The Simpsons (I just think they're neat!) | Page 19 | The Popjustice Forum

The Simpsons (I just think they're neat!)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by SpanishEyes, Oct 27, 2010.

1. The pre-HD stuff is going to be in cropped 16:9 rather than 4:3, I bet you any money. Hard pass.

thequinntessential likes this.
  2. I’m obviously watching all of the first ten seasons again on Disney+ now that we have it in the U.K.

I know that the series really “hit its stride” in season 4, but I still love the first three. Season 1 and 2 had some really emotionally heavy moments that they haven’t often matched or attempted to replicate since, and I think they really have their place. I’d also forgotten how angry Homer was throughout Season 3.

3. The cast had their 700th table read yesterday.

4. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Soooooo I am like knee-deep in season 21 on Disney +, but this is one of the references that took. me. out. Arby's is not...like McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, etc, none of that when it comes to fast-food places. Arby's has roast beef/cheddar sandwiches, they're not known for their fries or any change on their menu..like when people think of quick, cheap-ass food, they're not clamoring for a roast beef (puke) sandwich on a sesame bun from the drive-thru. It's like Amish food - heavy, Midwestern, and traditional (my hometown back in Ohio even opened an Amish fast food restaurant - the same state where Arby's originated...just like Wendy's - with drive-thru service itself). Even here in NYC, there are few Arby's that I've ever seen, and anytime someone mentions one, people often respond "now who the fuck gets hungry and thinks of...Arby's?"

The kii being the show apparently mentions it more than once (!!!), which I caught when watching, so my NYC friends I suppose aren't wrong for their approach:

blissteria, Chris Lala and Hudweiser like this.
  5. I remember this reference too and despite living there for a decade don’t ever recall seeing an Arby’s.

Shoney’s was where it’s at. Well, in the late 80s anyway.

Mr.Arroz likes this.
  6. kii

7. I need to do a rewatch of this next (Seasons 1-10 or so).

I still prefer the early seasons of the show, animation wise, to where it went in Seasons 8 or so onwards. Especially the very first episode with Mrs Botz. Some Enchanted Evening. Everything is so lively and energetic. It slowly lost all of that as time went on as the producers hated that episode the most. The new intro alone is an insult to animation.

8. Conversely, I can't deal with the animation in the first two seasons at all. I don't set the clock back any further than Season 3.

Also:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  9. I try and look past the season 1 animation, especially when I started my Disney+ Simpsons marathon last year as it’s supposedly remastered (I got to season 8, I’m picking it up again this week).
    It’s the undeveloped elements of the show that distract me the most, like Smithers palette changing episode to episode, Nelson having 3 Ha’s and just being downright vicious, Homer being too serious and embarrassed by his family, etc, etc, don’t get me wrong, there are some great moments, the Christmas episode is a classic, but yeah, as a whole it’s a bit of a chore to get through.
    Season 2 is a vast improvement, I really don’t mind the animation on that season, the stories were great, I’d say season 4/5 is when it was looking more refined.

10. I find the animation of the early seasons charming in spite of its faults. But the first season is one of my favourites so I can overlook anything!

LPT, 4Roses, GodsAndMonsters and 3 others like this.
  11. The first season gave us so much great animation though. It has some actual life to it that sometimes suffers from the lack of perfection that has ultimately ruined the show for me. Seeing characters off-model or not the right color makes sense due to how much it would cost to get the thing redone by the overseas animation studio. I will say, the Tracey Ullman shorts were absolutely hideous and not very fun or funny.

12. I'm not a huge fan of Season 1 or parts of Season 2 and their moral of the week style episodes.

13. This thread inspired me to return to my rewatch. I'm only on season two, but whew. "You are Lisa Simpson," followed by Homer clumsily cheering Lisa up after her first heartbreak while Pachelbel's Canon plays on her music box in the background. Season 32 could never.

Rose-Coloured Boy and VitaminBee like this.
  14. One thing the earlier episodes of The Simpsons done so well that no other animated show got right (minus a few exceptions) were the emotional episodes. Do It For Her in And Maggie Makes Three & the credit scene of Mother Simpson are devastatingly great, but I think The Way We Was really shows the heart that made The Simpsons stand out from everything else on television.

“When you stop this car, I’m gonna hug you, and kiss you, and I’ll never be able to let you go.”

*flash forward to present day*

“And I never have.”

15. I have covid so I’ve been in bed binging old Simpsons episodes and I absolutely bawled at the end of Mother Simpson. I hadn’t seen it since I was a kid and I think I didn’t really get the emotional impact of the scene back then. It’s so beautifully done and proof that when The Simpsons was at its peak, it was literally untouchable.

DoggySwami likes this.
  16. I was starting to think an announcement about the show ending was imminent because of how quickly the other animated shows on Fox had been renewed compared to this.

17. That's crazy. It'll bring them up to 750 episodes and because of holdovers it basically guarantees a 35th season. 35!!!

And I still think we're probably guaranteed The Simpsons Movie 2 once the show itself is over. The franchise could still be active in 2027, 40 years after Matt first drew The Simpsons. Whew.

ratedr and Robbietoxic like this.
  18. Imagine writing the FINAL ever episode of ‘The Simpsons’.

Where do you even start?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.