THE SO+Y 2017: ◈⟐ THOT 100 ◈⟐ #38 // #37 | Page 73 | The Popjustice Forum

THE SO+Y 2017: ◈⟐ THOT 100 ◈⟐ #38 // #37

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Squashua, Dec 4, 2017.

?

How many songs should make the SO+Y Final?

Poll closed Dec 16, 2017.
  1. Let's make it a Top 100.

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Same as last year - 60 songs.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. 80 sounds like a reasonable extension.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Well that song is a very obvious Top 10 so that's... sad.

Aries, eliminathan, RUNAWAY and 3 others like this.
  2. @Salami put your location on, I wanna fight.

Island, digitalkaiser, Aries and 9 others like this.
  3. I'M SO MAD IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY UGHHHHHH

Island, digitalkaiser, Aries and 7 others like this.
  4. He

He

What the hell?

This song is amazing and much better than the 4Minute redux left.

Ban @Salami!

Island, digitalkaiser, Aries and 8 others like this.
  5. Where Are You? got a zero?? What the fuck.

digitalkaiser, Aries, McQueer and 8 others like this.
  6. I'm eh on Suzy missing the Top 40, but As If It's Your Last was... excellence. Gross.

Aries, Salami, Serg. and 4 others like this.
  7. These can go next since one already did kiii.

8. @Squashua
    [​IMG]

Thank you for sharing your story.

digitalkaiser, Aries, Serg. and 5 others like this.
  9. He

He

@Squashua, I'm glad you made it through that heartbreak, boo.

Fighting!

10. Why do I have a feeling that Ending Credit is gonna leave us soon too?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not ready.

Aries, Ceir, He and 5 others like this.
  11. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Errr where is my comment for Where are you? Was I that much drunk when I wrote it?
    [​IMG]

Squashua likes this.
  13. I stand by my choice.

ThighHighs likes this.

14. AFTER THE CONTROVERSY LAST TIME

HERE'S SOMETHING TO APPEASE THE MASSES

[​IMG]

TRASH FOR IT 10s:
    Aries // Eliminathan // @GeiPanda
    Monkey0 // RUNAWAY // @Sanctuary
    @ThighHighs

BEIGE ABOUT IT 4 to 5s:
    McQueer // @vikeyeol

STRAIGHT UP ILJINS:
    [​IMG]

THE KPJ MOB HEARING OF DINOSAUR'S ELIMINATION FINALLY:

[​IMG]

Every rate, especially those with multiple songs from multiple artists, has their very own "Little Bop That Could". A song that defies their off-the-radar impact by simply being very good and palpable for one and all, rather than the monster releases that are super divisive and end up taking a knock on a points average front. This is my third (and a half) hosted rate here on KPJ and, without fail, there's always at least one song that fits this underdog tale, despite the usual calling-for-its-elimination. Last year's SOTY featured both SeoYuri's Secret scrambling past almost half the field without any need of a MIRIKAL MIRIKAL MIRIKAL and Berry Good would prove to outlast numerous other trop-bops with Don't Believe.

This year?
    Our first L.B.T.C is but one word
    yodelled at the top of your lungs from a mountain top:

Hoooooo Hoo-Hoo-HOOOOOOO

HoooOOOOOoooOOOOoooOOOOoooooh

HoooOOOOOoooOOOOoooOOOOoooooh

DI NAH SAWWWWWWWWW

[​IMG]

AKMU (or Akdong Musician for long) are a brother/sister folk-pop team who were taken into South Korea's bosom, and YG's Dungeon dwelling family, after winning the second series of K-Pop Star (back when it was bigger than Produce 101 at its height). Their usual M.O flits around acoustic pop, folk pop, jazz pop and generally building lush harmonies around quirky imagery and a refreshingly millennial approach to songwriting. Naturally, most of these things, plus their penchant for ballad / coffee house heavy album cuts, means they've not really been on KPJ's register since i've been a part of this forum.

UNTIL NOW

[​IMG]
    I feel like I need to put on my best David Attenborough voice watching the chorus sequences like the above.

With a Stranger Things-on-Netflix apeing promo rollout seemingly suggesting we were in for a horror (!!) concept and the news that the pair were set to do a SUMMER EDM (!!!) single, suddenly eyes rolled over to gaze upon this comeback. Needless to say, this isn't your standard trop-bop fare but still no less of a bop perfect for those long walks on the coastline than many others in the genre. Built around a quasi-folk-EDM hybrid but also neither of those things to a parody level (i.e. it's not another Wake Me Up or Avicii clone), Dinosaur really demonstrates that artistic imput and vision into any genre can create something both accessibly boppable and drenched in depth, whether those deep caverns focus on vocal technique (the harmonies, Su-Hyun's ad-libs my god), emotional resonance or employing the power of pristine, clean minimalism.

I think for me, whilst it's a song I admittedly haven't come back to since last summer, it's the sense of melancholy, sigh-and-release about this that makes it so unique and worthwhile a listen compared to many of the big K-Trop numbers. The video is very Narnia / Bridge to Terabithia except under a Netflix washed-out filter, full of static, darkness, rugged landscapes and the fabled DINASAWW of the title, ominously stomping about them in pitch black of the night. The video would have you believe the narrative of overcoming bullies and learning to "roar louder" than them (as suggested in the lyrics) whilst I remember Umu from Classical Musicians React suggesting that the Dinosaur was an autobiographical fear of the siblings' family home being repossessed when they were younger.

Whilst I wouldn't suggest nor recommend shouting the names of extinct species at your problems in the hope they'll bugger off, there's a certain catharsis to this little boperoo. Whichever intrepretation you want to take, the general sentiment of a brooding ominous force, shown in the verses' hesitant climb to the fabled title, that one can overcome by learning to be brave (or in the song's case, warble the thing you fear most above that anxiety) is a really quite emotional subject matter for a summer release and I commend them for taking what's popular but playing it on their terms musically. Sure I do get some people will see this as merely another low-key EDM number, and the DINASAWWWRR refrain might well grate for a few, but it does deserve to be here in the final.

CAN WE ALSO TALK ABOUT THAT MIDDLE 8 / BRIDGE
    BACK INTO THE FINAL CHORUS AGAIN THAT GOT ME LIKE:

[​IMG]

PREHISTORIC FOLK HEAVEN.

◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐◈⟐

BOPNEY & FRIENDS

[​IMG]

EccentricSimply: They are just SO cute and they sound so good. Suhyun’s voice is one of my favorites in kpop and although I probably wouldn’t care about this song if it was anyone else doing it, they just make it extra good.

Salami: Im so glad I took a chance on listening to this, I love it. [SQSH: Something our dear sausage likes - the question has been answered!]

Slice of Life: Euphoric bawperoo! I tried so hard to sink this because I feel like this is below AKMU's usual standard, but I hear Suhyun's falsetto and everything is right in the world again.

Karmarisma: Ummm...our slow family band doing TROPICAL HOUSE??? What is right with the world? And it's not absolute trash??? Chanhyuk is a genius composer and Suhyun's little toots in the chorus make this song incredible.

GeiPanda: Eurovision gloriness. This is quite literally what you would get if you mixed Katrina And The Waves “Love Shine A Light” with Gina G’s “Ooh Ah Just A Little Bit”, and I live for it. Such a nice emotional delivery throughout. [SQSH: Surprising commentary actually as this is one of the least ESC-transferable K-Pop songs to my ears - at least in terms of the contest over the last 15 years I guess. NOT that i'd be against more songs going down this route in 2019 / for Asiavision]

Eliminathan: I listened to this song on repeat constantly when I first heard it to the point that my young nephew could sing along. It's a shame they didn't promote this song on music shows. [SQSH: I wonder if this would've translated well to the music shows? It's not quite like Lim Kim doing Love Game.]

Ryan_Riot92: Were you expecting and tropical bop from the Nation’s Siblings? I wasn’t! The track is full of intriguing moments and what I love about it is that Suhyun sings over the instrumental breaks and literally becomes a part of it where as a lot of other trop-bops of the year just let the music do the work.

ThighHighs: Wow this perfection. I liked some of their older stuff, but this completely took me by surprise. The electronic touches in the background production is really effective, but subtle enough to avoid being too generic. The best thing about it is the chorus, which evades being an instrumental cliche by replacing the electronic hook with Soohyun vocalizing. The actual chorus is a stunner, too. By the time the song comes to an end it really feels like an emotional arc has been completed.

Monkey0: There's something both naive and strong in this song. Like, AKMU "discovering" EDM gave them new way to express themselves. Pair that with lyrics and you got very emotional song in genre that's not really know for that. [SQSH: Monkey AND Salami??? Give Dinosaur the crown now y'all]

RUNAWAY: this song is freaking awesome and their vocals have never sounded better! SO SO GOOD!

Aries: A tropical triumph. Suhyun's vocals are heavenly.

FOSSIL PIECES

[​IMG]

Empty Shoebox: Not sure exactly what it is about this that I don't like, apart from the 'hoooo's after the 'dinosaur's, but is that enough to justify a six? Maybe not, but it was the only number in my head when I was listening to it.

Serg.: I went two full circles with this song I've loved it, I've hated it, I've avoided it, I've adored it... I'm neutral as of now but I can put that aside and cheerish the good moments spent with this playing and headphones in my ears

UNEXPLAINED EXTINCTION

Despite everyone coming for this poor little boperoo's scalp throughout the final 100, no one put down any scathing or any actually bad commentary for it so I guess prehistoric T A L E N T prevails nonetheless.

[​IMG]

15. Akdong Musician are sooooo cute. Check out their debut album if you haven't already. It's one of the best debut albums in K-Pop. It's a full album too.

And their magnum opus:

Serg., Aries, RUNAWAY and 6 others like this.
  16. [​IMG]

Island, Vixen, BEST FICTION and 12 others like this.
  17. I'm fucking done. I love you.

Island, Vixen, BEST FICTION and 10 others like this.
    Island, Vixen, BEST FICTION and 10 others like this.
  19. Y'all don't deserve Dinosaur.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.