The state of the UK Top 40 | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

The state of the UK Top 40

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by AcerBen, May 15, 2011.

1. All this talk about 'starting a revolution' is a bit premature, no? Look at this forum; there are hardly any posts about those amazing indie pop bands, singer-songwriters etc. that aren't given a fair chance by those evil record companies and Radio 1. You may not hear them on the radio, see them on TV, but even during the last indie wave you could always find a good, unsigned pop act on the Internet. It will take a year or two for a new pop wave to arrive (and no, Adele isn't revolutionary in any way).

Also, I don't understand how someone can look back on 2005 and say it was a good year for pop ('pop pop', not indie pop or urban pop). Come And Get It and Chemistry were both ignored by the public, Rachel was dropped and well, we all remember the legendary 'fighting the uphill battle' Sarah quote. How is that better than this whole Clare Maguire situation, I have no idea.

Complaining about the top40 is like complaining about other people's taste. 'Oh my, what do they see in Pitbull?' and things like that. Who cares? You got an album you like, will probably get another one - it's all good, I think. A good song is a good song, even if it peaked at no.87, you can still enjoy it. And radio is just outdated, so fuck them.

Oh, and Vas - I think I love you. You say all the right things.

2. Oh Eric....... how could you leave out this Gay classic!!!!

26 Gloria Gaynor I Am What I Am

3. vasilios

vasilios Guest

Let's get married while the UK Top 40 plays!

4. Haha! Yes, I realised afterwards that it could be included in that list, and thought someone would rightly pick up on that.

5. That's exactly what I was going to say. The 'Born This Way' of 1984.

More proof that absolutely everything Gaga does has been done before. Better.

6. I would recommend that you avoid the Gaga threads right now, if you value your survival that is.

7. I've never set foot in a Gaga thread.

Nor would I.

8. I dip my toes in every now and then but I can't really comment on her music as I've successfully avoided it! I'm more interested in her public image and how people perceive her rather than the music anyway.

9. I'm just not interested at all.

I quite like the idea of her, at least she's making an effort.

I don't dislike her in any way but for some reason I just haven't been able to warm to her or her music.

10. I'd never do it either or a Sugababes thread for that matter!

Although I am not a particular fan of GaGa's music I do think it's really important that the Youth of today have their own pop icon like her.....personally I have seen it all before and I'm already tired of the over exposure she gets. When are we going to see a serious challenge to her current 'Queen Of Pop' crown!?

EDIT. I just went into the GaGa thread for a peak! Boy,123 guests viewing that thread...

11. Popjustice

Popjustice Staff Member

Can you get back on topic please. Thanks!

12. I miss the days when songs would be removed from the charts so they could release the next single.

13. vasilios

vasilios Guest

No wonder you don't like the UK Top 40 then!
    Gaga's singles (and those influenced by her sound) are all over it / some of the best singles of the last years!

14. I'm not sure what's going on but have you seen this weeks Top 40?

It's actually halfway decent!!!

Emeli Sandi came in at No2 when I was expecting a peak of around 47?

There are ballads in the Top 10??

All kinds of genres are represented???

As Michelle Gayle would say.................

[video=youtube;3f7tIYOWTpw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f7tIYOWTpw&feature=player_detailpage#t=35s[/video]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  15. Yes it is looking up a bit, though I don't think much of the number 1 by Wretch 32. Emeli Sandé at 2, Maroon 5 at 3, Christina Perri at 4 are all good, and even Nero at 5 I can at least see some sort of musical merit in for being a bit different. Ed Sheeran at 6 is great, Rizzle Kicks at 8 again is something a bit different, and The Wanted at 10 are good.

The only two really shit records in the top 10 are the JLS one and the David Guetta one.

16. The UK chart is far more diverse than the US one.

17. I'm just glad we don't have Katy Perry going to number one five times over here.

Emeli Sandé going to #2 renews my faith in the British public.

18. I'm an optimistic person but I'm still a bit skeptical about the British charts. Swagger Jagger got #1, I'd rather have the five Katy Perry chart-toppers...

19. No idea why Britney Spears isn't at #1 here!

20. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Guest

This week's #1 (Olly Murs - Heart Skips a Beat) is an amazing pop song.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.