The Streaming Wars | The Popjustice Forum

The Streaming Wars

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Trinu 3.0, Aug 8, 2019.

1. We all know it’s coming.

• Disney has announced a bundle that includes Hulu and ESPN for just 13 doulas. The whole of Disney's past catalogue, plus Marvel, plus Star Wars, plus The Simpsons… that’s a lot.
    • AppleTV+ is coming this fall with big names like Oprah, Steven Spielberg, Witherspoon and Aniston sharing a show about a TV show, and their own dip into sci-fi with Asimov’s Foundation (maybe?) to keep the geeks happy. Expected to be on the cheap side of things just to steal a few more of those Netflix subscribers.
    • Friends is moving to HBO Max where they’ll share the toilet with the rest of HBO, DC (lel), CW and eeeeeeverything Warner does. Harry Potter, though, stays with NBC until 2025.
    --

Do you think it's getting a bit too much?
    Are you planning on jumping ship when a shinier and newer one comes around?

I am honestly excited about some of the stuff hinted at from Disney+ and AppleTV, but I don't think I can justify churning out more money per month when I am barely able to enjoy whatever I'm watching on Netflix already. And I don't want to feel like I'm out of the loop!

I think these companies are either too naive and don't realise that people will probably organise their group of friends and/or relatives to share cost and passwords... or they are going to become a lot more strict when it comes to how many different IP addresses can access a certain account at the same time or something.

In any case, there's only so much butter for all the bread that's coming out of the oven.

In the meantime, please watch Derry Girls.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  2. It was somewhat of an inevitability that the content owners would start to develop their own services, to prevent Amazon and Netflix taking market dominance.

The irony being that the cable-cutting generation who wanted to save money on TV licenses/cable by signing up to one streaming platform, are increasingly going to find out that they would need to pay the same amount as they did with a traditional TV package to get the content they want. In reality though, that is not going to happen.

I think it will largely result in a huge amount of loss-leaders and investment in content for the next five years or so. All of these parent companies have deep pockets and can afford to haemorrhage money for a looooong time. Some may eventually pull out after a few years, once they realise that people will stick with one package, and either password share or illegally view the one or two shows on another platform that they want to see. Content costs a huge amount of money and due to the rise of binge-watching the demand is higher than ever before - but people simply aren't prepared to pay what they used to for it. If you do the maths, this is not going to be a hugely profitable industry to be in as a small player.

3. As clients we're probably on the winning side of this because there won't be a lack of new things to watch (having the time to watch them is another story). But I wouldn't be surprised if platforms thinned these shows out a lot as years pass and they realise people just aren't signing up. And it wouldn't surprise me if this ended up in a new surge of piracy.

I can't see Disney+ failing because their catalogue is simply massive and I'm sure families with children will opt for them. Amazon offers a lot more than just TV with their Prime subscription. And I'm sure AppleTV will do fairly well simply with their fanboys' support. The rest... who knows.

4. My streaming sites are: NOWTV (I hardly ever use it now due to the shitty 720p cap), Prime Video (so many good shows: Buffy, Parks, The Office, Modern Family, Community), Netflix (Dynasty, Drag Race, Forensic Files) and Hayu (Project Runway and Real Housewives).

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  5. Canada is a bit different as we don't have Hulu. Most Hulu series go to Crave, which also houses the HBO and Showtime catalogs (at an added expense). Right now I pay for Netflix and Crave with the HBO expansion, and I have a Prime account through my friend. I use Netflix the most but I watch a lot of HBO and some Hulu, so Crave is nice to have. It's getting a bit annoying, and I don't think I want more than 3 (as I also pay for cable on top of streaming services), but I know that it's likely that the stuff I watch the most on Netflix as casual comfort TV (The Office, Grey's, Friends) will eventually be gone elsewhere. They already lost Buffy, which killed me, and as far as I know it isn't even on another streaming service in Canada yet. I really only use Prime for Parks & Rec, though I've been rewatching Friday Night Lights there as well lately.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  6. Yeah, I wonder how they'll deal with all the different markets.

In Spain, many Netflix shows were being aired through Movistar+ (also phone and internet provider), and when Netflix arrived many of their originals were not in their own platform (Orange, House of Cards, etc.) because Movistar+ had the rights to those. As of right now, Orange is only up to S5 on Netflix and Movistar has 6th and 7th. Convenient that is not.

!!!!!

This just reminded me that I have to cancel my account dd
    I had mine included with my phone or something but only for two years, which finishes next month.
    Seeing that I'm not gonna be living in the UK anymore and that everything in there is somewhere else already... meh.

DominoDancing and 4Roses like this.
  7. I have amazon prime because it’s free as I’m student, Netflix and I’ll probably get Apple+ if they bundle it together with Apple Music and Apple News+ subscriptions
    Annoyingly Disney+ doesn’t even have a release date in the U.K. yet

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  8. There's also Britbox, a joint venture between the BBC and ITV which is ambitious because most people I know don't even pay the TV license.

I imagine the Disney product will do well, owing to the fact that they essentially have a monopoly on every blockbuster franchise at this point. I'm not so sure about the others though. If people are dropping their Netflix subscriptions, does that really suggest that people are looking to buy more subscription packages?

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  9. I cancelled my Netflix account as my boyfriend already had his own, and we’d been using it to watch a lot of shows together. Plus his sister shares the account too so it made sense to keep that one. I don’t think I can see us ever getting rid of it as I like to rewatch Orange is the New Black. Ironically, I’m not a huge binge watcher and like to take my time with an episode or two a day (especially for shows with 1 hour episodes).

I might pay for the Disney streaming service if it ever gets round to the UK. Though I already have the entire MCU on blu-ray, and prefer to watch The Simpsons only occasionally when it’s repeated on Channel 4 or Sky One.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  10. The problem is that TV streaming, like many internet products, gravitates towards a monopoly. If you have a TV show that you want to make available to streaming, it makes sense to sell it to the company with the largest user base. They can pay the highest price because they're making the most revenue and can spread costs over a larger subscription base. Then that content leads more people to sign up, and so on.

I think Disney has deep enough pockets, enough good shows/moves, and other motivations to survive indefinitely. I think NBC will flop hard and I'm pessimistic about HBO Max being very successful.

11. I read somewhere that they might chug their content on the Apple TV app without a subscription or anything, and I highly doubt. Still, if it's coming after Disney+ (which is probably making people flock from Netflix), its price should be attractive enough for people to consider it. I guess a bundle with Music could do the trick.

What I wonder is why aren't these companies just uploading their own material to their own websites and have advertisement get them money. Isn't it almost the same as doing constant reruns or whatever?
    It just feels very counterproductive that everyone and their sister is planning now on charging people because they own this or that show. Which is why I can't see NBC but flopping.

12. I do think Netflix needs to chill with their pricing, like they’ve put it up again but the content to me at the moment is not great - there’s way too many teen movies on there for me, I’m tired of seeing that Noah guy

4Roses and Tribal Spaceman like this.
  13. I only have Netflix, and it's honestly enough for me. I'm not such an avid TV-watcher or cinema-goer, and I don't have any money for DVDs or stuff like that, so if it's not on Netflix I probably won't watch it. I mainly use Netflix for the CW superhero series, k-drama and all the animated series that I wouldn't be able to watch legally otherwise.

14. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

Choice is good, but there's going to be too many competing services at this rate. Most people will subscribe to two at most, and many will fail.

For everything else it's gonna be a case of Did everyone try the piracy? I thought the piracy was lovely.

15. Right now, I have a Netflix, an Amazon Prime and a German Sky (translates roooouuuughly to HBO, basically they had Game of Thrones) subscription.

Coming up, I'm likely to get Disney+ when it comes to Germany (I mean...look at their library) in favour of Sky, although if Friends moves to Sky as it does to HBO I might reconsider, as it's my ultimate background noise.

Apple is something of a no-go for me, and quite honestly the names attached there (and I'm mostly talking about Spielberg here) don't impress me very much in 2019.

I agree with @Trinu 3.0 and @Smooth Criminal that this was inevitable. Netflix was just too good to be true for a long while, although in terms of their apps and how usable they are, they still are miles ahead of most of their competition.

16. Yeah, Apple doesn't have much yet apart from big names.
    But I'm excited for See, Foundation and whatever Shyamalan cooks up for them.

Which sucks.
    I think I haven't ventured into train stations since I started working and saw that I could just throw money into an app and have everything ready for consumption. But there's only so much money I can throw to watch one hour of TV a day (or 10 if it's Sunday and I'm hangover).

Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  17. I do think it’s getting ridiculous and people are going to stop paying. We may see piracy uptick again. No one is going be subscribing to 5 services and the only reason Netflix was as huge as it was is because it acted as an aggregator.

I’ll probably do a subscribe-cancel method, which I already kind of do. Subscribe to Prime when the new season of Maisel is out and binge that and anything else I’m interested in on the service. Then cancel and subscribe to Netflix the next month, etc. That’s the only way to keep costs down but still watch all the programming I’m interested in.

An Insider, Lapras, Mr.Arroz and 6 others like this.
  18. I wonder how long it'll be before the companies demand that people sign up for fixed term periods, similar to cable...then we'll really see piracy come back.

19. Poor CBS not getting a mention ddd.

I only have Netflix, Hulu free through Spotify, and use a friend of a friend's CBS All Access login that they probably don't know I have to catch up on Big Brother when I miss it during the summer

20. fff had no idea about them and had to check what shows are theirs... :/

I think the companies will have to be content with communal accounts. Unless they have a very big show that attracts people (and then again, they can always ask for a password to their neighbour)... the pie is just not big enough.

With Netflix axing shows left and right, I wonder if they'll approach the next few years with short series.
    Apple better not have signed a contract for more seasons of

cause that looks/sounds shit already.

Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.