The Streaming Wars

Paramount is easily the worst for me in terms of user experience. I've mostly been using it to watch through Cheers (which, by the way, has aged remarkably well for a show that started over 40 years ago) and it sometimes cuts to a 'this episode is currently unavailable' error message two or three times in a 25 minute episode. Hopeless.

Amazon announced in September that ads were on the way for Prime Video‘s entertainment content. Now we have a date.

On January 29, commercials will be introduced to series and movies airing on the service in the U.S., UK, Germany and Canada. That will be followed by France, Italy, Spain, Mexico, and Australia later in the year.

The move was announced in a letter sent to subscribers that described the addition of what was termed “limited advertisements” to allow the service “to continue investing in compelling content and keep increasing that investment over a long period of time.”

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!

I mean, “at least“ there won’t be ads on anything you bought or rented?

He/Him
https://tvline.com/news/amazon-prim...-price-increase-subscription-cost-1235047590/

Those who wish to maintain an ad-free viewing experience will have to pay an additional $2.99 per month, on top of their annual Prime subscription cost of $139.
They literally invented basic TV again... It reminds me of the 30 Rock joke where they tried to reinvent the microwave but ended up just making the Pontiac Aztec. Silicon Valley always reinvents things that seem great at first but become even worse than what they were before.

I hope they at least put the adverts in logical places. On Freevie I find they don't have adverts in the gaps they would be on traditional TV, and insert them in random places sometimes mid sentences.

He/Him
Prime is a streaming service that only warrants subscribing to for a month to binge the very small number of shows worth watching, and then cancel it.
Me waiting for season 4 of The Boys to watch it together with Gen V. Or maybe I'll just torrent them.

Me waiting for season 4 of The Boys to watch it together with Gen V. Or maybe I'll just torrent them.

Invincible is great too. But Prime has divided the new season in half with the second half coming later in January, as a way to keep people holding onto their subscriptions.

Makes you wonder how long consumers will stay faithful to paid subscriptions with this bare drip feed of shows. It’s not at all difficult to stream a torrent and then project it onto your tv in excellent quality.

He/Him
Invincible is great too. But Prime has divided the new season in half with the second half coming later in January, as a way to keep people holding onto their subscriptions.

Makes you wonder how long consumers will stay faithful to paid subscriptions with this bare drip feed of shows. It’s not at all difficult to stream a torrent and then project it onto your tv in excellent quality.
To be fair, animation is so much work, especially that show. I'm sure Amazon needed the new season at a certain date and when they were told they wouldn't get the full season, they had to split it.

LTG

he/him
I hope they at least put the adverts in logical places. On Freevie I find they don't have adverts in the gaps they would be on traditional TV, and insert them in random places sometimes mid sentences.
Yeah I’m sure it’ll be the same shit AI ad breaks software as Freevee

trains <3
I've never stopped using them!
miss-kitty.gif

To be fair, animation is so much work, especially that show. I'm sure Amazon needed the new season at a certain date and when they were told they wouldn't get the full season, they had to split it.

Sounds like bad management at Amazon. Netflix has amazing animation too that is not drip fed, followed by an abrupt stop, and then drip fed again.

He/Him
Sounds like bad management at Amazon. Netflix has amazing animation too that is not drip fed, followed by an abrupt stop, and then drip fed again.
Tell me you don't know anything about animation without saying you know nothing about animation.

Sure, Netflix can drop a batch of stuff so effortlessly. Let's talk about their most recent drop, Carol and the End of the World. Do you know when that content was done? Visual Development started in 2020. It was finishing the latter end of production in November 2021/early 2022. It didn't drop till December 2023. It's slow and tedious to work on an animated show, especially when it's not Harmony/Puppet animation (which Carol was and Invincible isn't). The former allows for faster and "easier" production while the latter takes a long time as it's individually drawn and animated. This is the case for most of Netflix's animated content, it's either Harmony/Puppet or 3D because it is cheaper/"easier" to do.

On top of that, Netflix Animation's choices kind of destroyed the animation industry... but that's a whole other story for another day. Skybound Animation is probably working overtime to try and deliver content that looks as good as it does and Amazon is either wanting to premiere it sooner or they worked this delivery schedule into the show's production schedule. Binging content has ruined people's ability to wait for things.

Tell me you don't know anything about animation without saying you know nothing about animation.

All I'm saying is don't announce a new season if the episodes aren't ready. If the episodes are not ready then start the season later.

Basically it's giving 'we don't have enough new content so just put this out even if it's not ready'.

He/Him
I actually like weekly drops. Apple and Disney have been doing them for a while, and it seems to help building the buzz for their shows - whereas if you drop the show all at once and it gets lost in the crowd, it's basically dead on arrival.
Exactly. It’s why the animated Netflix content has gone kind of unnoticed. They wanted a Steven Universe or a Gravity Falls but you can’t do that with binged. Leaves little to no hype.

I actually like weekly drops. Apple and Disney have been doing them for a while, and it seems to help building the buzz for their shows - whereas if you drop the show all at once and it gets lost in the crowd, it's basically dead on arrival.
I guess choice and variety is key- I like to watch some shows like House of Dragon on the day it drops- others I’ll happily wait till I have a week or twos worth and then catch-up.

I'm not a big fan of these split seasons because it breaks the momentum and with a show like Invincible (where there were multiple plot lines but no real direction) it felt a bit like -was that filler ? Or was it buildup?