THE SO+Y 2017: ◈⟐ THOT 100 ◈⟐ #38 // #37 | Page 66 | The Popjustice Forum

THE SO+Y 2017: ◈⟐ THOT 100 ◈⟐ #38 // #37

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Squashua, Dec 4, 2017.

?

How many songs should make the SO+Y Final?

Poll closed Dec 16, 2017.
  1. Let's make it a Top 100.

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Same as last year - 60 songs.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. 80 sounds like a reasonable extension.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. He

He

Shocker.

This has never happened to you, maknae.

2. Is today the international Maknae Dragging Day? LET ME LIVE.

3. Aw shit I’m actually sad about losing this one. It deserved so much better.

4. Wow why does @Monkey0 hate everything?

5. He

He

Mess. I missed the Love Letter elimination.

How fucking dare you all!?! This is outrageous and I’m disgusted.

Slice of Life and Squashua like this.
  6. [​IMG]

Aries, Sanctuary, Squashua and 5 others like this.
  7. Looking back, the @roux thing wasn’t all that big a deal was it? I don’t remember a lot of it other than posting that song a lot which was quite funny.

8. We get it. Your attitude goes downhill after 65.

9. I'M SO MAD AT THIS ELIMINATION. KPJ DOING ALBUM TRACKS WRONG AGAIN. Y'ALL FLOPS.

I would give this a 10 now. So, so good.

Aries, eliminathan, Kuhleezi and 5 others like this.
  10. I'm going to strangle you and not in a way you like it usually!

Aries, Squashua, karmarisma and 5 others like this.
  12. Just as a lowkey observer at the time, they just seemed extremely hostile in most of their interactions and it's like...

Calm down, Greg, it's just soccer k-pop.

Aries, BEST FICTION, Squashua and 6 others like this.

13. IT'S THE FIRST ANDRA
    BEIGESEN ELIMINATION

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BUT WHICH WILL BE THE ONLY ONE
    TO MISS TOP 50?

[​IMG]

TRASH FOR IT 10s:
    @BEST FICTION // Eliminathan // Monkey0
    @Sanctuary // Squashua

BEIGE ABOUT IT 4 to 5s:
    @Gintoki // Ohnostalgia // Salami

STRAIGHT UP ILJINS:
    [​IMG]

For a forum that's predominantly comprised of men who will happily let other men tamper with their various orifices, it seems counter-intuitive that the ears remain the only place off-limits for many of our voters when it comes to those artists with XY chromosomes.

¡Dios mío!
    #KMISANDRISTJUSTICE is far too alive and well
    but at least this earned:

[​IMG]

And what a shame that is for y'all because you're missing out on stone cold, flaming inferno gems like this. Straight up, I will fight anyone that doesn't believe that O Sole Mio isn't one of the best K-Pop songs of last year, let alone not one of the best K-boy tracks of 2017. As ridiculous as it is suave, as bombastically eccentric as it was on-trend, i'm still mad this wasn't to K-Latin pop what Blood, Sweat and Tears was for K-Trop House (imagine how huge this would've been if BTS had released it instead of DNA). It really should've kicked started the trend in SK, broke them through to the masses and ushered in the era of a GAON approved boygroup that are actually interesting and willing to experiment with their sound, style and concepts. This, Tawp Madam's Hallelujah (hey HEY HEY) and Sonamoo's equally-delirious I (Knew It) (which is luckily, and unsurprisingly, still here) remain the Sole-y Trinity of a K-Latin trend that never really got started and we will mourn that loss of boppery for a long while yet (especially when you consider bands are still churning out now-derivative trop-pop almost two years after it was thing).

Best bits of this whole package, and honestly the video is crazy good, include the Rodrigo y Gabriela-esque guitars sparking up all over the place, the bin-bag liner matador... blouses(?), the nonsensical plot involving a Spanish Holy Grain search on Tatooine that changes rose colours, sends the boys blowing up La Iglesia de Nuestra Señora Shaman Unnie and pool diving for radioactive fruit and this solo dance-capade that may or may not have left me pregnant in a telenovela style of high camp melodrama:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and a special KII-worthy shoutout for it sounding like they're repeatedly saying "Dolmio" in the pre-chorus. Pasta + Serenades + Cape-ography is the way to mi corazon fellas <3

[​IMG]

◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐

OH NO SHE BETTER MATADON'T

[​IMG]

Empty Shoebox: Too much hip-hop here for me.

Cotton Park: Sure, it's a great song, but better than "Plz Don't Be Sad" which for some mysterious reason was eliminated? Nah, and you all know better. It's not even SF9's best song of the year. [SQSH: On this occasion CP, I disagree with every part of this, aside from the admission of it being a great song.]

Gintoki: One of the cringiest songs I heard on this list, with those Italian and Spanish lines... but thank God they stop there. [SQSH: Considering there are Spanish & Italian-speaking voters who loved it I feel like the cringe is unwarranted]

SIESTA

[​IMG]

EccentricSimply: If it wasn’t for the latin music vibes in this the song wouldn’t be even half as good. As it is, they took it and did a pretty decent job with it. I do have to comment that the song having a name in Italian but using lyrics in Spanish and Latin is a bit of a kii. [SQSH: To be fair, the song basically is a latin music facsimile so without those vibes it probably wouldn't even exist].

Ceir: Multi-lingual kings. I love the song, but it gets…boring after repeated listens. [SQSH: In contrast, this is my second most played male-Kpop song of 2017 so my latin Casanova fantasy still lives on thank you very much]

FIESTA

[​IMG]

ThighHighs: A flamenco inspired bop. I’m so glad that this is the track that got through! Love the chorus and the rap.

Karmarisma: I can't believe this was saved from Andra Beigesen and it wasn't even the best SF9 song of the year. You should all be ashamed and sent to Latin hell, and forced to listen to Despacito on repeat for 56 hours. This song would be a 10 if it wasn't for that huge forced rap fart in the middle and SF9 mixing 20 languages and confusing the heck out of me.

He: Love that Spanish bit.

Serg.: Despacito wishes it was this well crafted and fun [SQSH: Has every latin-themed song since Peptobismo been better than it? Maybe so.]

Kuhleezi: So crazy how different this latin bop sounds from the rest of the bunch here!

Ryan_Riot92: If you couldn’t tell that there Latin influences in this song already, that guitar in the beginning opens up the song perfectly to set the mood. The instrumental was what truly captivated me with this track and really shines throughout the track.

Slice of Life: SF9 has really come alive in 2017 huh. Between this and the underrated Easy Love, these guys are proving they are here to stay. I love this multingual bop. It's current and pretty trend-chasing (Despacito found rotting etc) but is still very K-Pop which is always appreciated.

Monkey0: Best Latin-inspired track this year, if I may say. THE SPANISH GUITAR. It's sexy and dramatic. That little Indian/Middle Eastern (?) part mixed just before chorus kicks in is amazing.

Eliminathan: This group is just about a year old and they're releasing songs this good. Who allowed that?! Even if you all dragged Easy Love. (and KNK's rain, TAEMIN's Flame of love and whichever other boy group was there.)

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    ohnostalgia, Aries, Island and 12 others like this.
  14. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ohnostalgia, Aries, Island and 16 others like this.
  15. When all y'all start stanning for boy LOONA you'll have to sit back and reflect on your misandrist ways not supporting all of these bops.

[​IMG]

Aries, vikeyeol, karmarisma and 7 others like this.
  16. Sorry but @Shockbox is a japanese imperialist and cunt are two of the most iconic threads on this forum.

Aries, Island, PopZeitgeist and 14 others like this.
  17. Whenever @Alouder98 tried even the slightest dig at f(x)

[​IMG]

Aries, Island, karmarisma and 6 others like this.
  18. Good times.

19. He

He

That write up is everything!

Can we rename the sub forum to this?

Yeah, this bop deserved much better.

Island, karmarisma, RUNAWAY and 4 others like this.

20. I

[​IMG]

AM

[​IMG]

ENRAGED

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

TRASH FOR IT 10s:
    @Ceir // D is for Danger! // @McQueer
    Ryan_Riot92 // Squashua // ThighHighs

BEIGE ABOUT IT 4 to 5s:
    Cotton Park // @PopZeitgeist // Send Photo

STRAIGHT UP ILJINS:
    3 - Monkey0

[​IMG]

How in the WORLD, the UNIVERSE and all that is HOLY under SHAMAN UNNIE'S MANICURED PRISON ORANGE NAILS are you going to explain yourselves being on a POP, yes - a P.O.P POP forum - and apparently having taste enough to stan for underappreciated female talent of the genre AND YET still let perhaps the greatest 2017 example of a infinitely buoyant, completely feel-good, no frills, EXEMPLARY, A-GRADE, MASTERCLASS OF A POP RECORD complete with visually appealing (despite the low budget) video, iconic choreography, some of the best K-Pop vocal adlibs this side of Taeyeon, more hooks than a maimed pirate convention, an actual SK breakthrough which sparked an infamous backlash, sajaegi scandals and the tie-in promotion of Korean national cuisine FLOP THIS BADLY HMM? Explain to me this because I don't understand what about this song is worth anything LESS than top 30 of the year. Do you not enjoy life? Is happiness to you what decency and not-being-a-creep are to Super Junior i.e. elusive? Do you struggle to find joy in the recesses of your non-big-3-and-LOONA-spurning souls? If they had been decked out in Balenciaga caps and crotch-high Vetements boots would you have finally felt it worthy of your time? Did you take the song's pre-chorus refrain "Let's get a little wicked" to mean "Let me morph into a netizen troll" ? Could you not relate to the feeling of fluttering heart post-first kiss euphoria because you had already sold yours to YG after he promised you more half-arsed 2NE1 demos that will never materialise?

[​IMG]

But anyway, Laboum really continue to be one of the most-underappreciated girl groups on the scene - in part because I think they straddle a line between girly pep and retro quirk so rarely seen in K-Pop and many international K-listeners refuse to accept that groups without a girl crush concept could actually deliver songs that aren't Apink clones from 2012. Hwi Hwi remains one of my absolutely favourite songs of 2017 - the chorus makes me feel so incredibly happy, it's sing-a-long, dance-a-long magic many groups globally wait a lifetime for and somehow this six gal unit managed it out of nowhere. Heck, this song is SO powerful it single-handedly caused an immaculate conception in the stomach of their rapper Yulhee forcing her to leave on a whistling donkey to Bop-lehem to give birth to the next generation of super nugu.

[​IMG]

If anything you guys missed out on this getting a choreo renenactment from me if it had gone top 10 because i've got this one hands down. If you still really needed convincing on why this deserves all the love and success it kind of got (through a dubious food-selling tie-in deal no one really knows to this day whether it was legit or not) then I have four words for you.

I MISSSSSS

[​IMG]

DISSSSSSS

[​IMG]

KISSSSSSSSSSS

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Regardless of whatever it took them to get to this point, and whatever (mis)fortunes await them in a post-The UNI+/sajaegi scandal world, the video below really encapsulates how much this one song's momentary success meant to them.

A TRUE POPJUSTICE
    (even if it takes probable scamming to get it - it still counts)

◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐

THREE COURSES FULL OF KISSES

[​IMG]

Salami: Much better than it should be, not the kind of song I like usually but those whistles get stuck in your brain.

Empty Shoebox: This is nice and catchy and fun.

D is for Danger!: My tteokboki-shilling payola queens! This song is pop perfection. The chorus is absolutely incredible! The whistles are genius! Soyeon is a vocalist to be reckoned with. Your faves wish they could hit those double high notes at the end the way she does. She just keeps going!

Serg.: It's like~ feel good song but also brings back nostalgic feelings... Can your fave song do that? I don't think so

Ceir: My tteokbokki queens!

Kuhleezi: Will Carly Slae Jepsen ever stop being the most influential human being that’s ever lived on this planet? [SQSH: I'm curious what about CRJ this is an allusion to...]

McQueer: Yo these other girls WISH they had a perfectly crafted pop tune like this. Damn.

Ryan_Riot92: I was REALLY tempted to give this my 11 and probably should because I know it’ll get done so dirty in this rate because don’t have taste… Seriously though! It deserves so much love and appreciation between the catchy whistle and the sweet uptempo vibe … not to mention the song has some sprinkles some retro-ness. LABOUM have had their down moments but this year was great for them and hope to see them grow even more in 2018. [SQSH: Well you predicted the "getting done dirty in the rate" rate part right at least sis *sighs*]

Slice of Life: Kweens of Scandals and Tteokboki! Sajaegi aside, this is an undeniable pop song with hooks for days. I MISS THIS KISS is highkey one of the best catchphrases of 2017. The song is pretty simple but it packs so much energy and charm that it's impossible to deny.

ThighHighs: This is tied with Red Flavor as the POP moment of the year. Effortlessly fun and sweet and performed within an inch of its life by the talented and underappreciated gals of Laboum. The video is visual candy and the dancing perfectly captures the song’s effervescence This is the chorus of the year for me.They DESERVED that music show win, and no matter what happens next for them, after the loss of their rapper (who they barely utilized, unfortunately) and their stint on The Unit, they’ll always have a stan in me thanks to this song..

A KISS WITH A FIST

[​IMG]

Cotton Park: I don't get it. It sounds like a TV commercial soundtrack for some super fresh floor cleaning solution or completely unnecessary and ineffective teen facial scrub. I can think of 100 songs I like more and... well... I know some people who like it and I'm sure I will someday, too. I'm slow sometimes.

Monkey0: I fail to see why would anyone care about this. [SQSH: Geez, just because most guys say this about me doesn't mean you have to too *sobs*]

Karmarisma: I will never understand the Laboum worship for Aalow Aalow but this song managed to hit me a little bit. I'm only really here for sultry Goddess Haein being this generation's new bagel queen. We love a pastry hunty. Not strong enough to make my hwig fly off. [SQSH: It can't fly because all Hwi Hwigs were incinerated by the first chorus].

"DELIVERED"

[​IMG]
    ^ This is also directed at you & your 6/10 @He.

EccentricSimply: A very cute song. It gets a bit same-y but it’s still a good listen.

Eliminathan: I MISSDISSKISS [SQSH: With that 6.5 score you don't deserve to utter such a mantra sis].

ohnostalgia, Aries, Island and 12 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.