THE SO+Y 2017: ◈⟐ THOT 100 ◈⟐ #38 // #37 | Page 51 | The Popjustice Forum

THE SO+Y 2017: ◈⟐ THOT 100 ◈⟐ #38 // #37

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Squashua, Dec 4, 2017.

?

How many songs should make the SO+Y Final?

Poll closed Dec 16, 2017.
  1. Let's make it a Top 100.

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Same as last year - 60 songs.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. 80 sounds like a reasonable extension.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. When you’re a Gain anti but the only person to give ha a 10 so you look like a Stan.

[​IMG]

I promise I went through my list 5 times and lowered the scores the songs more and more each time. Last year was just bop filled (even if all the true bops got clocked during the brackets)

2. He

He

Aw, that a great surprise in the playlist, to he honest.

Squashua likes this.
  3. It should be Top 50 but y'all made a choice.

Squashua and Kuhleezi like this.
  4. My whole experience in gyms.

Jk what's a gym

digitalkaiser, Aries, RUNAWAY and 8 others like this.

5. A MOMENT'S SILENCE PLEASE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TRASH FOR IT 10s:
    Eliminathan // @GeiPanda // RUNAWAY
    @send photo

BEIGE ABOUT IT 4 to 5s:
    Aries // EccentricSimply // PopZeitgeist
    Sanctuary // @vikeyeol

STRAIGHT UP ILJINS:
    3 - Salami

Another day, another low-key solo unnie falls to the wayside. Mute is one of but many good album tracks on the rather flawless Hyori collection BLACK which we'll have more time to talk about whenever you guys deem its title track's time is up. As such, I don't have a whole load to discuss with this one.

Want another origin story? Guess where I first heard this:

[​IMG]

Yup. As irony would have it, I decided that listening to a song called Mute in a library would be an appropriate endeavor. It was whilst giving the whole of Black a spin and reading something completely irrelevant (The Island of Dr Moreau i think?) and, honestly, this was one of the highlights for me along with the two singles and White Snake's sex dungeon basement electronics. There's a real gentleness in the verses yet weight behind proceedings, especially as the song progresses, and I think it does a great job of straddling a Lana Del Rey during Paradise era combo of swirling strings and acoustic guitar whilst adding a little drop to keep it in the modern bracket.

[​IMG]

So honestly I was surprised to see the backlash. Maybe it's a 'you-have-to-listen-to-it-in-the-context-of-the-album' kind of affair? I'm not sure, I have no problems with the drop (as it's still coming from an actual instrument rather than a Chainsmokers' demo cast-off) and Hyori's ad-libbing over the top and if you made it to the final 1/3 you really would've been rewarded by a rousingly plaintive ending crescendo. Maybe the whole mute angle is why there's very little words in the chorus? Post-verbal Queen e.t.c. Actually the lyrics are rather beautiful about the fear of losing one's self in anxiety and hoping you can push through but, as always about K-Pop, you probably wouldn't have got that without hunting down the lyrics yourself. Either way, among all these massive singles it really stood no chance but taken in its own context, it's a lovely snappy mini-sand storm of an album cut and it's nice to see it feature here, how ever brief its stay was.

What does she care anyway?
    She's happily doing pilates in her Jeju zen garden utopia completely nonplussed at us all.

[​IMG]

◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐

Silence is golden. Don't speak unless you have something nice to say. There's plenty of sayings floating about for keeping it schtum but did y'all listen to any of them?

[​IMG]

These two get to come first because their commentaries don't really critique anything or fit in with the other comments. Ceir sounds like he's about to break off an engagement: "Hyori, I love you, but this goes nowhere." Eek. I'll cancel my flower girl dress. Empty Shoebox chimes in on this scandal with an evaluation on Ceiryori's tryst: "Not feeling anything strong here at all. Sorry." They have pills for that kind of thing honest. Let's somewhat silently handle the main points of discussion:

[​IMG]

Slice of Life: I'm gonna be honest. I was so ready to stan because that first verse sent shivers down my spine. It's that good. But that non-chorus was such a turn-off. Still this is pretty evocative and I love that.

EccentricSimply: Ah, this song had potential to be more or less pleasant wasn’t for that… drop? Is that even considered a drop? I don’t know, man, it just doesn’t offer much overall. It sounds like a pretty disposable b-side but she sounds good, so have some points.

Salami: Not enough going on in it for me. It seemed to build to something then just falls a bit flat where a big chorus should be.

McQueer: Wait I’m screaming…did the producer decide to use filtered strings in place of high pitched synths in the drop?? Incredible. Too bad the song as a whole isn’t.

ThighHighs: “My hearts and love and hope and cry” is… something. This is actually really nice and melancholic but the complete waste of a chorus just won’t do. (SQSH: You got it in one! You've just earned your Understanding Hyori's Diction badge kiddo)

and contrary to popular belief i'm not the only one who enjoys the breakdown, thanks for being contrary karmarisma: The break down in this song really pushes the song through.

[​IMG]

Serg.- Her voice reminded me of Hyoyeon, other than that the beat drop is completely unnecessary. (SQSH: @ohnostalgia - thoughts?)

Aries: I realise no one listens to Lee Hyori for her vocal prowess but I can't help feel that a better singer could provide the song with some life (well, that and an actual chorus).

[​IMG]

He: Classy queen.

Monkey0: Perfectly fine, modern pop song.

RUNAWAY: god she delivered. Black is one of the best albums of the year, and this track is BEAUTIFUL.

Cotton Park: This one of those songs that has should have a disclaimer. "This goes somewhere. Your patience will be rewarded." (SQSH: I love your wise Oppa moments, just putting it out there).

Eliminathan: I was too busy listening to Seoul, White Snake and Black on repeat I didn't even know this song existed. Now I need to go back and check the rest of the damn album thanks a lot. (SQSH: You've got the main ones honestly. I'd stick with those).

GeiPanda: I Super-Trashed this because I doubt this song would be on anyone’s radar otherwise. This makes me sleepy in the best possible way - like, I can imagine leaning and falling asleep on your loved one’s shoulder whilst listening to this. And your partner just lets you lie there because he/she loves you so much. Ok, end of my corny observations. The no-word chorus works here because of the great instrumental and the atmosphere it creates. No offence to Hyori, but I often dream about another singer who has more um… range (Taeyeon or Qri) tackling the chorus. That would be outstanding. (SQSH: But why are you seducing me with dreamy couple fantasies GP? WHY? *sobs*)

HYORI HEARING QRISUS IS A BETTER VOCALIST THAN HER:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  6. [​IMG]

Also me guessing 5 supertrash submitters wrong so far is giving me Escape from YG Dungeon teas ddd.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  7. Dddddd thanks for pointing this out - the FPU (Fierce Plastic Unnies) has traced the Super-Trash to its source and can confirm GeiPanda is indeed the trashmistress of plenty. Edited the photo x
    [​IMG]

8. [​IMG]

I think Hyori is a good vocalist too.

9. I finally turned around to EXID but I just find both Gain and Lee Hyori kind of boring, as far as K-PJ faves go.

10. Hyori & Ga-in out back to back.

[​IMG]

11. There's only place for one Queen (not that Gain was ever one dd) in this rate...
    [​IMG]

12. But Gashina will be the highest solo female song, sis.

[​IMG]

13. nn not me forgetting about Gashina. Sunmi is a goddess though, not a queen xx

Island, Kuhleezi, send photo and 8 others like this.
  14. [​IMG]

15. This means Eclipse won't win, right? Great!

Island, Kuhleezi, ryan_riot92 and 8 others like this.
  16. [​IMG]

Remorque, Island, Kuhleezi and 10 others like this.
  17. Shocked at Eclipse shade, but delighted by Gashina support.

[​IMG]

Island, vikeyeol, Aries and 9 others like this.
  18. The true colors WILL show when we get to Eclipse vs Gashina top 2 final showdown.

[​IMG]

19. Me picking a side when we are forced into a Red Flavor VS Peek-A-Boo Top 2 due to excessive trolling in the votes.

[​IMG]

Remorque, Island, Kuhleezi and 9 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.