons is probably going to be wrapping up next year, after their 30th season, which I can imagine is the plan all along. They're not going to change a character this far along because the SJW's can type loudly. It is a CARTOON, folks.

Mill., Espeon, LPT and 10 others like this.
  5. I'm double posting, but i need to say this. I watched the Cape Feare episode tonight and it deserves its place in television history as one of the best comedy episodes ever. What a phonomenal episode. Hilarious throughout, and it makes me sad for what The Simpsons has become. If its true that it will be ending next season, i look forward to it. This is a show that will ALWAYS maintain its legacy despite its dip in quality. Few few shows survive the original media hate era, but this one did. A couple times. The finest animated show around, 30 years on.

6. I love that episode! I cry laughing every time.

7. Rather than just stop, maybe they should make fewer episodes but higher quality (script-wise, I'm assuming it's still a bit of a wreck given that I haven't seen a new episode in about five years) or take a few years off to allow new ideas to ferment?

The episode where Lisa finds out Jebidiah Springfield was a fraud is amazing; Kamp Krusty; the one with Kidz Newz ("The Mattel & Mars Bar Quick Energy Choc-Bot Hour!"); Homer's Phobia; Marge as a cop... In its prime it was untouchable.

blissteria and Andy French like this.
  8. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

I watch the occasional new episode and there are usually a few gems every season but many are duds. I agree that shorter seasons (perhaps a miniseries of episodes loosely linked together) would be a good idea. The Simpsons has covered practically every facet of modern human life over the years (a reason the show remains so memeable) so a change of format would allow them to diversify further.

With 8-10 episodes to work with i reckon the writing would improve immensely. Give me that Springfield-set riff on Stranger Things I crave.

9. I loooove The Simpsons, even the latest episodes. They’re better than the first 2 seasons.

10. Stopping work and making small talk with someone because you notice the TV in the room had Homer Goes To College on it...

Sad but true fact about me.. I don’t think all my education over the years can be topped by all The Simpsons quotes and episode references I have in my head

Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  11. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

Everyone in my family has somehow picked up the "I don't know" mm-mm-mm? noise that everyone in The Simpsons does.

SecretSatisfaction likes this.
  12. This moment makes me howl.

"NOBODY LIKES MILHOUSE!!"

13. Stupid, sexy Flanders!! is one of the best things that's ever happened.

14. The Simpsons has been renewed for seasons 31 & 32, taking it to over 700 episodes.

Robbietoxic likes this.
  15. Stophesalreadydead.mp4

moorje likes this.
  16. I remember thinking they’d stop after the 25th season, then the 30th...at this point I’m just gonna assume The Simpsons will go until the heat death of the universe.

It’s weird that I can’t imagine a television landscape without the show and still love its classic run dearly, yet I also think it probably should have ended at least fifteen years ago. FXX’s Every Simpsons Ever marathon really hammers home the considerable gulf in quality between the “prime” episodes and the more recent seasons - it’s not even really bad these days, just...mediocre. Which is almost worse.

Mr Blonde likes this.
  17. I suspect they are aiming for 1000 episodes.

18. The second movie should ideally be the end.

19. This has become a huge meme in Argentina.

20. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

I liked the episode where Krusty joined the circus. Probably the first modern one I've outright enjoyed in years.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.