The Streaming Wars

I begrudgingly do Prime year round as it's the only way I can get Hayu on my TV but save for the odd movie there's never anything of theirs I choose to watch, the moment they add a standalone Hayu app to my TV, I'm gone.

I might give Netflix the chop imminently, it's so underwhelming now. Almost everything is pointedly average.

The problem with Netflix now is the sheer quantity of lacklustre programmes that they have which makes it hard to find the good stuff. Outside of Mubi it is the best streaming service.

I think Canal+ in France has the winning formula. They already have an amazing library of blockbusters and arthouse movies and we get Netflix, Paramount+, Apple TV+ and Disney+ all bundled up in the same subscription.

The only problem in France is that we have subscribe to Prime Video in order to subscribe to the HBO/Warner bundle.

If Paramount does merge with Warner Discovery, I’m curious what that means for subscribers in the UK.

We don’t have Max here because HBO has a deal with Sky until 2026. But we do have Discovery+ and Paramount+.

If they merge, how will that work here?

HBO has a deal with Sky until 2026

giphy.gif

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/news...lix-slash-marketing-and-crack-down-on-sharing
Max will expand into new markets, including France, Latin America and Australia in the next 18 months. It will also take a page from Netflix by cracking down on password sharing. That initiative begins later this year and will roll out across 2025.

The service’s biggest quandary is existential. Max doesn’t stand for anything. If it’s not HBO, then what is that? The company is running out of time to answer that question.

patchy-the-pirate-spongebob.gif

he/him/basic cishomo
I am so confused by this. I watched S1 of And Just Like That in Medellín?? HBO Max was incredibly popular in Colombia. Everyone had it because you got it for free with Rappi Prime, the ubiquitous, incredibly iconic delivery service that I miss every day. Fuck.

Anyway, I left and came back to Idaho before ~Max was christened. I hate it here fuckkkk Did they actually just stop serving the entirety of Latin America when they rebranded? Wonder how many tens of millions someone got paid to make that decision if so, lol.

I am so confused by this. I watched S1 of And Just Like That in Medellín?? HBO Max was incredibly popular in Colombia. Everyone had it because you got it for free with Rappi Prime, the ubiquitous, incredibly iconic delivery service that I miss every day. Fuck.

Anyway, I left and came back to Idaho before ~Max was christened. I hate it here fuckkkk Did they actually just stop serving the entirety of Latin America when they rebranded? Wonder how many tens of millions someone got paid to make that decision if so, lol.

Max is still available in Latin America and is one of the biggest players here alongside Netflix and Disney, contrary to Lionsgate and Starz that had to leave the market. And yes, Max continues with its promotions with Rappi and Mercado Libre, and I still have my 50% lifetime discount offer as long as I don't cancel my subscription! It's great that they respected the offer I locked in back when I first signed up for HBO Max.