THE SO+Y 2017: ◈⟐ THOT 100 ◈⟐ #38 // #37 | Page 58 | The Popjustice Forum

THE SO+Y 2017: ◈⟐ THOT 100 ◈⟐ #38 // #37

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Squashua, Dec 4, 2017.

?

How many songs should make the SO+Y Final?

Poll closed Dec 16, 2017.
  1. Let's make it a Top 100.

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Same as last year - 60 songs.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. 80 sounds like a reasonable extension.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BEFORE MEOW?

Slice of Life likes this.
  2. I Like It deserved to be in the top 20 just for the “shake it move your hips” parts. I feel bad that I only rated it a 7.5 at the time of voting.
    Sis. Meow Meow is CLC’s second best track.

3. Why does this subforum hate me?

4. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  5. Ok turns out there may be reasons why this subforum hates me. Because I refuse to conform!!!

6. IT WAS MOTHER'S DAY IN THE UK YESTERDAY
    (I know, we do it at a different time to basically everywhere else in the world but still)

AND SPEAKING OF MOTHERS,

@Slice of Life COME COLLECT YOUR CHILDREN

[​IMG]

TRASH FOR IT 10s:
    @Ceir // Junglefish // Monkey0
    Slice of Life

BEIGE ABOUT IT 4 to 5s:
    Alouder98 // @Empty Shoebox // GeiPanda
    Salami // Serg.

STRAIGHT UP ILJINS:
    [​IMG]

And after all that teasing, yes Slicey, it really is time for your Super Trash to exit the building out of one of the many glowing doors in the MV for this intriguing slow jam embedded in the fold of this competition. In all honesty I won't have to much to write about this one as, until I read the commentary, I had no idea who these guys with the highly unoriginal sub-unit name were, where they came from or if they'd ever comeback again (which, judging by recent statements by them and their company, is highly unlikely).

But first, credit where credit's due - you see that Jimin gif up top which means...

[​IMG]

Hurrah for no one absolutely hating this - that's an achievement in itself with this pack of opinionated ahjummas young 'uns.

In all fairness I'm kinda surprised both my the quality of the song but also how much of a curveball it is in the grand field of songs on offer in the SO+Y. The r'n'b switch-n-bait of the changing tempos and surging intensity is all very K-Indiejustice friendly to the point where, if it wasn't for the video, i'd have totally believed it was an offshoot from one of the Club Eskimo members albeit a very young prepubescent member Dddd. Then your video is very 'golden era' boyband in its series of rooms we-majored-in-interior-design aesthetic and lighting trickery and part of me wonders if our grand Overlorde @Slice of Life is more interested in this track because of ha predilection for collecting baby-faced maknaes as if he's the fabulous k-pop equivalent of the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. This cross-section of aesthetic boy-pop, indie friendly production and a kinda cute concept as far as the LongShi goes is a baffling mix and kinda works? I haven't come back to this much but I do appreciate its difference to most boy debuts for that age range.

The boys will be clocking the haterzzz like:

[​IMG]

BUT THEN I READ @vikeyeol 's COMMENTARY:

I tried looking for said evidence of Gay Icon gay bar paparazzi photos but have they been conveniently wiped from the surface? Can 13 year olds even enter gay bars in SK? Was it @Slice of Life and @send photo making out in an attempt at reconciliation in the background of the photo? Can we ship Holland & Longguo into LongLand? Oh well, have a cute gif that dances nonchalantly around the speculation whilst we wait for responses....

[​IMG]

◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐

the.naysayers.squad

[​IMG]

Empty Shoebox: More men just doing nothing for me. Just doesn't 'click'

Serg.: I expected the song to go somewhere further with the chorus but it was disappointing.

GeiPanda: Just not engaging me at all.

the.halfway.haus

[​IMG]

Salami: I’m being generous because I quite liked the choreography, the song isn’t anything special.

the.parental.figures

[​IMG]

EccentricSimply: I was… ready to write it off, but this kinda bops a bit, so I’l admit it’s pretty good.

Cotton Park: I'm still wondering why Choon Entertainment didn't come up with a name that fits on a license plate for this talented duo. [SQSH: Shilong? GuoDuo? Shi Shi Guovayne?]

He: This is a bit SHINee isn’t it? Infused with indie leaning flavor. It’s sexy but also boppable.

Karmarisma: This has @Slice of Life written all over it (forgive me if I'm wrong). I'm glad someone recognised the excellence that was this duo and this sultry little electronic number. Also I love Shihyun. [SQSH: Slicey wishes he could be all over it]

ThighHighs: I watched like, 6 episodes of Broduce 101, but I can’t say I remember these two from the show. However, this song is a JAM. [SQSH: Me neither sis, although I only watched 2 episodes so... flop @ me]

Eliminathan: All of the produce 101 rejects made fantastic songs this year that are on par with or better than Energetic.

Monkey0: Verses giving me slow jam and chorus then chorus comes with a bass punch. This is delicious. Slick, mature, effortlessly sexy. They have great command of their voices. Proof that idol survival shows can bring amazing music.

Ceir: That bass, when the cymbal tick in the drum loop kicks in I get excited for that electro-bop of a chorus to hit. I love how relaxed the entire song is, even with the instrumental wavering between an almost house-inspired chorus and a RnB-esque set of verses.

Slice of Life: UGH MY PERFECT SUPER TRASH!!! I'm so sorry I couldn't award you my 11. I will forever make it up to you. This is just too good. The fact that this never appeared in the KPJC (not even in the Bubbling Under Chart ddddd) is a pop injustice of epic proportions. At first I wasn't sure about the vocals because let's admit it, these boys doesn't really have the voices for RnB. But they just make it work. I'm completely smitten. AND THAT RICH, LUXURIOUS PRODUCTION... LORDT!!!!!!! As I've said on Instagram, TVXQ! better snatch this and re-release it as their comeback single in Korea. This is too good to flop. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH I STAN SO MUCH HJALP.

Slicey during his entertainment company meetings / kindergarten assemblies:
    [​IMG]

7. [​IMG]

I TRUSTED YOU, HEAUXS.

No but seriously, I'm super shocked and amazed and grateful that this reached a lofty position of 77. I was honestly just praying that this won't be part of the bottom 10 dddddddd.

Thank you all for giving my sons Longguo (Yongguk) and Shihyun a chance. Shoutout to my archnemecyst @junglefish for giving this a pity 10. I know I can trust you. xoxo

Also check out their iconic single album.

Aries, vikeyeol, karmarisma and 13 others like this.
  8. ddd I was about to say, at first I only gave this a 10 because @Slice of Life confided in me that it was her 11 (oop), but I actually really enjoy it.
    Also I'm gonna need @vikeyeol to come through with the gay club receipts.

Aries, vikeyeol, karmarisma and 10 others like this.
  9. He

He

So where are the gay bar pictures?

10. I remember liking The.The.The but when I played it again today I wasn't stanning as much.

[​IMG]

11. [​IMG]

DELETE YOURSELF

12. @Kuhleezi forcing y'all to give Wee Woo 10s

[​IMG]

Aries, vikeyeol, ohnostalgia and 7 others like this.
  13. Wait I thought Wee Woo was already out ddd.

14. Aries, vikeyeol, send photo and 7 others like this.
  15. [​IMG]
    you didn't say anything about KPJ binch.

16. I didn't even give it a 10 ddddddddd

I love me some collective internalized shaming.

17. He

He

That photo is underwhelming... boys are always all over each other in Korea et al. I was expecting some harnesses and darker lighting.

Aries, vikeyeol, Squashua and 2 others like this.
  18. Wee Woo is the only good Pristin song lets go for top 50 my child

vikeyeol, Squashua and Kuhleezi like this.

19. WELL

NOT YET.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TRASH FOR IT 10s:
    @Ceir // Cotton Park // Eliminathan
    Island // @RUNAWAY

BEIGE ABOUT IT 4 to 5s:
    Alouder98 // Gintoki // Monkey0
    Salami // @send photo

STRAIGHT UP ILJINS:
    [​IMG]

Strike 2 for RV and their former strangehold on the competition as this deep cut from Perfect Velvet falls shy of its namesake by 2.63 points and lands at the very top of the bottom Quartile of this THOT 100. They're now down to six songs whereas their former rivals from Beige Class remain with a whopping 10 tracks still in the running.

A.K.A. RV & LOONA still have around 20% of the songs in the Top 75.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So to Perfect 10 itself which is easily in my top 3 of the Perfect Velvet full length even if it's probably a bit too low-key for many of our voters to really root for after a single passing listen. There's no MV to bolster it (but ho LAWD, could you imagine what we might have got? Gimme that First Love pole-dancing seductress visual that I love), it doesn't really lend itself to live music show performances in the way they obviously felt Look did and it's plonked right towards the end of the album after My Second Date & Attaboy's more uptempo numbers

BUT

and it's an adequate sized but that hasn't received any complaints ahem

BUT

WHAT A SAUCY, HOT SEDUCTOJAM THIS IS.

[​IMG]

Phew, if there was ever a Red Velvet song to get down & dirty to in some kind of 80's softcore VHS-filtered haze then this would be it. It really just unfurls in breathy coos, those honey-dipped harmonies RV were serving all album campaign and those repeated "ten ten ten" in the post-chorus are just begging to be accompanied by 0.75 speed body-rolls. It makes one actually feel seeexxxxyyyyy and that my unnies is a perk money can't buy however much Dr Kim tells you otherwise.

Alas, instead of a Red Hot placing, Perfect 10 will just have to settle for this less steamy accolade:

[​IMG]

◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐

MID-TABLE

[​IMG]

EccentricSimply: I wasn’t too keen on this song at first, but it slowly made me enjoy it. [SQSH: Considering it made it on to your ballot above the other RV tracks this year, i'm intrigued to know what swayed you based on this evaluation...]

ThighHighs: Gorgeous, but a bit low-key for the year-end rate.

Serg.: It's lower tier of the album and still an 8? Talent only

Aries: There are better Perfect Velvetcuts which could've taken it's place, namely "I Just" and "Attaboy".

FULL(ish) MARKS

[​IMG]

Karmarisma: Gosh Red Velvet's vocals are soooo lush and heavenly and I just want to melt again. It's soooo sensual and soothing. I love myself a high quality Velvet track. I still think SHINee's Perfect 10 is the best Perfect 10 song made.

Cotton Park: Another haunting voicebath from the phenomenal phive. [SQSH: The imagery of this statement is quite something - RVoicebaths: the new regime in Aural Hygiene]

Eliminathan: It's all in the name even if I'm a newly reborn Red Velvet Anti. You did my boys dirty.

Kuhleezi: What kind of rate-baiting title? [SQSH: I'll be your Perfect sub 7.5?]

RUNAWAY: This song doesn’t need any commentary. It’s just so good.

He: Lovely slow jam. Let me make a playlist with OEC and Red Velvet’s down tempos.

Slice of Life: I love gyrating seductively to this. I'm afraid that's the only commentary I can provide for this, thanks. [SQSH: Same sis. Same.]

Ryan_Riot92: MY FAVORITE TRACK FROM THE PERFECT VELVET ERA!! Not quite a ballad but close. It’s what I want when I think of the Velvet side of Red Velvet. Smooth, slow and classy.

NUL POINTS

[​IMG]

Salami: I prefer The Red than this stuff, sorry.

Empty Shoebox: The vocals are fine, but it's just not an inspiring song to me.

Monkey0: Uninteresting album track that should remain only in posession of die hard fans. [SQSH: @Ceir is aiming for you as we speak...]

20. Why would you trust me? I'm the worst.

Aries, Vixen, karmarisma and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.