THE SO+Y 2017: ◈⟐ THOT 100 ◈⟐ #38 // #37 | Page 40 | The Popjustice Forum

THE SO+Y 2017: ◈⟐ THOT 100 ◈⟐ #38 // #37

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Squashua, Dec 4, 2017.

?

How many songs should make the SO+Y Final?

Poll closed Dec 16, 2017.
  1. Let's make it a Top 100.

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Same as last year - 60 songs.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. 80 sounds like a reasonable extension.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I AM APPALLED!!!!!!!! WHY ARE MY HIGH SCORING SONGS LEAVING SO EARLY??

Oh wait ... I gave pretty much everything a high score ... never mind carry on.

2. When it sticks:
    [​IMG]

When it don't stick (aka. NinaNO after the first 6 listens):
    [​IMG]
    It just didn't stick...

(Also my commentary is a mess since I wrote most of it at 3am)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Remorque, Aries, Serg. and 7 others like this.
  3. Did I just see I Got Love hate.

4. You mean Taeyeon's iconic pre-release 'I Got Hate', right?
    [​IMG]

(Before yall attack me, I really like the song)

I just wanted an excuse to use this gif

5. WE HAVE A LOOOOONG WAY TO GO YET
    NATHUNNIE....

[​IMG]

TRASH FOR IT 10s:
    Eliminathan // @RUNAWAY

BEIGE ABOUT IT 4 to 5s:
    @Alouder98 // Ceir // Empty Shoebox
    GeiPanda // Monkey0 // @Salami
    Sanctuary // @Serg. // Vikeyeol

STRAIGHT UP ILJINS:
    3 - EccentricSimply // @karmarisma

JJ Project.

Who is she?

Where did they come from?

Where did you find her?

Did anyone realise they had even released anything?

[​IMG]

No the JJ Project is not what I've decided to call my 2018 Get-My-Life-Back-On-Track plan, it is in fact a duo consisting of two (v. cute - are they problematique?) members of GOT7 doing their own thang whilst GOT7 brainstorm how they're next going to show flight plan terminology into their album titles and await Jackson's return after stomping the mainland with S₩AG & being a bit of an ignoramus.

JB and Jinyoung, for they are the Js in question, actually debuted as a sub-unit long before GOT7 became a thing - all the way back in 2012 when the forum was merely a hot pink no man's land.

Let's take a gander at it shall we?

IF YOU'RE UNDERAGE BUT LIKE WEARING SPIKY DOG COLLARS

[​IMG]

IF YOU'VE ONLY PARTIALLY DYED YOUR HAIR PJ PINK

[​IMG]

IF YOU'VE GOT A CARRIER BAG STUCK IN BETWEEN YOUR BIN-BAG TROUSER LEGS

[​IMG]

IF YOU CAN'T DECIDE WHAT GENRE YOU WANT TO DO

[​IMG]

I don't really know much about them or GOT7 in all honesty, in part because most of GOT7's releases have been kinda trash (minus the glorious If You Do) and Monsta X does their schtick better anyway. What I will say is this song, whilst not massively impactful, is also not bad in the slightest. Maybe just a bit too low-key for the rate? It definitely has a whiff of Chainsmokers' impacT about the sound but is 1000000x better than anything those twatosauruses could conjure up. The hint of strings or filtered guitars throughout add a really airy feel to the sound and I think the vocals / vocal harmonies are quite nice. It's more a shame it doesn't offer anything massively different across the tracks length - maybe a big guitar solo or go full string orchestra with it? I dunno.

The lyrics are sweet, and kinda empowering, even if the rather more meandering pace of proceedings might suggest the opposite. Yeah, I like this and with the Icarus imagery could have made for a nice visual. Oh well - sorry Nathunnie, I don't really have much more to bring to the table with this one.

IF YOU'RE READY TO MOVE ON

[​IMG]

◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐

Tell me a tale of wax and wings and burning shxt to the ground all ye who enter this hallowed tome.

[​IMG]

First to cross the threshhold and put a praise on it is St. ThighHighs and her gilded Boots of Salvation (Waltz Acapella ver.): "Who doesn’t love a Greek tragedy inspired song. The lyrics are a bit treacly, and this kinda sounds like a Christian song, but I can get into a Saved moment. They both sound really good and I like the chorus. It’s inoffensive and nice, but it’s not lighting me up like so many other songs in this rate." Christian pop - in my Kpop? Stacie Orrico is shooketh. Oh wait - where did all the comments go? It seems the populace is in a state of widespread amnesia:

Empty Shoebox - This one just doesn't get going for me. I've listened to it a couple of times and I just can't tell you how it goes.

GeiPanda - I don’t remember anything about this, even after listening twenty times.

karmarisma - I didn't manage to listen the whole way through, it was a bit snoozy for me. I liked the trancey vibe they tried to convey.

Serg. - It's a bit boring and I'd never listen to on my own.

Warning: Icarus may induce sleep, confusion and sentimentality. Should only be consumed with friends.

[​IMG]
    (Where's the Sean Cody logo when you need it?)

Unlike whatever was happening in that last gif, there were voters with more pointed opinions as to why this song has landed so far down the pile. Sanctuary accurately narrating my life plan: "This whole project could have been much more interesting and fun than it turned out to be." I know sis, tell me about it. Monkey0 wanted more demigorgons in this tale: "For an empowering anthem it really lacks energy and character. There are so much stronger songs on the album.", EccentricSimply basically gives an Amazon review for Dedalus' wings plan: "I don't... get it? I'm sure this is probably a pretty good song for whoever enjoys this type of sound, but it's just not strong enough to pull me into appreciating it. The actual music drowns out their vocals and it doesn't really go anywhere. It has a pretty predictable and lowkey drop, but it's overall the same thing start to finish. It had the potential of being a beautiful song, but like I said, it's just too predictable and same-y." and Ceir compares oranges to orange juice: "It’s a weaker version of Don’t Wanna Cry/ Shine Forever…"

Did someone say DON'T WANNA SHINE FOREVER?

Ok but this kinda knocks?

[​IMG][​IMG]

As per all the songs in this rate, there were still people who enjoyed it despite flying too close to the flames of negativity elsewhere. D is for Danger! is unusually unmisandrist (a nice flute does it for him fellas): "I like the flute sample during the chorus." Of course Slice of Life stans cute boys, aren't they a bit old for you though darling dungeon dweller?: "The JJ Project comeback album is one of the most underrated of 2017 and it's a shame. Why do we abandon talent just like that? I think I still prefer the single over Icarus but this is also really good. Jinyoung's vocals have improved so much and Problematic Daddy JB's vocals remain better than Youngjae's. I'm not sorry." I KNEW ONE OF THEM WOULD BE PROBLEMATIQUE FFS. Turning back to ThighHighs' religious miracle moment, RUNAWAY has seen the light: "god whoever picked this thank you because I’m in love." And well you best get the ring ready (ahem) because Eliminathan is your own personal Jesus, Joseph and Mary (if ya nasty): "This is in my top 5 songs of the year for sure, I wasn't expecting much from a JJ Project comeback after Bounce but my ult bias really did THAT. The whole EP is immaculate, but this song in particular with the harmonies and the falsettos during the chorus are beautiful. The lyrics and theme of the song being based on Icarus and them working hard to achieve their dreams really can inspire anyone. I mean Jinyoung doesn't have writing credits on this song but still saranghae oppa zaddy. I couldn't give this song the 11 though because there's another two songs that are actually contenders that I should give it to."

JJ Project, in the SO+Y rate
    You dared to face the sun
    But your low-key vibe crashed and burned.

I'm sorry my dears but....

*life goes on for everyone as if nothing happened*

[​IMG]

6. @eliminathan oppa I'M SO SORRY. THESE HEATHENS DON'T APPRECIATE JJ PROJECT TALENT WHEN THEY SEE IT.

Watch my Super Trash get eliminated next.

[​IMG]

7. [​IMG]

Let me just say that good sisses @eccentricsimply and @karmarisma better be glad they aren't part of the slasher thread. I still maintain that I am not one of the spies though.

[​IMG]

I mean I was kind of expecting it to get low scores but I still feel my weave being snatched because if you look at it objectively, Icarus is the lowest ranking non-meme entry.

8. It's because we all know the best and most problematique J in Got7 is the one and only RAP GOD EXTRAORDINAIRE not Michael Jackson.

And if his superhit yolo sweg lite rap 2017 single doesn't convince you otherwise, then I have nothing to say (JJ Project flew to close to Jackson's mixtape and they got burned):

9. [​IMG]

10. Ok but Jinyoung is the least problematic cause he didn't paint himself black for an ad campaign or rock dreadlocks for Pepsi like a certain other J. And he also loves his male fans and encourages them to come out to their events. Queen of the gays.

Anyone who gave JJ Project a bad score needs to stop speaking over queer voices.

[​IMG]

11. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What kind of backwards ass world has me wanting to be Jackson.

[​IMG]

12. [​IMG]

Aries, PopZeitgeist, Monkey0 and 9 others like this.
  13. My women loving female ass refuses to accept this. And refuses to accept JJ Project as well.

14. I deducted points for them reading Catcher in the Rye.

15. Y'all stay SLEEPIN on JJ Project and I'll be the one sleeping with them

[​IMG] Not JB though

Either way, it's over with. If my 11 isn't in the top 20 though I'm going to be shook.

16. If I was held at gun point and was told I could only choose ONE of the boys from JJ Project ...... I'd probs be dead. Although I would sleep with JB first.

17. I did give Icarus only 5 points and I stand by it because that song doesn't do anything for me.

[​IMG]

On JJ Project, clearly Jinyoung is the guy you introduce to your parents while JB is a side piece. Jackson is dark secret who spits in your mouth and chokes you while y'all doing the nasty.

[​IMG]

18. So, you and I are fighting over Jackson then.

karmarisma likes this.
  19. He

He

Let's fight then.

karmarisma, Monkey0 and Ceir like this.
  20. I understand, people have different tastes when it comes to music.

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.