THE SO+Y 2017: ◈⟐ THOT 100 ◈⟐ #38 // #37 | Page 62 | The Popjustice Forum

THE SO+Y 2017: ◈⟐ THOT 100 ◈⟐ #38 // #37

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Squashua, Dec 4, 2017.

?

How many songs should make the SO+Y Final?

Poll closed Dec 16, 2017.
  1. Let's make it a Top 100.

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Same as last year - 60 songs.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. 80 sounds like a reasonable extension.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. He

He

Merkel's cameo is a kii.

2. Talk about a drag that the good sis Yenny lost ha song in the SO+Y a day before she releases her next artsy pair of songs.

3. Did Dreamcatcher's Good Night make it to the 100 we rated (I can't remember dddd)?

Cause if not, what the fuck is wrong with us and not supporting that bop.

BEST FICTION and junglefish like this.
  4. We needed more Twice and Red Velvet, remember?

5. Let's not act like Dreamcatcher didn't have like 4 songs in Top 100

ThighHighs likes this.
  6. [​IMG]

7. Heiße Scheiße. Kinda not really its really "hot shit" not "hot mess" but it rhymes.

Hot Mess... in German... hot mess...

[​IMG]
    "Es ist was es ist."

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Monkey0, Kuhleezi and ThighHighs like this.

8. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

TRASH FOR IT 10s:
    Ceir // Cotton Park // @digitalkaiser
    EccentricSimply // @karmarisma // Monkey0

BEIGE ABOUT IT 4 to 5s:
    @Kuhleezi // Send Photo // Squashua

STRAIGHT UP ILJINS:
    1 - Salami

Oh boy oh boy there are going to be unnies gunning for me with this one (but probably more after @Salami if we're being honest - thanks for your villainry with this one sis!) but here lies one of my lowest scoring songs in the whole 100.

YES. You heard that right.

one of my LOWEST

[​IMG]

But why?

It's not objectively the worst song in this list, nor the trashiest and it's SM so there's always going to be some level of sheen to it in a way most tadpole companies could never

but is it the biggest example in the whole 100 of "will this do?" talent squandering generic-ness?

[​IMG]

EXO has served up plenty of brilliant comebacks since i've been properly tracking K-Pop. The Eve and Ko Ko Bop are still in the game here (and i'd add What U Do? to that list too), the CBX boys are 2/2 on releases and I have fond memories of bopping along to Love Me Right and Monster. Power, on the other hand, is pretty much what happens when a board-meeting of suited middle-aged business exec blokes who only listen to the sound of rustling won notes come together to discuss ways that a group can make even more money with the smallest investment possible.

[​IMG]
    IN THE SM BAR-DROOM:

[​IMG]

"Hey fellas, let's not take any more time away from our drinking session hmm? I say we repackage these EXO lads most recent album and just put out an arbitrarily 'fun' sounding Chris Brown circa 2011 EDM demo with a nondescript, highly expected repeated chorus refrain that requires little to no studio recording time at all. Heck, we could probably get the sound nerds to just piece together some vocal stems - who cares if they sound bored? The audience won't even care over dem BIG. BUMPIN'. BEATZ. Is that what the kids use? Pretty sure they do. Don't question my authority in trend-setting lingo CARL...

And MV concept you say? Hmmm. Well fangirls love heroes and guys look up to them right? What about if we make the EXO boys heroes - IN SPACE? Yeah, yeah that's good. That's real good. Who would even think of that combo, it's brilliant! They just did a Power Rangers reboot so let's run with that kinda thing. If we pitch it as "comic-book-y" and "goofy" then the stans won't even mind if the acting is borderline ropey, the CGI looks like Wall-E on bath salts produced by Nickelodeon for their Thursday midday re-runs hour and the main robot villain has been, rather umimaginatively, designed to look like a white light-up butt plug. WAIT. Did I say that out loud? I meant... err... an EGG TIMER. Yes... a white light-up butt time.. I MEAN egg timer. Ahem.

Carry on as you were lads. Dave, first round's on you.

*overtly-masculine corporate guffawing ensues*

And with that, i'm out.
    Sorry EXO, at least this was just a one-time blip ey?

[​IMG]

◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐

BIOMASS

[​IMG]

Empty Shoebox: As I'm sure we've already established, I'm not a big fan of boybands, but this is okay. When it eventually gets started, that is.

Eliminathan: The video is uh, something. I feel the same about the song. This song couldn't hold a candle to Ko Ko Bop or The Eve. It's catchy but I don't think it's anything special. My faves look good in it though so that's also something.

D is for Danger! : A little generic, but not bad.

Kuhleezi: It’s pleasant enough, but other than the “Poweeeeer, poweeeeer” bits and some production tricks it always fails to leave a long-lasting impression

GeiPanda
    : Very straightforward bop, doesn’t really try to do anything unique or different. The MV director was totally living out his/her creative fantasies.

HYDRO-ELECTRIC

[​IMG]

Digitalkaiser (+ Gramps): Another song my husband likes, basically I’m letting him help me with some of these scores since he likes to chime in on kpop. Let’s call him @digitalgrandpa. He likes this because it has a ‘thomping beat’ and that’s sincerely digitalgrandpa (eyesemoji). [SQSH: When is he signing up to KPJ though?]

ThighHighs: This song is so fun, but it’s really all about the music video for me. When that fucking cat starts hitting the buttons, I was screaming.

Slice Of Life: This is how you do a basic bop, BTS. Learn from your sunbaes xoxo. [SQSH: Oh gosh, thank god DNA didn't make the final too.]

Karmarisma: This song was a 10 the first time I heard it just because of how uplifting it is. It makes me feel like I have the power. I can listen to this while washing the dishes, when forcing myself to stay awake at work, while I'm studying and hate myself. The best part was seeing EXO perform this live and ABSOLUTELY GOING OFF AND RAISING THE ROOF.

Monkey0: Truly, an euphoric anthem of the year.

Cotton Park: Nothing, and I mean, nothing gets me out of bed on a shitty Monday morning like this amazing slab of uplifting energy from EXO. It just builds and builds and when you think it's done it builds some more. I even like the Daft Punk filchery. I even like Kai.

Serg.: We love the only kpop song to be played in Dubai at the worlds largest fountain show [SQSH: I sense that the UAE may have just spotified and added any song with the word "power" in the title. Did Lana's Money Power Glory come on after too? Bop]

EccentricSimply: UNDERRATED BOP! Like c’mon, yes EXO does amazing ~serious music and this could easily come close to the level of cringe that Mama still offers, but it’s so damn refreshing seeing the way they said fuck it and just released a fun song. Their performances of it were all pretty great to watch because of the sheer amount of happiness in them and the song itself is a delight. Sometimes EDM can be good, I GUESS. [SQSH: I read this as more of an apology than a glowing review so I accept it.]

FOSSIL FUELS

[​IMG]

Salami: Only giving it 1 point because I only have 1 zero. I can’t stand this mess, they’re capable of so much more. It’s just noise, and as for the MV....worst one I’ve seen in a long time. [SQSH: I mean, Holiday wasn't particularly spell-binding either but I digress]

9. At the moment of it's release it wasn't known, but now it's kinda obvious the song was made for the Olympics.

10. He

He

I really don't care about Power. The video is ridiculously boring for how lush it looks, at least until the cat shows up.

Too little too late.

I also don't get EXO. Nor non-SHINee boy groups.

ThighHighs likes this.
  11. What’s there to get or not get?Just say you don’t like boy groups ddd

12. I liked this one, but it's not-UNgeneric, so it's ok to bow out now.

13. He

He

I don't. But that's obvious.

14. [​IMG]
    oh well...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Serg. and Squashua like this.
  15. EXO are easily my all time fav boy group but Power is like their worst single* so I'm not at all bothered by this going.

*Don't you dare link me MAMA in response, a nihilist debut with Gregorian chanting and a screamo middle 8? Iconic emo cultist kings.

karmarisma, Twinkle, Serg. and 2 others like this.
  16. Hear The Wind Sing, Deep Blue Eyes, What’s My Name? and a lot of Dreamcatcher can leave before Top 60.

McQueer, ThighHighs and Squashua like this.
  17. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.